Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon Haze

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Great job snacks. :drool::bravo::high-five::thumb::goodjob:

Re: Snacks - DWC Bucket - 600W MH/HPS Grow Journal - Strawberry Diesel & Super Lemon

Wow, it looks like you nailed it! Great job! :bravo:

Yum! :thumb:
Weight shouldn't change much if you get them down to roughly 60% moisture before canning them.

:bravo::goodjob:buddy congratz on Ur harvest...........i think weight not decrease when curing...
:Namaste:

Yum! :thumb:
Weight shouldn't change much if you get them down to roughly 60% moisture before canning them.

Cool, good to know that about the weight. :thanks: guys!

Eyeballing the drying buds, it looks to me like maybe there will be about 5-6 oz of dry weight, but it's kind of hard to tell. In any case, it should be enough to last me and my family for a good long while ;)

Another question that came to mind is regarding the coco. I've read in the past that coco can be reused up to 3 times or so, and I was thinking of reusing it. But then I realized that these plants had root rot and I wonder if reusing them would be a bad idea in this case, or whether there is a way to "inoculate" the medium for reuse? Coco isn't very expensive, so I can easily use new stuff. That is what I'd probably lean toward for my next grow, but if it's not hard to inoculate this coco and reuse it, I might consider that.

To be on the safe side, I think I'm going to dump the used coco and go with a fresh batch for next time. No sense in gambling with the leftovers of root rot. Now I just need to look into the best way to clean all my planters and equipment to get them sterile before reuse. I'm guessing scrubbing with bleach may do the trick.

The buds are still drying within roughly the 45-55% RH zone and slightly cooler than the 65-75F temp zone; closer to 55-70F. They look good and are clearly drying out.

For next time I also want to research ways that I can encourage the buds to grow larger, assuming that is possible aside from choosing strong genetics, because I seem to recall the buds being bigger overall with the Blue Dream grow. I did note that the buds grew bigger this time on the branches which got supercropped and there were more bud sites there too which is interesting!

:green_heart:

Ah, this link on sterilizing equipment actually recommends against using bleach due to toxicity. How Do I Sterilize and Disinfect my System?. The info seems tailored for hydroponic systems, but probably still holds for drain to waste systems as well.

Hi folks!

The buds are still drying and the branches don't quite "snap" yet, so I figure they have a few more days to go. It's been only 5 and a half days of drying at this point and I'm hoping they'll be ready to start curing in the next few days.

I took some of the buds out for a quick photo shoot the other day since everyone likes bud pics, right? :bongrip:

2015-07-14_22-45-17_19.jpg

2015-07-14_22-46-38_532.jpg

2015-07-14_22-47-10_848.jpg

2015-07-14_22-48-22_323.jpg

2015-07-14_22-48-29_582.jpg

2015-07-14_22-50-17_389.jpg

2015-07-14_22-51-56_378.jpg

2015-07-15_19-50-14_984.jpg

2015-07-15_19-50-21_34.jpg

2015-07-15_19-50-48_60.jpg

Hope everyone (in the northern hemisphere) is having a great summer, or winter if you're in the southern hemisphere. ;)

:thanks: to everyone who has joined me for this grow!

Total dry weight should be coming in a few days... as well as plans for the next grow.

Congratulations, Snack! :bravo:

I have a soft spot for people who can nurse plants back from ill health. You did a marvelous job with these! Very nice buds. :Namaste:

Congratulations, Snack! :bravo:

I have a soft spot for people who can nurse plants back from ill health. You did a marvelous job with these! Very nice buds. :Namaste:

Thanks a lot Graytail! :high-five:

In this case, I was very motivated to salvage the clones because I had already invested a lot of time and effort into getting the grow area ready and actually acquiring the clones. Plus, I had somewhat of a schedule mapped out on the calendar to take into consideration a vacation. So, it would've been a major headache to have had to start over from scratch.

Thanks to the support I got from this site from folks such as yourself, and from researching a bunch of threads, I was fortunate to be able to turn them around and they eventually flourished. Needless to say, I'm really thrilled the buds are looking so good. You may have noticed I didn't trim off the sugar leaves with crystals on them because I read Doc Bud say that those actually have more THC in them than the buds themselves, which surprised me. I'll probably leave them as is and see how it goes.

Hey 420 friends!

The much anticipated curing time has begun! :cheer:

Yesterday, the buds were deemed fully dry using the branch snap test and using gloves I removed all the buds from their stems, sorted them (more on that in a minute), weighed them, and placed them into their new homes in mason jars where they will stay - curing with Boveda 62% humidity paks.

Here are a couple of shots from the session. Note that I only took photos of the washed buds, which were about 80% of the total.

Sadie's washed branches
2015-07-19_20-52-16_994.jpg

A close-up of Sadie's buds
2015-07-19_20-52-26_509.jpg

Regina's washed branches
2015-07-19_21-26-00_24.jpg

Tori's washed branches
2015-07-19_22-08-41_558.jpg

Vera's washed branches
2015-07-19_22-38-47_705.jpg

A close-up of Vera's washed buds
2015-07-19_22-38-58_17.jpg

A nice pile of Vera's buds
2015-07-19_22-50-06_292.jpg

Another close-up of Vera's buds
2015-07-19_22-50-28_432.jpg

All the buds in their jars
2015-07-19_23-10-22_840.jpg

Of the buds, there were basically three categories that I sorted them into.

1) washed buds

2) tops!! the larger premium buds at the tops of the colas

3) unwashed buds

For Sadie, I mixed washed and unwashed primo tops, but for the others, I only added washed tops to the tops category and the unwashed tops went in with all the other unwashed bud. I'm very curious to experience how the unwashed buds compare to the washed buds. Visually, they look pretty much identical to me and since I didn't do much foliar feeding and this was a very controlled grow indoors in a more or less sealed system, I'm not necessarily expecting that much of a difference, but we'll see.

Altogether the final tally was more than I estimated but short of my very lofty goal of 1 lb. That said, I'm feeling very good about the harvest. The buds look and smell absolutely terrific and I tested some and the quality is quite high. ;)
I expect that after it is cured for at least 2-4 weeks, it will be even better.

So, without further ado, the totals are:

Sadie - 57.0 grams or 2.035 oz.
Regina - 53.4 grams or 1.91 oz.
Tori - 54.9 grams or 1.96 oz.
Vera - 91.2 grams or 3.257 oz.

The grand total is 256.5 grams or 9.162 oz.

That is enough to last me and my wife many many moons and I will likely give a portion away to some family and close friends. Needless to say, I am thrilled at the outcome, especially considering the issue I experienced with root rot during veg and ultimately the decision to transplant from DWC into Coco, which I really wasn't sure would work out at all.

I would like to thank the 420 magazine community, and especially RSOiler, Graytail, and Major PITA for providing much needed guidance at times and sticking with me throughout this awesome journey.

:thanks:

It's really been a blast and part of me will miss updating this journal, but I will certainly plan to do another one in the future.

I'd like to keep this journal open for a little while to take any questions or comments and am also planning to post a summary, including lessons learned, so anyone coming here after the fact doesn't necessarily have to read through the entire journal to get to the meaty stuff.

Greenest regards!

WOW!!! Congratulations on a job well done. :high-five::bravo::goodjob::thumb::cheer::love:

Awesome harvest, snack! Very well done indeed! Are you going to do a smoke report?
:yahoo: :thumb: :goodjob: :high-five:

WOW!!! Congratulations on a job well done. :high-five::bravo::goodjob::thumb::cheer::love:

Thanks bud! I really appreciate you coming over when things were looking bleak and asking others to come pipe in too. Collectively you guys helped me a lot, and for that I am very grateful.

:circle-of-love:

Awesome harvest, snack! Very well done indeed! Are you going to do a smoke report?
:yahoo: :thumb: :goodjob: :high-five:

Yes! I do plan to submit a smoke report/strain review. Since I messed up the strain labeling when I transplanted them :oops: I'm not entirely sure which one is the SLH, but based on the outcome I'm fairly sure it must be Vera which is the SLH. That's good because she was the heaviest bud producer and I was originally hoping to grow all SLH but happened to get a few SD (Strawberry Diesel) clones instead. Unfortunately, I don't know which seed bank(s) these originated from, but I'll still plan to provide a smoke report once they get past the minimum 2 weeks of curing.

BTW, your girls are looking mighty fine! An outdoor grow is a beautiful thing :thumb:

:volcano-smiley:

:thanks:

Hi! ;)

Just wanted to say I am hoping to provide a summary of the grow this weekend if I can. Work and other life stuff has been incredibly busy for me lately, but I do hope to find some time on the weekend to wrap things up with a nice summary.

Keep it green everyone!

Darn it! I haven't had time to update the summary yet. Work is kicking my butt right now :-( But, I will do so as soon as possible. Sorry for anyone who might be waiting for it.

:peace:

Indica grow sessions says week 2 and week 6 of flower is the flush , 3 days flush 4 days bucket is empty of water then continue your feeding schedule then your final flush at week 12 if its a 9 week strain. Good luck and the clones look awesome.

Back
Top Bottom