Ghetto Garden

MaddHacker

Ok so while in the planning stage of my indoor grow, I am going to start a small garden in my " backyard ". It will consist of mostly tomato plants as they are the closet relative of cannabis plants I can grow where I am at. I am going to look around at starters locally, which where I live now is quite plentiful. I am also going to start some pepper plants, both hot and bell, which will be the makings of some great salsa.

I also intend on this being a community garden, I do have a lot of passer by type traffic. I live near a local homeless shelter so some of the fruits will go to them as donation, some will go to whoever picks them on their way by, and some will go into canned salsas, sauces and the like. It seems that the true community idea has vanished these days, only a few anywhere near me. My intention is to let all who wish plant, pick, and overall help take care even if I don't get a piece of any of the fruit or veggies. My joy comes from each day of life, as well as the joy in other's lives.

Of course it is gonna be Ghetto, in that I live in one LOL, and I am using plastic totes, 5 gallon buckets, and other various vessels for growing with store bought soil and home made nute combos. Please feel free to join in with you own gardening tips, pics ( though I have forgotten if those are allowed ) as well as any and all yummy ideas to grow.

It is almost time to get my outdoor plants out so my start will be very soon. Please join in, lets make this a multi-location community garden. I also encourage all to look into starting, participating, or helping in one if you have the time. Chain store produce is lacking in both original flavor, high in price, and over bred. Hopefully around here I can get some " farmers " help with starters and tips...

Green days to all as always

Ok so while in the planning stage of my indoor grow, I am going to start a small garden in my " backyard ". It will consist of mostly tomato plants as they are the closet relative of cannabis plants I can grow where I am at. I am going to look around at starters locally, which where I live now is quite plentiful. I am also going to start some pepper plants, both hot and bell, which will be the makings of some great salsa.

I also intend on this being a community garden, I do have a lot of passer by type traffic. I live near a local homeless shelter so some of the fruits will go to them as donation, some will go to whoever picks them on their way by, and some will go into canned salsas, sauces and the like. It seems that the true community idea has vanished these days, only a few anywhere near me. My intention is to let all who wish plant, pick, and overall help take care even if I don't get a piece of any of the fruit or veggies. My joy comes from each day of life, as well as the joy in other's lives.

Of course it is gonna be Ghetto, in that I live in one LOL, and I am using plastic totes, 5 gallon buckets, and other various vessels for growing with store bought soil and home made nute combos. Please feel free to join in with you own gardening tips, pics ( though I have forgotten if those are allowed ) as well as any and all yummy ideas to grow.

It is almost time to get my outdoor plants out so my start will be very soon. Please join in, lets make this a multi-location community garden. I also encourage all to look into starting, participating, or helping in one if you have the time. Chain store produce is lacking in both original flavor, high in price, and over bred. Hopefully around here I can get some " farmers " help with starters and tips...

Green days to all as always
have been growing plants most of my life, always had a garden somewhere

have been involved in the community gardens for the last 10 years roughly

we have about 12 going right now, three bigger ones the rest are backyarders

I give lots of my extra vegetables plants and flowers to the community gardens

also volunteering my time to help weed and water

my tips would be to build some planter boxes & not try to grow in containers
store bought soil is nothing but peat moss , perilite , some lime & the more expensive ones have some fertilizers added
Learn to make compost

have been growing plants most of my life, always had a garden somewhere

have been involved in the community gardens for the last 10 years roughly

we have about 12 going right now, three bigger ones the rest are backyarders

I give lots of my extra vegetables plants and flowers to the community gardens

also volunteering my time to help weed and water

my tips would be to build some planter boxes & not try to grow in containers
store bought soil is nothing but peat moss , perilite , some lime & the more expensive ones have some fertilizers added
Learn to make compost
Thanks for your input. I am currently not in the position to make my own compost pile, but will and have been making some for my new canna plants. I also don't really have the room for planter boxes either though the thought is appealing. I have been growing for years and years as well, and like you have always had something in grow cycle. However my current living situation dictates containers only, big containers, but containers only. I just achieved my masters in botany so I will also be cooking up some good juice for the plants, so with my outdoor garden I intend to perma grow using a mixture of a lot of outdoor materials. Just really need something for the roots to grab onto. They will be trained and stressed as I would my canna plants, just not as aggressively... Thanks for the input...
Green days....

So as it turns out, One of my very next door neighbors just told me this morning that they had heard I was going to do a community style small garden grow.. When I replied that I was seriously considering it, they frowned and walked off.. I am not sure the reasoning, but I do know that a lot of foot traffic comes through our CITY alley. Most of them are homeless, but local. Known to me in passing. I will maybe BBQ Sunday, invite my neighbors, and have an adult conversation with all ideas and aspects expressed, heard, and respected.

If they have legitimate concerns perhaps a change of thought process is in order, however my suspicions are that because they are homeless my neighbors just don't want them around. Concerning on both sides. I am in the business of helping those who are less fortunate, so maybe my idea or way of thinking is skewed..

Ok so while looking around on the NET I came across this outdoor tent, and I think I am going to start with that. I need outdoor protection from weather, passing people, and a somewhat controllable environment. I am only doing a small to medium sized outdoor veggie garden so this should fit the bill. I am not sure if I can post Non 420 pics on here, can't remember. If I can, I will also post some pics of my starting area. This will also explain the need for container growing, and the lack of space for raised beds.

TrueShelter GH68 6' x 8' House

1664479717331.png

Ok so after some off time and otherwise uncontrollable things I am back with a new grow state location and home. This time I have my own land in a rec. state. Though I am just starting here I have always thought that the ability to grow one's own food is just as important as cannabis growth. Some would say that in today's environment with food costs, as well as other costs skyrocketing in an uncertain economy it is more important.

That being said a few years ago some of the peeps on here got a community Garden grow together that was very helpful in that regard. I would like to continue with the tradition with general talk and encouraging words between those like-minded people, as well as any who would like to join in anyway. So, I am in the process of rebuilding my state of the art grow house that I disassembled at my previous grow/state. Unfortunately, it may be some time as weather is getting worse by the day and I am getting older at a slightly quicker rate. LOL.

In that general thought process, it would be my pleasure to start conversing with anyone who has plans for spring including prep work, seedling processes, and all other materials that would be involved with just some folks spending their winter break planning, plotting, and etc. for VEGETABLE garden grows.

*** Please keep in mind that I prefer generous and thoughtful conversations and contributions as it pertains to not only growing but others' opinions or thoughts. This thread in particular is meant to be thought provoking and an overall growth opportunity for any and all who visit. So please be courteous and considerate when critiquing or responding to others as I think that is only going to be positive in results all around. ****

Back
Top Bottom