First Time DWC

Dont worry about the res temps and just run beanies. Hydroguard works wonders and is very easy. I dont care if its 99.99% water, the other .01% has the good stuff if that's the case. It has saved my grows many times and is cheap for me to get. Just run hydroguard as directed and you will have zero root issues. Root rot is fairly easy curable with beanies but you have already scrapped anyway so make sure you have some when you start fresh. Clones look great. Beanies help with rooting as well and you can mix up one gallon with beanies when you water.
Thanks for you’re I put. I will def be trying the DWC again just waiting on another tent for a bigger set up so I can have a veg/bloom tent separately. I still don’t understand what everyone means about “beanies” . Is that a separate cup/container aside from the regular DWC bucket for saturating you’re plants?

Thanks for you’re I put. I will def be trying the DWC again just waiting on another tent for a bigger set up so I can have a veg/bloom tent separately. I still don’t understand what everyone means about “beanies” . Is that a separate cup/container aside from the regular DWC bucket for saturating you’re plants?
Im pretty sure what Hunter is referring to with “beanies” is beneficial bacteria. Some people call em beanies, some bennies but it all means the same thing. Hydroguard is one of the many beneficial bacteria additives that will feed on the root rot and algae providing a better environment for your roots to thrive. Hope this helps clear up the beanies bennies confusion :thumb:

if you haven't scrapped the bucket plants yet, give hydroguard a try if you can. It really does work wonders.

Im pretty sure what Hunter is referring to with “beanies” is beneficial bacteria. Some people call em beanies, some bennies but it all means the same thing. Hydroguard is one of the many beneficial bacteria additives that will feed on the root rot and algae providing a better environment for your roots to thrive. Hope this helps clear up the beanies bennies confusion :thumb:

if you haven't scrapped the bucket plants yet, give hydroguard a try if you can. It really does work wonders.
Ok makes sense. Yeah I was using hydroguard/cannazym/great white. Problem was that I got hydroguard after the first sign of root rot in the mother plant, I was using an organic fertilizer and me being an amateur, I didn’t sterilize my PH probe when I had the clones running in a separate DWC. I hate root now but I learnt more than ever before. Next time around will be successful! Thanks though

I would say that res temps are something that you want to control if at all possible in DWC. Apart from the benefit of being able to make your nutrient solution a hostile environment for nasties by keeping the res cool, you are also increasing the amount of dissolved oxygen that can be held in the water, that will be available to the plant, which the roots will love, and be able to take up more nutrients. A lot of people grow without, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I definitely see a benefit of using a chiller vs not using a chiller. Just my 5c :peace:

Sorry 420Ragz... but you’ve got some horsepower in here that we both may learn from. To the experts... Immediately after a Rez change, my roots turn brown. I put a pretty good cleaning into the Rez before filling back up. I add Hydroguard and Z7 with my nutrient solution. I add Hydroguard again at 2ml/G after a day or so and then it cleans up and it’s perfect for 10+ days.

I use Flora nutrients and tap water. Our tap water has chloramine in it. Am I killing my bennies when I add them right away? Yeah.. I know RO water is better. I can’t get myself to waste that much water to use RO. If I do hydro, it’s gotta be with tap. Thanks peeps

Sorry 420Ragz... but you’ve got some horsepower in here that we both may learn from. To the experts... Immediately after a Rez change, my roots turn brown. I put a pretty good cleaning into the Rez before filling back up. I add Hydroguard and Z7 with my nutrient solution. I add Hydroguard again at 2ml/G after a day or so and then it cleans up and it’s perfect for 10+ days.
Are you using Hydroguard continuously? It can be used as a treatment, I also use it as a preventative measure so I use it most feeds.
I use Flora nutrients and tap water. Our tap water has chloramine in it. Am I killing my bennies when I add them right away? Yeah.. I know RO water is better. I can’t get myself to waste that much water to use RO. If I do hydro, it’s gotta be with tap. Thanks peeps
For me tap is a last resort - I prefer rain water over tap. But if i must use it (if im out of rain) then i use a water de-chlorinator (aka water conditioner) which removes both chlorine and chloramine. These may have a negative effect on bennies. The chloramine certainly isn't good for the plants.

I use it when I initially make my nutrient mix at rez change. In the next 24-48 hours, my roots turn brown. No smell, no slime, but brown with that ”twistup“. I add it again in a couple days and it clears everything up. I don’t add again until the next rez change. I haven’t been topping off (Yet). I may have to start as they’re drinking more. Thanks man...

I use it when I initially make my nutrient mix at rez change. In the next 24-48 hours, my roots turn brown. No smell, no slime, but brown with that ”twistup“. I add it again in a couple days and it clears everything up. I don’t add again until the next rez change. I haven’t been topping off (Yet). I may have to start as they’re drinking more. Thanks man...
I think you are on to something. I also got the brown twist thing after week 5(5th res change) but I know I had the 1st root rot after the 2nd week (smell/brown slime/twistI cut the rotten roots off the first time and it cleared nicely just slowed down growth. I used RO water the whole time and like I said before I used organic iguana juice the first 2 weeks without hydroguard or cannazym, only beanie was great white. I did the switch to AN sensi grow A&B/hydroguard/cannazym/great white after.
This kinda makes me think I probably could have gotten away with it without culling everything in the DWC.
Either way I couldn’t stand it. I think I’ll have nightmares about it if it happens again..
Good luck with you’re grow!

First roots appeared today on 4 of them. 2 of them look pretty impressive.
I transplanted them right away into some of the promix BX in some Dixie cups. with some great white sprinkled into the holes. I saturated them with ROH2O with ppm of 220. I’m using AN iguana juice/AN CalMagxtra/Hydroguard
I’ll be putting these 4 plants under the veg lights with the other 2 for only 4-6hrs then back under the dome just to harden them and not stress them out so much and so soon.
I will start the new thread as soon as I have the other 4 rooted.

19025850-CB55-4854-9D2C-C524AB2ED317.jpeg

263BBC03-5024-4F87-AE3A-4E3EB8D77FC5.jpeg

AD66FAB9-9811-4B0C-9A9F-7E5906E7CF25.jpeg

The final clones are just about done. There’s only 2 left that still haven’t showed any roots but they are still happy and alive. Late shows I suppose.
either way I’ve already decided which clones I will keep and grow.
I will be keeping 6 of the best.
One of the clones in the peat moss pellets has really impressed me with the speed of growth and it’s compact bushy size, I will be naming this one “crooked leaf” because of one of the lower leaves being more crooked than any I’ve ever seen.
it’s been a good grow journal for me as far as all the things I’ve learned about DWC and the experienced growers I’ve met. Lots of info and knowledge on here, really appreciate everyone that has given me any advice and knowledge on here. The best is yet to come and please stay tuned in the next journal for the next phase of these clones!

02E5D831-2F43-491D-B2EB-D917C5B5994D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom