G.C. Tangerine Dream Auto - DWC

Okay fellow seed horders. I'm sorry I haven't stopped by in a week. Me and yhe misses been looking at houses to move, been trying to work some extra hours, things havent changed for the better in the dwc. I'm always down to do a meet and greet. It'll be a nice change of pace. So just a recap of the situation:

Last week I noticed I there was a case of root rot in both plants. I believe it was cause by high rez temps. The buckets are wrapped in foil tape to help with water temps,as well as using hydroguard and orca . I had stop using the frozen water bottles thinking that would be enough, it was not.

That night I gave each plant h2o2 bath of just distilled water with a little of hydrogen peroxide 3% while I clean the buckets and made a new solution of nutes at a lower ppm.

Two days later it was back. So I did it all over again, rinsed the roots and tried to pull off majority the brown slime as gently as I could. This time no base nutes just the orca and hydroguard. Woke up the next morning and the plants were like this..

I figured the roots got shocked in the process and needed some time. To recover. So I let them ride, but they haven't recovered.

Last night I performed another rez change no base nutes just orca hydroguard(a higher amount of both to help overcome the bad bacteria) with a tiny bit of calmag this time. They still look rough and there is still root rot in both plants. Thelma does however have a bunch of new tiny bright white roots shooting out.

I have already popped two other beans, as a replacement for these two girls if they don't recover soon. I'm not trying spend excess money (water, use of nutes) to try and keep these girls just for a extremely diminshed yield.

Well I haven't really had to need to top off cause they haven't really drank much at all this grow. But my starting temp after I let it chill after a fresh nute change is like 60 sometimes lower but will climb high quickly.

I'll go to HD this weekend and pick up some more buckets and foil tape. I dont have much vertical space unfortunately
Yah that's a bummer maybe that's how my Rez temps down is switching bucket sizes from a 3 to a 5 then the 7. I've played with the idea of a chiller at low cost using a water fountain or a water cooler internal parts off Craig's list it b like a recirculating water dispenser

Yah that's a bummer maybe that's how my Rez temps down is switching bucket sizes from a 3 to a 5 then the 7. I've played with the idea of a chiller at low cost using a water fountain or a water cooler internal parts off Craig's list it b like a recirculating water dispenser
I've seen people doing things like that. I thought about a ice chest or mini fridge turned chiller.

Only prob with a ice chest or fridge is ther made to chill and hold so if your Rez keeps pumping warm through it and constantly recirculating it will never get to hang out in there long enough to chill

How do you run your hempy? Coco and perlite?

Coco and perlite at about 50/50. I throw some Osmocote+ into the mix, and then water with organic liquid nutes and cal-mag. So far it’s been working pretty good. If I could just figure out the mid grow die-off. I have yet to get a mature plant as healthy looking as some I see here. But they cross the finish line just fine.

I think once I fine tune that bump from veg to flower, my yield will increase.

Ouch. That's some yucky gunk. Haven't been able to kill it with peroxide?

Only prob with a ice chest or fridge is ther made to chill and hold so if your Rez keeps pumping warm through it and constantly recirculating it will never get to hang out in there long enough to chill

The key here is flow rate. You need an approprately sized worm coil inside the box to keep it in there long enough. The other option is using the cold water in a water/water heat exchanger to cool your nutrient solution but it adds a separate water system and corresponding pump so obviously adds cost and failure points. I've seen the thought bandied about on here enough I can see I need to build one to show folks how it's done.

Ouch. That's some yucky gunk. Haven't been able to kill it with peroxide?

The key here is flow rate. You need an approprately sized worm coil inside the box to keep it in there long enough. The other option is using the cold water in a water/water heat exchanger to cool your nutrient solution but it adds a separate water system and corresponding pump so obviously adds cost and failure points. I've seen the thought bandied about on here enough I can see I need to build one to show folks how it's done.
No I haven't been able to. It goes away for a night then comes right back.

Roger dodger. I read back through to your initial post.
No pun intended but the root cause of the problem hasn't been corrected. One thing that can help with the poor root environment besides obviously getting the temps in check, would be more oxygenation bad bacteria don't like oxygen. While you can't cram any more air into water with an air pump you can agitate the roots with the bubbles and expose the bad bacteria to unfavorable conditions resulting in their demise. Hydroguard eats organic matter but it won't necessarily innoculate your roots. Mychos will to a degree prevent an encroaching infection by reducing available root surface to latch onto. But if they aren't living on the roots the bad bacteria can still get there. The orca does have a handful of different cultures in it but they really need healthy roots to start getting established. I know your tight on space, so an external rez seems out of the question. You need to get some heat out of the tent. Either by reducing the heat source, or increasing/improving ventilation. If your floor is cool (65°f or less) try insulating your buckets better to help keep temps down. Wrap a towel or blanket around them. If not you could grab a couple more buckets and put your ice in those then nest your dwc buckets in there. You'll get a gradual temp swing but it should keep you in check on a daily basis.

Roger dodger. I read back through to your initial post.
No pun intended but the root cause of the problem hasn't been corrected. One thing that can help with the poor root environment besides obviously getting the temps in check, would be more oxygenation bad bacteria don't like oxygen. While you can't cram any more air into water with an air pump you can agitate the roots with the bubbles and expose the bad bacteria to unfavorable conditions resulting in their demise. Hydroguard eats organic matter but it won't necessarily innoculate your roots. Mychos will to a degree prevent an encroaching infection by reducing available root surface to latch onto. But if they aren't living on the roots the bad bacteria can still get there. The orca does have a handful of different cultures in it but they really need healthy roots to start getting established. I know your tight on space, so an external rez seems out of the question. You need to get some heat out of the tent. Either by reducing the heat source, or increasing/improving ventilation. If your floor is cool (65°f or less) try insulating your buckets better to help keep temps down. Wrap a towel or blanket around them. If not you could grab a couple more buckets and put your ice in those then nest your dwc buckets in there. You'll get a gradual temp swing but it should keep you in check on a daily basis.
Thanks for the great info. I've seen people wrap their buckets with towels and wondered if that really helped. I've been looking for inline exhaust fan on Amazon, not sure what I'm looking at as to terms of what I need.

Back
Top Bottom