Gator Uncaged

If I had any spiders, I would have fewer gnats. Mr Smith helps with that, over on the X r8 channel. Mosquito dunks? Crop is very late date, must wait to exterminate. Pesky things will soon suffer their fate.

Tray of cuts & sprouts looks OK @14 days. I want to run these new strains with vertical HPS, cutting newbies along the way. The 8 new PEs will be more ready, so I don't yet know what I will do. Cut some more, I suppose.
000_1938.JPG

I hate those damned gnats, too. SNS helped with them on a houseplant earlier in the year, but love the dunk idea of Mr Smiths, too. (Wife brought a fruiting plant in from outside without realizing the shit she'd end up making me go through to eradicate the problems that came with it). It's gone now - no room for bug hotels. RIP Limequat. ;)

I had gnats in my herb garden last year and tried all sorts of things to get rid of them. I finally won that battle by spraying them with alcohol, one by one. The gnat kingdom and I are not on friendly terms now.

The little ones are looking happy and healthy Gator.

I had gnats in my herb garden last year and tried all sorts of things to get rid of them. I finally won that battle by spraying them with alcohol, one by one. The gnat kingdom and I are not on friendly terms now.

The little ones are looking happy and healthy Gator.
That's a new one, Cowgirl. Usually, pests get worse when you give them alcohol :hmmmm:
I'm kidding. Congratulations for finding a way.

I photo'd the seedlings from above, to hide the too long gangly stems.
The flourescent light that pleases cuttings and donor plants was inadequate.

Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
Before you make commitments, research thoroughly.

I hate those damned gnats, too. SNS helped with them on a houseplant earlier in the year, but love the dunk idea of Mr Smiths, too. (Wife brought a fruiting plant in from outside without realizing the shit she'd end up making me go through to eradicate the problems that came with it). It's gone now - no room for bug hotels. RIP Limequat. ;)

Had to Wiki Limequat, which seems a treat if one can keep it in a mini greenhouse.
I regularly risk & accomplish bug transport home from the golf course, egad.
Ticks included, but they at least want only blood. My cat has Advantage.

Had to Wiki Limequat, which seems a treat if one can keep it in a mini greenhouse.
I regularly risk & accomplish bug transport home from the golf course, egad.
Ticks included, but they at least want only blood. My cat has Advantage.

I should have more propa-ly stated, RIP "Dwarf" Limequat. Just didn't have the same ring to it... ;) Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see...?

I was going to play around with it before finding out how bug ridden it was. I knew nothing of dwarf citrus trees like this until not long ago. I was fascinated to learn that they take high node count cuttings from taller trees, and graft them onto hardy root structures from separate unrelated plants to make them. Crazy cool!

What if we could do cannabis that way? Maybe I'll try grafting my OG Kush to an Oak tree root system. :morenutes:

I should have more propa-ly stated, RIP "Dwarf" Limequat. Just didn't have the same ring to it... ;) Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see...?

I was going to play around with it before finding out how bug ridden it was. I knew nothing of dwarf citrus trees like this until not long ago. I was fascinated to learn that they take high node count cuttings from taller trees, and graft them onto hardy root structures from separate unrelated plants to make them. Crazy cool!

What if we could do cannabis that way? Maybe I'll try grafting my OG Kush to an Oak tree root system. :morenutes:

LOL! now THAT would be something to see. . . (Cannabis Sativoak)

All production citrus is propagated vegetatively. None breed true via pollen to the pistles. Citrus seeds are without much positive value, if any. Market fruits and vegetables have been losing variety, rapidly for decades. Farmers want profit, and care less about interesting tasty healthful produce.
Where I grew up in upstate NY, there were orchards of 50 varieties of apples, within 50 miles. How many varieties can you now find in your very best local grocery?
Cannabis bucks that trend, but how different are the many strains, really?

All production citrus is propagated vegetatively. None breed true via pollen to the pistles. Citrus seeds are without much positive value, if any. Market fruits and vegetables have been losing variety, rapidly for decades. Farmers want profit, and care less about interesting tasty healthful produce.
Where I grew up in upstate NY, there were orchards of 50 varieties of apples, within 50 miles. How many varieties can you now find in your very best local grocery?

I live literally 40 miles from "Apple Hill Orchards", a collection of apple growers of all kinds, shapes, and colors. I find no less than 12 to 15 different varieties throughout the year popping up at my local grocer, and they are constantly changing. That excludes, of course, the 2 Delicious varieties (not really aptly named) and Granny Smith, which seem to be constant. Pink Ladies, Honey Crisp, Winesap, etc. The list seems endless for me. But in a past life, there were 4 types, and that was it.

in the oasis that is "my" town there is much variety in meat & produce and a plethora of farmers, some world famous veggies, but sadly this is not the case for most americans, fed "empty" food meant to strip cash and do no more than fill colons with clogging & cancer, a food revolution is desperately needed i think every new home should be built with a solar powered grow room and a box full of heritage seeds, yes i have lofty dreams but dreams are our right to own, like our memories its one of the few things we ever truly can own and keep, i hold onto them with savage resolve!
ok i will step down from my soapbox now:Namaste:

I live literally 40 miles from "Apple Hill Orchards", a collection of apple growers of all kinds, shapes, and colors. I find no less than 12 to 15 different varieties throughout the year popping up at my local grocer, and they are constantly changing. That excludes, of course, the 2 Delicious varieties (not really aptly named) and Granny Smith, which seem to be constant. Pink Ladies, Honey Crisp, Winesap, etc. The list seems endless for me. But in a past life, there were 4 types, and that was it.

that sounds like a delicious place if your a apple fan i am i have planted 3 in my mothers yard (dont own my land) that way i'll always have access to them a granny smith ,honey crisp and local variety called "sugarsweet "

Well, I'm sure there can't be more than one cannabis strain with a "lemony, fuel" taste, right?

Seems I saw a seed package that said, "soaring upbeat high, that tapers to a strong couch-lock finish". I'm sure that's a unique trait as well and not to be experienced with more than one or two strains at most... ;)

Well, I'm sure there can't be more than one cannabis strain with a "lemony, fuel" taste, right?

Seems I saw a seed package that said, "soaring upbeat high, that tapers to a strong couch-lock finish". I'm sure that's a unique trait as well and not to be experienced with more than one or two strains at most... ;)

Doesn't sound like a trait, as much as it is sales hype. Effects vary per user.

i think many strains are very similar, but also quite a few that are very unique, like this purple#1 im flowering turning purple the first week of 12/12 and its crazy spice/pine smell like nothing i have ever seen growing or dried! so i guess i agree on both ideas/opinions:thumb:

I've an opinion on that purple: looks like what I've been asked to grow, and may :thumb:

In the meantime, PE is center stage with walls of bud facing the vert bulb
000_1950.JPG

Red glow still in the cooling bulb. No light but the flash
000_1948.JPG

Here's the flat side, with the HPS (obviously)
000_1941.JPG

and after lights out, by the flash
000_1947.JPG

Back on the vert side, younger babe is green all the way down. Big, not huge
000_1949.JPG

This shot does not flatter this beauty
000_1951.JPG

Random shot in the dark, I can hardly figure where :hmmmm:
000_1953.JPG

In a 'race' between cuttings and seed, seedlings lose by two weeks, my guess
000_1943.JPG

My heart's in those seedlings, but plenty heads think these PE are Quinn the Eskimo :)

Hey Gator man, garden looks nice, as usual.

i think many strains are very similar, but also quite a few that are very unique, like this purple#1 im flowering turning purple the first week of 12/12 and its crazy spice/pine smell like nothing i have ever seen growing or dried! so i guess i agree on both ideas/opinions:thumb:

I don't know... You could probably make a list of five or ten "historical landrace" strains and figure that ~80% of the "mutts" currently in circulation have at least one of them in it.

Are the days of crossing two interesting strains, perhaps one somewhat exotic and one your local naturalized "special something," together in order to come up with something special and worth a permanent place... Are those days fading? Will we wake up one day and find that crossing strains no longer gives a shot of hybrid vigor because we're just recrossing crosses? Will we decide to restock some of the old pure genetics to work with only to find that although companies still talk of using them to breed with, we can only find watered-down versions because the companies all say that their version of the "pure" has been... "enhanced" as their version of a profitable I mean quality strain? (Sometimes I worry that we are already almost there.)

Hey Gator man, garden looks nice, as usual.

I don't know... You could probably make a list of five or ten "historical landrace" strains and figure that ~80% of the "mutts" currently in circulation have at least one of them in it.

Are the days of crossing two interesting strains, perhaps one somewhat exotic and one your local naturalized "special something," together in order to come up with something special and worth a permanent place... Are those days fading? Will we wake up one day and find that crossing strains no longer gives a shot of hybrid vigor because we're just recrossing crosses? Will we decide to restock some of the old pure genetics to work with only to find that although companies still talk of using them to breed with, we can only find watered-down versions because the companies all say that their version of the "pure" has been... "enhanced" as their version of a profitable I mean quality strain? (Sometimes I worry that we are already almost there.)

May not yet be as bad as all that, TS. Wait until Monsanto gets their invasive designer genes into life's core.
Be very afraid.

Gregor Mendel - Wikipedia article is a good place to start for anybody lacking in basic knowledge of the science of genetics. You have it TS, but many do not. I don't, but I don't care to breed. Too much work, record keeping, massive culling. I'd rather spend time killing Zerg & Protoss with Terrans.

Stick cuttings, trans-pot up, trim & cure. That's the ticket. Let yada yada breeders sell me a seed, and Cory's concern to feed my weed.

i fear u're right TS. there's not many "pure" landrace strains left. every few years i grow a few of my old seeds from the 60's & 70's, just to preserve those strains for myself & keep fresh seeds. i don't know how many of those are pure landrace though. it sure is nice to try my favorite old meds, like my favorite "FACEMELTER"!

Yauza paw-paw, now I wanna be :rip: from FACEMELTER. Sounds awesome
I just love the names of strains

I believe that the cannabis genome is so huge, that not much is actually lost with selective breeding.
'Lost' trait-sets can be recovered & re-assembled for future desire. I think :hmmmm:

For 10,000+ years, farmers have always saved seeds for next season from their very best.
Mother Nature (the bitch) has her own agenda, but pot farmers like to get high.

that was my name for it, but it caught on, locally. after 3 hits it sneaks up on you. when u realize u're shitfaced, it feels like u're face is sliding down onto u're chest. it's quite allarming the 1st time. lol!

Back
Top Bottom