Got some questions about my first 2 plants

mitchzaq420

Hello quick introduction so you understand the situation living at home but dont want to grow in my house for when relatives come and will smell the odor. Plants will be for personal use but i have to make them outdoor plants my one friend grows every summer and is letting me put a plant in his set up and will help me out with that one but i would also like to set up and plant in a wooded area near by where sunlight can still reach... but this plant i wanted to make smaller only about a foot or foot and a half got questions about this specific plant..
Can a smaller plant like this grow outdoor?
How much would a smaller plant yield?
Would i be better off with indica or sativa strain?
How can i check if its a female plant in the early stage when it's only 1foot tall?
Whatre some good strains for cold temperatures?
Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

How cold is cold? If you check my journals in my signature you'll find a Siberian ThunderCat grow. That might be just the ticket!

For an outdoor grow that you want to keep short you'll want to stay with an indica dominant strain. Even then you'll have to top it and train it to keep it wide and low. Yield is impossible to say because so much depends on your growing conditions. As to the male/female question, if it's your only plant outdoors it won't matter.

I'd suggest spending some quality time here reading and searching the forums. You'll likely find others that have attempted an outdoor grow similar to what you're thinking of.

Good luck!

How cold is cold? If you check my journals in my signature you'll find a Siberian ThunderCat grow. That might be just the ticket!

For an outdoor grow that you want to keep short you'll want to stay with an indica dominant strain. Even then you'll have to top it and train it to keep it wide and low. Yield is impossible to say because so much depends on your growing conditions. As to the male/female question, if it's your only plant outdoors it won't matter.

I'd suggest spending some quality time here reading and searching the forums. You'll likely find others that have attempted an outdoor grow similar to what you're thinking of.

Good luck!
Thanks i was leaning towards a indica like northern lights or super skunk if i can get my hands on a seed for the super skunk and i was hoping to plant asap into the year was hoping for days of about 15-20° Celsius and itd be a minimum of 0 at night but wouldnt go into negatives

Also wondering if i should keep in a small pot out of the ground or put into the ground with a small pot or how i should go about that only wanting a smaller plant

That's cold! Are you growing in Siberia!? I'm thinking the Siberian ThunderCat strain may be your only hope! You'd be better off starting a plant at home and transplanting outside after the weather warms up and before it starts to smell. How do you plan to water this plant?

Welcome to the wonderful world of growing.

No matter how long you have been growing you will always be presented with things that need to be diagnosed or issues that call for attention. To further that, I can only tell you that my answers are based off of my personal experiences with some of your questions, especially when it comes to climate.

We are up here in Oregon, where it is cold and unpredictable which makes growing outside tough, on any scale. Huge variations in temperature will stress your plants and hinder they're ability to flourish. Humidity swings cause mold and mildew or bud rot. Pests and insects are also more prevalent outside. You could combat the the swing in temp and humidity by producing a greenhouse like environment, using inexpensive supplies that can be purchased at any Home Depot like store, providing the ladies with a little barrier from the world outside is effective and it gives you a platform to try to gain some control of the environment they are flowering in when Mother Nature isn't cooperating. Insects are just a part of the game indoor or out you will wage war on many different kinds of predators.
As far as your strain selection goes, definitely you want to stick with an Indica dominant strain due to its durability, and predisposition to colder temperature, it's a very forgiving strain and it will allow you to make some mistakes without having it be a complete waste of your time. It also is a tank when it comes to production. Choosing a good basic growing medium is also something I would recommend because most are going to come loaded with a lot of the "fine tuned" elements that the plants need to thrive, there are a lot to choose from and tend to be pretty inexpensive.

Your pot size depends on how long the plant is going to be alive, if you go full season, then I would recommend a larger pot up to 20 gal because your going to have a longer period of veg/flower. If you had the ability to pull shade or cover them, you could control the photo period and stretch two harvests out of 1 outdoor growing season. If you do that it would be a waste to have them in anything above 10gal and that's probably overkill.

Finally your yield is almost impossible to predict, you could have two 5 lb plants or you could get a couple zips per plant, I will say you get out of them what you put in, and environment stability is huge.I left a very successful career to become a farmer and I haven't looked back sense, it will only enhance your relationship with the plant and the good folks here that have dedicated so much to it.
Good luck and make sure to have fun with it, no matter what you get at the end the feeling of smoking something you grew is pretty rewarding in itself.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's cold! Are you growing in Siberia!? I'm thinking the Siberian ThunderCat strain may be your only hope! You'd be better off starting a plant at home and transplanting outside after the weather warms up and before it starts to smell. How do you plan to water this plant?
Canada!! there will be no snow on the ground or ice like in your grow journal tho

So you come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. :)

Your best bet is to start inside with a hardy and forgiving plant like the White Widow autoflower. It's a great beginner plant and grows like a weed. Once it has spent about a month inside you can transplant to your outdoor location, preferably near a source of water. Time your grow so when you move it outside the overnight temps are consistently above 10°C. A clandestine outdoor grow isn't going to be easy. It doesn't take much browsing through this forum to know that even given considerable care indoors we still have frustrating problems.

Good luck, Canuck! :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom