Hello from Australia, SEQ

Holla4me

Hello.
I’m in SEQLD Australia. Been smoking since Adam was a boy. Early 70’s. Grown a little over the years just for fun. 10 years off but now back and loving how things have changed.
Used to grow whatever seeds you had left over now there’s a huge choice.
2 mediums growing. All in dirt pots. No hydro for me. One in sun, one under lights. Just a couple to get my head around growing again.
Looking forward to learning lots from you peoples.
Question: my plants under lights have really fat leaves but little height after 3 weeks. Are my lights too close ? 8”. No burn. Using LED. Look very healthy, just concerned about height and yield.

Hello.
I’m in SEQLD Australia. Been smoking since Adam was a boy. Early 70’s. Grown a little over the years just for fun. 10 years off but now back and loving how things have changed.
Used to grow whatever seeds you had left over now there’s a huge choice.
2 mediums growing. All in dirt pots. No hydro for me. One in sun, one under lights. Just a couple to get my head around growing again.
Looking forward to learning lots from you peoples.
Question: my plants under lights have really fat leaves but little height after 3 weeks. Are my lights too close ? 8”. No burn. Using LED. Look very healthy, just concerned about height and yield.
Welcome to 420 MAGAZINE Mate.
Have you got a photograph of your plant? 8 inch is pretty close, but it depends on the out-put of the light..

6A8D4BDD-816D-44BD-A9D1-E9D678E88E42.jpeg

A good pot mix. I’m about to repot into a much more loose mix. I think the soil might be a bit dense. My outdoor ones I repotted yesterday. I’ve made a mix with perlite, seedling mix ( for the fine sand ) and a good potting mix. They are being fed miracle grow and bio diesel bat guano for root development.
I’m hoping the improved soil with more airation.

A good seedling mix should have enough nutrients in to last until they are about 3 nodes high. So hold off the nutrients and bat poop for now. But definitely a new soil with perlite, that will surely help them.. just be ultra careful of the roots, as they are fragile at the mo..

Now, how have you been watering them? Check this link out, it's written by one highly knowledgeable member The proper way to water a potted plant. If the soil is dense, I think they might be over watered... so the new soil is a great idea..

Hopefully you're on the right tracks, you knew what to do to fix them, I just confirmed it..
Some other members will chip in soon... but start with the basics and you should see a difference in days...

:welcome:gday mate, I'm from New Zealand, I've been trying some soil from easyasorganics, my plants like it, and I think you can get it in Aussie. If you like making your own soil, there's heaps of info about it on here and people are really helpful. Oh, it's easier to see your plants with natural light, like normal room light or sunlight. :thumb:

This was last week much fatter now. I’ll also send a pic of the light. I’ve seen recommendations to have the light a bit higher.

6A637270-B6D6-4F17-98A9-6413F358A7EE.jpeg
Overall the plants look very good. I wouldn’t worry about the close spaced nodes, they’re only just starting their third set of leaves. I would be a little (or a lot) suspect of the lights stated output. At that lights price point ($26-$40 US dollars), there’s no way it’s putting out 8000 or even 5000 watts. I would guess much, much less. It’ll probably veg just fine, but may need help for flowering.

Overall the plants look very good. I wouldn’t worry about the close spaced nodes, they’re only just starting their third set of leaves. I would be a little (or a lot) suspect of the lights stated output. At that lights price point ($26-$40 US dollars), there’s no way it’s putting out 8000 or even 5000 watts. I would guess much, much less. It’ll probably veg just fine, but may need help for flowering.
Help flowering ? So you think I’ll need more light ? Was planning on getting another so had 2 in my tent.

I’d check the spectrum(s) that the light puts out. I have feeling that light might be a little weak in the red spectrum, which is what helps promote flowers. If you have the spectrum info from the light compare it to the optimum spectrum for marijuana. Also, do you know what the actual power draw from the wall is? That will give you a better idea of the actual power of the light.

I’m no expert but this is the info supplied.
FE9B7C45-9DC1-450C-8BC3-F0E7C1F9FA33.jpeg
Unfortunately that spec sheet doesn't show how many watts the light actually draws. But again at that price, it's not putting out anywhere near 8000 watts. My guess is that it's somewhere between 25 and 200 watts, but there's really no way I know of to figure it out. The LED's are actually pretty decent (SMD2835), but the spectrum is a little narrow. If you're planning on getting another light, I'd suggest something with a veg/bloom switch. Hopefully someone else will chime in. One last question, is your power 220v or 110V?

Hi! Welcome!! Hope you get this light info straightened out. This is a valuable resource for your grow, this site. Be sure to float around and take a look moving forward. Good luck!!!

Unfortunately that spec sheet doesn't show how many watts the light actually draws. But again at that price, it's not putting out anywhere near 8000 watts. My guess is that it's somewhere between 25 and 200 watts, but there's really no way I know of to figure it out. The LED's are actually pretty decent (SMD2835), but the spectrum is a little narrow. If you're planning on getting another light, I'd suggest something with a veg/bloom switch. Hopefully someone else will chime in. One last question, is your power 220v or 110V?
I’m on 240v. It has veg and bloom switch. It seems to be in the spectrum for both blue and red. Most reading says height from 6” to 12”. Run both switches for 18/6 then when ready 12/12. No need to flick switches.

Back
Top Bottom