Heffay's Brainstorm Haze Experinmental DWC Journal - 2013

Flower Day 27:

-BHZ continues to grow aggressively, and space is a worsening problem... Wondering if it would be beneficial to take off lower branches, as they're receiving very little light. May be a good idea considering the haze's longer than usual flowering period... Thoughts?
-Still running FF week 6 nutrient schedule minus micros. (1370-1510)ppm PH between 5.5 and 6.0
-Buds are forming very loosely, and spread apart....
-Clones have sufficiently rooted and been potted in FF Ocean Forest soil.

BHZ 2
20140205_124457.jpg

BHZ 2
20140205_124510.jpg

BHZ 2 Roots
20140205_124620.jpg

BHZ Bud Sites
20140205_124800.jpg

BHZ Flowers
20140205_124820.jpg

Grow Space - BHZ on the right. Another large soil plant has been removed from the space so BHZ could be photographed.
20140205_124916.jpg

Should I remove some lower branches before the plant invests any more energy into these lower bud sites?
20140205_124935.jpg

Perhaps bottom 1/3 branches should be removed or heavily DE-foliated?
20140205_124943.jpg

BHZ 2 Clones (X4)
20140205_125304.jpg

Yes take the lower branches off. Let the plant use that energy to develop the top infrastucture

you can defoliate now. Usually I get to day 21-25 of flowering and defoliate if I have not trimmed them prior to going into flower. You can remove the bottom growth on your plants. You can also defoliate at day 45 if needed.

Yes take the lower branches off. Let the plant use that energy to develop the top infrastucture

Thats what I suspected. Lower branches have come off. May do some more in the next few days before I post more photos.

Also starting to see what I believe to be a PH issue from the fan leaves. Makes sense, I haven't been able to give her the attention she needs, and the bloom ferts seem to be pushing things to the low side.

-PH between 5.8 and 6.10 seem to be the sweet spot.

Flowering Day 40: :helpsmilie:

-BHZ plant now stands just over 5.5ft tall not including bucket height. Growth seems to have leveled off a bit. Lamp height is now maxed at the ceiling which puts them 12-14 inches above the plant.
-Up-sized from 3.5 gal to 5 gal bucket as the plant was consuming almost 2 gallons of water per day, and I couldn't top off in time reliably. I wanted to keep it in the smaller bucket as long as possible thinking it might help restrict the growth a bit. This has also significantly helped the PH stability.
-Supposed to be on week 8 of FoxFarm feeding schedule (1600-1700ppm), but it seems to be hotter than the plant would like, so I've been keeping it around 1500. I top off the reservoir in the morning and PH the solution to 6.0-6.3. When I return to check in the evening or next morning PH is in the in the 5.4-5.5 range and the concentration is about 1700ppm leading me to believe its either still too hot, or the PH is dropping and locking nutrients out. I'm going to try maintaining an 1100-1200 to see if things improve.
-Bud development seems VERY loose and sparse. I've been tempted to attempt a foliar supplement as KingJohn seems to have had excellent success, but I don't want to add anything until I get the feeding figured out...

BHZ (on the right)
20140218_084839.jpg

BHZ Top View
20140218_084752.jpg

BHZ Stalk. (The stupid thing is too big and awkward to lift out of the bucket to photograph the roots without touching the lamp bulb)
20140218_084913.jpg

BHZ Budz (lack-there-of)
20140218_084942.jpg
20140218_084949.jpg
20140218_084957.jpg

well it still got some time and its a huge indoor plant
Happy Tokerday Heffay :thumb:

well it still got some time and its a huge indoor plant
Happy Tokerday Heffay :thumb:

Well, true it does have some time.. I'm still a bit worried about the rate at which I'm losing fan leaves. I can tell you for sure I'll never make the same size mistake again. The thing is a nightmare to look after.

pretty good man. Good job

Much appreciated. I hope it it finishes decent.

-Working on getting some mothers going using this Bonsai method. Never tried to keep a mother before, but this helps A LOT.

What nutrients are you using and how many millilitres per gallon?

Current solution consists of:
Foxfarm
20Ml per gallon big bloom
15Ml per gallon tiger bloom
5 Ml per gallon grow big
2.5 Ml per gallon microbe brew
5 Ml per gallon Botanicare CalMag

Been having much better luck maintaining pH in the bigger bucket, and plant seems much happier at 1200-1250 ppm mixture than the 1720 + that is suggested by the feeding schedule.

yea I hear ff stuff runs hot
Happy Freeweed day and a Chronic Weekend to you Heffay :thumb:

Current solution consists of:
Foxfarm
20Ml per gallon big bloom
15Ml per gallon tiger bloom
5 Ml per gallon grow big
2.5 Ml per gallon microbe brew
5 Ml per gallon Botanicare CalMag

Been having much better luck maintaining pH in the bigger bucket, and plant seems much happier at 1200-1250 ppm mixture than the 1720 + that is suggested by the feeding schedule.

If you look at the hydroponic nutrient feeding schedule in week 9 they only recommend using 5 millilitres per gallon of Tiger Bloom and 20 millilitres per gallon of Big Bloom. If your pH rises and your ppm rises your plant is using more water then nutrients and you should reduce the nutrient strength.

If you look at the hydroponic nutrient feeding schedule in week 9 they only recommend using 5 millilitres per gallon of Tiger Bloom and 20 millilitres per gallon of Big Bloom. If your pH rises and your ppm rises your plant is using more water then nutrients and you should reduce the nutrient strength.

Ah! Thanks KJC, I should have clarified that point, thank you. The 1720 PPM that I mentioned is from week 9 (1470 + 50 for my tap water, and 200 for the 5ML CalMag) of the FF feeding schedule which I have since abandoned.

As you said the PPM was rising so sharply during the day so I started dropping down, and have found a happy medium at about 1175 PPM for now.

Because I felt as though I basically bailed on the FF feeding schedule all together AND I'm not using any of the micro line, ie ChaChing, Open sesame, Beastie bloomz I decided I would just run full bottle strength on the Tigerbloom to supplement.

As of now, things are going good in the larger bucket in the 1200 PPM neighborhood, but I'm hoping she'll begin to steadily consume more nutrients since things have leveled off. 1200 PPM seems pretty low by comparison.

Is this a false logic with the increased Tigerbloom serving as replacement for the micros?

I would use the FoxFarm nutrient feed chart as a guide but not as a set in stone rule. The FoxFarm nutrient feed chart uses a very high ppm and often causes problems for growers. Your plants individual nutrient uptake rates is what you should base your ppm around. 1200 ppm may be perfect for the uptake rate of your plants. Remember you are striving for a balance between your nutrient strength and rate of water and nutrient uptake for your plants. Ideally your ppm would slowly decrease as your pH slowly rises. I have looked at ChaChing, Open Sesame and Beastie Bloomz they are all very similar phosphate and potassium supplements with minor differences intended to be used at different times of a plants growth. I am currently using General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom and Snow Storm Ultra with good results as phosphate and potassium supplements in my grow. I believe that using a phosphate and potassium supplement in addition to the FoxFarm trio could improve your plants rate of development and possibly potency.

I would use the FoxFarm nutrient feed chart as a guide but not as a set in stone rule. The FoxFarm nutrient feed chart uses a very high ppm and often causes problems for growers. Your plants individual nutrient uptake rates is what you should base your ppm around. 1200 ppm may be perfect for the uptake rate of your plants. Remember you are striving for a balance between your nutrient strength and rate of water and nutrient uptake for your plants. Ideally your ppm would slowly decrease as your pH slowly rises. I have looked at ChaChing, Open Sesame and Beastie Bloomz they are all very similar phosphate and potassium supplements with minor differences intended to be used at different times of a plants growth. I am currently using General Hydroponics Liquid KoolBloom and Snow Storm Ultra with good results as phosphate and potassium supplements in my grow. I believe that using a phosphate and potassium supplement in addition to the FoxFarm trio could improve your plants rate of development and possibly potency.

KJC, I can't thank you enough for your input, and the research you've done on my behalf. I've drawn the same conclusion for myself from experience (finally), but it definitely helps to have a 2nd opinion from an experienced and highly respected grower like yourself.

I determined the Foxfarm feeding schedule to be far to aggressive for the BHZ plant, while the more indica dominant strain I'm growing by the same method (not part of this journal) seems to be happily consuming full PPM concentration as recommended by Foxfarm, though the plant is perhaps only 1/3 the size of the BHZ plant.

I'm very impressed with your results using GH nutrients, and I believe I'd like to try using them with my next hydroponic grow.

I've got a 3 plant harvest coming up middle of this week, so I'll apologize in advance for probably not updating this journal for a while but all your guy's input has been very helpful and I'm learning a TON from this grow!

Peace

Back
Top Bottom