First White Widow- Hydro Ofcourse

skatterbrayne

Got two Nirvana white widows goin' in Hydro, DWC in 5 gallon buckets. 14 days old from sprouting today. They are actually recovering from a little nute burn. I know I was smokin':bong: , but I dont know what I was thinkin' :hmmmm: cause I Mixed up some Fox Farm Grow Big at 1/4 strength and foliar fed them, then I went downstairs and checked my notes and remembered they were only 10 days old. I must've been thinkin' they were 3 wks cause some LR's I pulled last week were at the 3 wk mark.

Any way, I noticed the burn that night, immediate spray-rinsed the leaves with plain water to clear it up.

They're doin' better. I've got em under 2 4ft 32watt cool white flouro shop lights, and will flower under 400 watt, hps/w hortilux. I will try to flower as late as I can since I've read that white widow likes to veg longer, but will probably not let the plant veg above 14inch before goin' 12/12.

4_Bucket_Hydro_Under_Flouro1.JPG

2_Bucket1.JPG

The larger one is recovering more rapidly from the burn.

Day_131.JPG

WWLg1.JPG

This is the smaller one:

WWsm1.JPG

All of these pics are on day 13:

Burn_Comeback1.JPG

Light - 17.5/6.5

Water pH fluctuates between 5.6 and 6.3 and I don't add Up or Down unless it roams outside of that. Now that I've taken the hps out of the room, the average temp is right around 77 degrees without having to turn on the AC. This is one of my main reasons for vegging under the flouros.

I'm only growing 2 because 2 LR are in there as well, and I've got two buckets open for either some HOG or Chronic clones from my buddy, or 2 Purple #1 which should be arriving shortly. Either way, the last 2 buckets should be occupied by the end of next week.:headbanger: lol

Peace and...

looking good man, and yes, white widow should stay in the veg longer but not too much. What have you got for ventilation in there?

old_smokey9483 said:
looking good man, and yes, white widow should stay in the veg longer but not too much. What have you got for ventilation in there?

Honestly Bro, I just keep the door open and just keep a fan blowing in air from the adjoining room which has a window less than 3 feet from the entrance to the grow room. This blows on to the plants. Late into the flowering, when the hps is raised up, I also have an additional fan affixed in the upper right of the growroom, that stays on high and blows directly at the space between the light and the canopy. The adjoining room gets so dark at night, that I can also leave the door open in the night cycle.

Here's the look from the outside:

The_Amazon1.JPG

The_Amazon1001.JPG

When the hps is all the way up (late flower), this fan helps to dissipate the heat.

Fan_Shot1.JPG

What do you recommend on the veg? I dont think I can do 8 weeks. I wanted to go 6wks if I could keep it around 12in without tying or topping. Cloning on week 4. I'd like to go less if possible, like 4 wks, but then I'd be flowering kinda close to cloning. What would you suggest?

And thanks for the response,

Peace

Medical said:
Hi,
Are you bubling the roots in nutes solution?:hmmmm:

Yes. I burned them on Day 10 thinking they were 3 wks like some LR that turned out male. But flushed immediately, they recovered before any real damage. 5 days later on Day 15 I added 1tsp to each bucket of Fox Farms Grow big (.2 tsp/gal). Today on day 20 I flushed with pH 6 water and added 1.25 tsp of Grow big to each bucket (.25/gal).

Here's how they look after 5 days of Grow Big:

Side_by_Side_overhead-Day_201.JPG

Both are about 4.5 inch tall...
The_Widows_at_Day_201.JPG

I'm really getting a chance to see two different phenotypes, one more sativa, the other more I

Day_20_Phenotype_Comparison1.JPG

S-Type
Day_20_S-type_4_5_inches1.JPG

I-Type
Day_20_I-type1.JPG

Both are very healthy at the moment... without any discoloration except for the Sat dom's purple leaf stems. The main stalk is green, and some leaf stems are purple, but are otherwise thick and healthy and its been that way from jump. No cold stress, it stays from 77 to 80 now. And I would'nt think it'd be phosphorous def this early, especially since I'm Nuting the plants early. So I'm not sure why the unless its just a trait. Any ideas? I'll probably take clones after Week 4 completes.

I picked up Fox Farm's Open Sesame and Beastie Bloomz this weekend and will have Cha Ching by late flowering to round out my nute/supplement regimen with GrowBig and Tiger Bloom. Finally got a tds tester and I am also finished purchasing grow supplies for a while.

White_Widow_I-Type_Overhead1.JPG

Peace, Peace.:allgood:

I'm also using Foxfarm in my attempt to hydro grow. I have setup a kick ass system but still run into problems. Are you filling the buckets up to the basket bottoms? I've tried drip, net baskets, etc. I'm to the point of eather giving your system a try ( I've researched this type on the net ) or going back to soil. I use ph tds meters also. I started another batch and have one growing. I keepped it on water/thrive for a week, then added more water and very lite nutes. The tds/ppm came out to 400-500 range. The ph of the water goes up over a day. I tried to bump up the nutes to 945ppm after a week and the leaves started to turn yellow (plants almost 2" high). Flushed and have it on water for the next couple days. I'm using 3' flouros w/cool white. Had to chop the 4' down to fit. I'm wondering if using more tiger bloom would be better than more Growbig. I figured the extra nitrogen cased the buring.

Medical said:
I'm also using Foxfarm in my attempt to hydro grow. I have setup a kick ass system but still run into problems. Are you filling the buckets up to the basket bottoms? I've tried drip, net baskets, etc. I'm to the point of eather giving your system a try ( I've researched this type on the net ) or going back to soil. I use ph tds meters also. I started another batch and have one growing. I keepped it on water/thrive for a week, then added more water and very lite nutes. The tds/ppm came out to 400-500 range. The ph of the water goes up over a day. I tried to bump up the nutes to 945ppm after a week and the leaves started to turn yellow (plants almost 2" high). Flushed and have it on water for the next couple days. I'm using 3' flouros w/cool white. Had to chop the 4' down to fit. I'm wondering if using more tiger bloom would be better than more Growbig. I figured the extra nitrogen cased the buring.

Peace,
Yeah, the buckets are filled with pH 6 water up to the bottom layer of hydroton in the net pots. Thats about where the rockwool starts. Sometimes a little higher. It eventually evaporates and I have to top it off with a gallon of water anyway. What week was it when you started nutes? I'm new, no pro, but I'm not afraid to carefully push my plants this time around. Yeah I've read that nitrogen is the common cause of many burns..but even so, I dont think you'll want to use that high phosphorous Tiger Bloom until you're flowering. I'm assuming from the cool white flouros and Grow Big that you're in Veg still? Are you using ebb and flow? A buddy of mine is dope at ebb and flow, but I haven't tried it. I'm new to this setup as well, but I dig this setup more than my last. The convenience of lifting a lid to test stuff, and then just replacing a bucket of water to flush is lovely. Becomes immediately mobile, in the event that you have to move or remove one plant.
:peace:
:laughtwo: I feel like a salesman.

:tommy:

With Week 4 completing, I took 6 clones, 3 off of each plant last night. Hopefully they both show female, and I'll keep as many clones as survive, with one as a mother.

I couldn't figure out what the hell was doin this to a few of the mature leaves of the plant.. pH good. 517ppm's. The roots looked brown or covered in brown stuff. Didnt look like normal algea either, seemed more like hydroton dust, as my buddy suggested. Except the the rest of the water was clear and I rinsed my hydroton prior to growing.
The only thing I can think of is a magnesium def. So I flushed and washed the roots feeling for mushiness (rot) like a friend suggested.

Mag_Def1.JPG

The roots were still strong and somewhat coarse...And they rinsed right off.
I switched to newly cleaned pH 6 filled 5 gallon buckets, and cleaned the air tubing and airstones.
Also added 2.5 tsp of Epsom salt to each bucket

Day_30_Side_by_Side1.JPG

I've also been trying my hand at LST by slowly bending down the fan leaves of each plant since about day 14.
S-Dom-8 inches in the pic taken yesterday. I just measured again before posting and this plant is now 9 inches tall!!!!:thedoubletake:. I will flower within the next two weeks, and as early as wednesday.

Day_30_S-Dom1.JPG

Day_30_S-Dom_Overhead1.JPG

I-Dom- 7 inches in the pic. 7.5inch at press time.

Day_30_I-Dom1.JPG

Day_30_I-Dom_overhead1.JPG

Day_30_Side_by_Side_Overhead1.JPG

stikeegrnlf said:
yeah bro, sweet. Nice setup. How close do you keep the light on them. That one pic looks to be right on them, is it a fluorescent tube light?

Yeah its a 4 ft flourescent shop light with cool white bulbs. Very cheap. I keep em no more than 1 cm away if I can help it, and I dont trip if I find them touching the plants. The top shoot grows in between the bulbs in accelerated growth. The bulbs never get hot. I dont want any stretching if I can help it.

:allgood:

Peace and thanks.
Just a quick update and Review. Threw em into flowering a couple of days back. It was the end of week 5. I-Dom was about 8 inches and the S-dom was 10inches. Remember, I cloned at week 4, 3 of each, and am flowering the parents hoping for femmes.......
Kinda hard to see, these are shot with the night vision green light on, lol.

Green_Light_Special1.JPG

The smallest one in front is a Lowryder female from another thread

Flowering_Time_21.JPG

Yeah and they look even better now! Really bushy, stout, thick FULL! You'll BUG OUT over the pics, later.... Except for one thing.....

after a little over a week into flowering, I'm 99.8% sure they're both male.

I'm gonna give em a few more days to be positive, and I hope I'm wrong. But its not lookin' good. Been havin' trouble with the cam lately. I'll post em soon.

On a good note, I'm really diggin how the plants look, and when I rubbed the stalk and cutting zones the smell is nice and pungent, so I think I'm gonna do somethin' to preserve, maybe cut and flower out a couple of shoots, and freeze the pollen. I'm gonna reread over the breeding forum today. Any suggestions from experience?

Oh well,
this clears room for a 1 chronic clone (fem) and 3 Purple #1's that sprouted a week or so ago. 1 fem (1mth today) Lowryder is already flowering in that
room, it'll now have 18 hrs again, but I think I'm gonna go with the hps and the 4ft cool whites for 12 hrs and just the floros the last 6hrs of each 18hr period.

That thread will begin shortly.....

Until then,

Smoke on

:smoker:

They are definitely male. Oh well

MUSH ON!!!!

New grow. Tune into the Lowryder grow which just started flowering and has about a month to go and/or the new grow: 3 purple #1 from Dutch Passion and 1 Chronic (Serious) clone from a good buddy.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us brother!...

It's too bad they turned out to be male..

I'm moving this to completed journals now...

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?...

If so, please start one here Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine

Hope all is well in your world...

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom