Grow Journal 2016 - First Timer Going Big Or Going Home!

haha are you or anyone else launching nukes anytime soon mr putin? At least give your 420 mates a head-up. I mean should we all be growing hundreds of plants as well to get us through this apocalypse you mention...there's no way i'll survive without my precious mj, none of us will damn it!!

lol .:rofl:

yeah its going to be a lot of work from the sounds of it. I was thinking of just putting a ton of water in the trays and have the plants absorb it. The pots i have, have like 12 holes on the bottom 4 inches. Is this a bad idea?

My theory on this whole thing is to have twice as many plants to off set the amount of light I'm using for the space.

Sounds like a DWC system. The plants grow on-top of a bucket filled with water & the roots dive in. You will need air-pumps like you have in fish tanks for CO2 otherwise they won't survive. When the water empties you just refill it. This would be a lot easier than hand watering them in soil. You should look into DWC (deep water culture), I grow in soil so I don't know that much about it but there's plenty of info here.

Nice!! Im going to do this. Looks cheap to create. What diameter pac? like 1/2 inch or something?

I d probably go with 1" for the extra strength, depending on how big you want this grid to be, you might have to go even bigger! Your gonna have a pile of weight and strain on it that's forsure. Don't use wire either to make the grid, I uses a soft hemp string meant for plant manipulation as not to cut in or poison the plant with dyes or chemicals.

Scarpy,
Well I had a post together last night that never made the upload.

I have had a 10X12 room with a 4X6 flower room in it for just over four years now running a perpetual grow. So, I can say that you need to start much slower.

You cannot just walk into a dispensary and grab 250 clones. Check out seed banks and do a lot of reading about what to expect from different strains. Maybe you could start with 50 clones, plants or seeds and cull down to 36 and run one 4X8 tray until you get things going for a while. Then you could add as many plants as you want to handle.

You do know that 9 lights, the fans and extras is going to draw 50+ amps at 240V.

The tall room will help keep the heat down at the canape. However, it sounds like you are placing the lights too high. There are good adjustable hangers now.

As you learn your thoughts will change some with what and how you want to do things. That is another reason to take your time.

Is this a one time grow or an long term project? Do you have some dependable help? Are going to raise the trays?

I have a lot of dollars in about one third the area you have. You appear to be fine with the cost. But, I do not think you do not understand how much time and work is involved.

The project would give you some serious bragging rights tough. [;>)}

Best,
canyon

You could also skip the screens. Screens are mainly for creating an even plant height. If you are growing with clones then you can expect the same-species clones to reach more or less the same heights.
You can grow hydro-
DWC- (deep water culture) has amazing growth rates but takes a bunch of set-up. Vulnerable to root rot issues, and any equipment failures or major mistakes can wipe out the whole grow at the same amazing rate.
DTW- (drain to waste). Using a porous medium like coco, rockwool, hydroton, or perlite and feeding/watering often- more forgiving but you'll need a complete auto watering setup.

Ph levels must be monitored constantly with hydro.

Or soil. - you'll need to invest time and money in getting a good soil mix together. Can be handwatered. Slower growth but easier after the initial setup and probably better product in the end. Ph isn't so much of an issue.

Or soilless- usually a peat moss based medium like Sunshine or Promix. These can be hand watered every 5 days or therabouts. Ph must be monitored as well but there is slightly more wiggle room.

The basics have to be followed. Watering and feeding properly, ventilation and lighting, temps, ph. You can't expect to change any of the basic needs of the plants so it's best to stick with the advice found in that 'how to grow' link. Most of us try to cut corners or do things differently at first till we get burned a few times. But farming has been done for many thousands of years, and the science of it is pretty much sorted out already.

I'm sitting here thinking I only need like $4300 to get my grow where I want it to be and it's up and running now on maybe $1500.

You seem to have a bit of extra cash to toss at this. I hope it works out for you.

If you want to save a huge pile of cash just grab a cut from a friend and grow it out while you build the room and collect all the ancillary crap you need to do the grow. By the time you have your room built and ready you should be able to take your 200+ clones. I think in your environment you are going to want just one strain.

Sounds like a DWC system. The plants grow on-top of a bucket filled with water & the roots dive in. You will need air-pumps like you have in fish tanks for CO2 otherwise they won't survive. When the water empties you just refill it. This would be a lot easier than hand watering them in soil. You should look into DWC (deep water culture), I grow in soil so I don't know that much about it but there's plenty of info here.

DWC sounds like its harder than I'm into eek. I will read more about it though. I can hand water them. I've been reading about netting and came to the conclusion that If I create netting with 2" squares, and fill every one of the squares with a top or whatever you call the top of the plant. I will have used my space to the fullest. Is this crazy to have a top of a plant or a upper level bud i guess going thru every 2 inches square?

Well I had a post together last night that never made the upload.

I have had a 10X12 room with a 4X6 flower room in it for just over four years now running a perpetual grow. So, I can say that you need to start much slower.

You cannot just walk into a dispensary and grab 250 clones. Check out seed banks and do a lot of reading about what to expect from different strains. Maybe you could start with 50 clones, plants or seeds and cull down to 36 and run one 4X8 tray until you get things going for a while. Then you could add as many plants as you want to handle.

You do know that 9 lights, the fans and extras is going to draw 50+ amps at 240V.

The tall room will help keep the heat down at the canape. However, it sounds like you are placing the lights too high. There are good adjustable hangers now.

As you learn your thoughts will change some with what and how you want to do things. That is another reason to take your time.

Is this a one time grow or an long term project? Do you have some dependable help? Are going to raise the trays?

I have a lot of dollars in about one third the area you have. You appear to be fine with the cost. But, I do not think you do not understand how much time and work is involved.

The project would give you some serious bragging rights tough. [;>)}

Best,
canyon

I have zero help just this forum and gold. I have had my class B for a long time and am very comfortable with the electrical end of things. I can go into a dispensary and grab 99 plants. I found a person with a card that is willing to go get 99 as well. )I wish she knew how to grow."
Im going to be in this room about 10k after looking everything over. maybe slightly more.
I plan on have this room for a few years. The house has 400 amp service and average bill here is 650 dollars a month without this adventure. I understand I'm going into to this extremely fast and have a huge learning curve. At the same time I have the time and extra money sitting around. I actually called local sheriff department prior to starting and they even came out and gave me the go ahead ha ha was one of the most awkward things I've ever done but they are happy and said thank you for following code with the electrical as well as having paperwork all together.
Im really taking this whole thing as a fun project and at the same time i get medicine as well as other people the medically use this product.

Back to the netting, i thought nets help hold up tops of plant in a scrod type set up? Seems like they would? I was going to veg for 2 weeks and run all branches horizontal as far as they will go then veg for another week to see if all the shoots along the branches find a 2" hole in the netting. I am seriously learning a lot from everything so far! I'm taking in everything. I will post more pics tonight Will have 6 of the 9 lights up. Starting to feel like I'm way low on the amount of light more and more each day just looking at room.

I feel like I'm making this whole adventure seem way to easy! We are going to find out for sure!:cheer:

2" is a little small and it can be difficult dragging limbs through when you have to relocate them. I use 3 or 4" mesh.

Only have to worry about it during veg right? aThey are pliable during veg i thought? Once they are flowering you add another level of screen to organize the tops right? Once you flip the plant the tops should be all the same height at the point? The differences in height would only be caused by how rapid the growth is.

Oh man this is going to fun lol

Actually its usually during the first few weeks of flowering that they stretch and grow the fastest. I only use one screen. I've seen people do that double screen thing sometimes, usually just one though. I put mine on at the start of flowering because I have two rooms- it's a hassle to drag a screened plant from the veg room into the flowering room. Usually though the screen is put on during veg and limbs are trained and spread throughout the screen as the plant grows. During the 'stretch' period of early flowering limbs are continually tied down to make an even canopy. Around the end of the stretch, once buds are underway and stretch is over, they are left to grow. Nothing much worthwhile grows under the screen. Above the screen ends up being about eight or ten inches vertically of bud and foliage.
Clones of the same strain 'should' grow to about the same height but there's always variation. The aim of scrogging is to create a flat and evenly spaced canopy of buds.

Nice thanks for the info on the scrog. I just came in from hanging 6 of the 9 lights and starting the netting for one tray to see how it looks. Posted 19 pics. Thanks again everyone for the advice. Still nothing on strains here. Still on the hunt!

Let us know what strains are available to you as clones, assuming the selection isn't endless. No doubt dozens of people in the forum have grown most every one of them.

Will do for sure harbor side in Oakland has a daily list, but you have to wait over night because they are gone after 15 min once doors open! I have no idea about strains anymore the names now are just ridiculous and who knows what your really getting lol

I haven't grown any of those myself. That doesn't mean much, my strain growing history isn't all that extensive and I'm more into sativas these days. I've seen almost all of them in journals. OG Kush and Thc Bomb are two that have caught my eye a few times. People always say very good things about them. Putting some of the names through the 420 search engine, or using google but adding the word (number?) 420 to the search term will find you lots of journals and reviews on the site. Or some of the other members that are on this thread may have some ideas about them.

I haven't grown any of those myself. That doesn't mean much, my strain growing history isn't all that extensive and I'm more into sativas these days. I've seen almost all of them in journals. OG Kush and Thc Bomb are two that have caught my eye a few times. People always say very good things about them. Putting some of the names through the 420 search engine, or using google but adding the word (number?) 420 to the search term will find you lots of journals and reviews on the site. Or some of the other members that are on this thread may have some ideas about them.

Yeah OG Kush and Sour D is all i know of and everyone wants. i hear the SD take a little bit longer so I'm going to stay away from that one. My favorite is seen crack, but i can't find it!!

Hey scarpy, just an idea. While you setup the grow room, start with a few good plants now & try producing seeds of your own...should only take a couple of months I think.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom