My First Grow Journal - DWC - 90W LED UFO

i think i am seeing heat stress on the last photograph you posted. i would back off the compact florescent light to 5-6 inches. i believe a 600 watt Lumatek or 1000 watt Lumatek dialed down would work if you had a 6 inch cooltube and a 6 inch exhaust fan in a 4 foot by 4 foot tent. the nice thing about digital ballasts that can have their output wattage dialed down is if you run too hot in your tent at one setting you can dial it down to acceptable temperatures. the last 2 Lumatek digital ballasts i purchased a month and a half ago i got at thehydrosource.com , they also price match. make sure you order either the rectangular or the oval output connector you need for your cord set.

https://www.thehydrosource.com/lighting/ballasts/lumatek-digital-ballasts.html

https://www.google.com search Lumatek Digital Ballasts

i think i am seeing heat stress on the last photograph you posted. i would back off the compact florescent light to 5-6 inches. i believe a 600 watt Lumatek or 1000 watt Lumatek dialed down would work if you had a 6 inch cooltube and a 6 inch exhaust fan in a 4 foot by 4 foot tent. the nice thing about digital ballasts that can have their output wattage dialed down is if you run too hot in your tent at one setting you can dial it down to acceptable temperatures. the last 2 Lumatek digital ballasts i purchased a month and a half ago i got at thehydrosource.com , they also price match. make sure you order either the rectangular or the oval output connector you need for your cord set.

I agree with KingJohnC raise up the lights just a tad. I have mine the equal to the length of a cigarette pack/smart phone.

Thanks KingJohnC and greensmurf! now did it I hope she get better soon :Rasta:

KingJohnC I just bought this - New iPower (Premium Black) Dimmable 600 Watt HPS + MH Digital Grow Light W/ 6" Air Cooled Hood Plant Growing Light Lamp. Digital HPS MH Ballast + HPS Bulb + Air Cool Reflector + Timer + Pair Yoyo
ipower.png

and alsoa 6 inch exhaust fan with a 6 inch carbon filter. I just hope what I have ordered come soon :slide:

I know I said that I was on a low budget :p but then I thought, WTF if I´m gonna do this let´s make it well.

Another quick update:
I have started with some FIMming and HST. I think it could be a little bit early but then I said WTF, lets see whats happen. I plan to maintain the veg stage for at least 2 o 3 more weeks then switch to flowering. From my research the data say that 40-45 days are ok for growing (now I am on day 27) but I feel that my plants are still to little. What do you say guys for a Northern Light?

Btw til today I changed my res :S and modified the nuts formula for veg stage. I know res change is important and I will try to do it more often, at least once every 15 days. And I almost forget, I have rotated all my plants so each can have the opportunity to have the same amount of light, aeration and bubbling.

Here are some pics.
IMG_52192.JPG
IMG_52181.JPG
IMG_5215.JPG
IMG_52173.JPG
IMG_5214.JPG
IMG_52131.JPG

Nice setup! I have the same but its 400w. The air cooled hood with the glass helps alot. Just a couple precautions you may already be aware of but I just thought I would throw them out there. Dont "dim" the ballast with the light on, dont turn the light off then right back on it needs a few minutes in between, and of course dont touch the bulb with your bare hands. Everything is looking good! I think you will be very happy with the results you get from the hps. Are you going to switch up the lighting when you flip to 12/12?

assuming your tent will give you 6 feet of height when you get your new system and get it set up, i would install the metal halide bulb and keep them in vegetative growth until they are 1 foot tall. at that point i would switch your high pressure sodium light bulb into your cool tube and switch them to 12/12 flowering. if you find your plants are getting too tall in your grow or are getting heat stress i would supper crop them for this grow. that should have most plants at a total height of 4'5" and produce a good yield for you. when you install a new high intensity discharge light you want to burn it in by letting it burn for 24 hours without being turned off. always wear disposable gloves when touching a high intensity light bulb. if you should happen to touch the light bulb with bear skin clean the bulb off with rubbing alcohol. always let a high intensity light bulb cool for 15 minutes to fully cool down when a light goes off for any reason before re firing the light bulb.

https://www.youtube.com search suppercroping

Nice setup! I have the same but its 400w. The air cooled hood with the glass helps alot. Just a couple precautions you may already be aware of but I just thought I would throw them out there. Dont "dim" the ballast with the light on, dont turn the light off then right back on it needs a few minutes in between, and of course dont touch the bulb with your bare hands. Everything is looking good! I think you will be very happy with the results you get from the hps. Are you going to switch up the lighting when you flip to 12/12?

Thanks rdooski3 for the precautions, I will be aware of that. :thumb:

Yes I will be switching the lights when flip to 12/12. Thats the plan.

assuming your tent will give you 6 feet of height when you get your new system and get it set up, i would install the metal halide bulb and keep them in vegetative growth until they are 1 foot tall. at that point i would switch your high pressure sodium light bulb into your cool tube and switch them to 12/12 flowering. if you find your plants are getting too tall in your grow or are getting heat stress i would supper crop them for this grow. that should have most plants at a total height of 4'5" and produce a good yield for you. when you install a new high intensity discharge light you want to burn it in by letting it burn for 24 hours without being turned off. always wear disposable gloves when touching a high intensity light bulb. if you should happen to touch the light bulb with bear skin clean the bulb off with rubbing alcohol. always let a high intensity light bulb cool for 15 minutes to fully cool down when a light goes off for any reason before re firing the light bulb.

https://www.youtube.com search suppercroping

Thanks KingJohnC so you said it will be better to as soon as I have the new system I set it up and used the MH bulb. I was thinking of that option to improve the vegetative growth but still dont know. Although I will be taking into consideration to get bigger plants :D Thanks!

You know, actually I am planning to do supercropping+. Have you ever watched some videos of the Hygro Hybrid? The guy is a great resource! This is a great video about supercropping

I will take your advices about the HID lamp and have the necessary precautions.

Thanks guys for you kind advises and for sharing your knowedge with me.

Here is a quick update...
I received the lights and fans last Tuesday! but until Friday I was able to install the stuff. As KingJohnC suggested I installed the MH. Thanks bro!

Today I made my res and nuts change :morenutes: and prepare the ladies for 2 more weeks before switch to flower. In fact it is supposed that this next week (40 days) would be the last of the growing cycle but I feel that my plants are still too small. So i decided to give them 2 weeks instead of 1. What do you think about the height?

The lights are great, the amount of light that gives is very good (duh, that´s why these kind of light is the best for growing.) :tokin:
In the next weeks i will be installing the scrog. Let´s see how it goes...

Here are some pics (as always) :rollit:
IMG_52871.JPG
IMG_52884.JPG
IMG_52861.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG
IMG_52841.JPG

Btw, I´ve started seeing some kind of burn and discoloration. could it be the nuts? or a plage? I have seen some bugs (that are dead right now)
IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_52601.JPG

Hey guys how are you doing? Last few weeks were busy for me and I was a little bit lazy also :D

But here comes nice update :D

Growing Phase:
I´ve been applying different growing/increased yield techniques on my plants. I have done some defoliating, topping, LST and super-cropping.
I´ve changed my nuts and do a res cleaning. I have seen some seaweed growing in the plastic pipe that I use to measure water level. I think its due to 2 things: a) the plastic pipe is transparent and b) I shut down every night the air pumps.
I´ve detected that one of my plants (the one that was always like drowsy and a little bit thin) has different genetics, a little bit more sativa than indica (I have 4 NL.) I think that this plant is a male or has develop the sativa genetics (NL is a hybrid).

Flowering Phase:
Ok, that was during growing phase. Since Sunday I have changed the photoperiod to 12/12 and also changed the bulb. Now I´m using the HPS. Yesterday I did some super-cropping to keep my plants shorter... let´s see what´s gonna happen in the next weeks.
The flower phase will last for 8-9 weeks.
Btw, I have created a scrog net but I will be installing it when I detect which plant are female or male.

And... here are some photos :D

Before and after defoliating
IMG_53022.JPG
IMG_53261.JPG

A few days later after defoliating
IMG_53271.JPG
IMG_5563.JPG
IMG_55661.JPG
IMG_55651.JPG
IMG_55641.JPG

During res and nut change
IMG_55811.JPG
IMG_55851.JPG
IMG_5586.JPG
IMG_55871.JPG

This is the plant that I believe is gonna be a male... but maybe I´m wrong. What do you believe?
IMG_55911.JPG
IMG_55901.JPG
IMG_55891.JPG
IMG_55881.JPG

I will try to upload more photos to keep you guys updated.

Your plants look amazing! Love the setup. Have a couple questions. I see those balls under your plants used a lot, I still don't know what they are, could you inform me of the name and purpose ?

Also, why exactly do you defoliate ? My guess would be to allow for more light penetration. I'm really curious about this.

those balls are called hydroton.

taken from the General Hydroponics website

These marble sized balls of clay are unique type of soilless media. They are included with GH systems because they have a good balance between air and moisture, they are ecologically responsible, and easy to use. Clay, an organic and sustainable material, is shaped into balls, and then fired in an oven at about 1200 degrees. They then puff up like popcorn into air filled pebbles, each piece completely inert. Its the perfect media choice for ebb and flow and drain to waste. Water flows between the pebbles quickly, supplying the roots with nutrients, yet allowing the roots to stay oxygenated. Roots and plants develop healthy and vibrant.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS: Hydroton

Your plants look amazing! Love the setup. Have a couple questions. I see those balls under your plants used a lot, I still don't know what they are, could you inform me of the name and purpose ?

Thanks man! :D :Namaste: Thanks for dropping by!

As KingJohnC said those balls are hydroton, very useful ingredient when you are using a hydroponic system. I bought 2 bags of these for my system, although still have a lot of hydroton. :D

31an7suAbxL.jpg

Also, why exactly do you defoliate ? My guess would be to allow for more light penetration. I'm really curious about this.

You are right my friend! I´m quoting what I have read from 2 very good sources:
a. "Defoliation encourages branching in vegging plants in the same way as nipping the leader. The benefit of this technique is that the leader is retained to continue to create branches. It also shortens nodal length creating a more compact specimen. (this was described by a user called K33ftr) and,
b."Leaf removal stimulates lower and mid bud growth by exposing those normally shaded out areas to premium light. (...) You basically want to prevent any 'shade' from happening."

Due to these 2 reasons is why I strip my girls :D Hope this information helps you.

Here are some pics of the first week after changing lights to a 12/12 schedule, still haven´t show if they are females or males. Today I saw little protuberances I think it could be a male but it´s to early to have a conclusion. I just hope at least one could be a female. I will keep you update.

IMG_5686.JPG
IMG_56891.JPG
IMG_56901.JPG
IMG_56922.JPG
IMG_56932.JPG

Oh and btw, I have start growing some basil, chili-peppers and some tomatoes. :morenutes:
IMG_56951.JPG

Back
Top Bottom