Help please?

Olhippy

Hi All

1st post here so please bear with me, and I do apologize in advance for all the noob ?'s.

I did search but did not find my answers

I have not grown anything since the summer of 1980 and was using a common by product of the day to plant......bags were full of seeds back then......

I have bought a 5 pack of White Widow. I live in central Alberta and will be planting them into pots and growing them out side in my garden.

I would like to know what is the best way to germinate and start them. They will end up in 3 gal pots and I was wondering how much sunlight they need.

I am an accomplished gardener, we grow a years worth of vegetables in the garden.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Larry

Hi Olhippy aka Larry.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members! :welcome:

I'd be happy if I could be of assistance. There are a couple pretty popular (thus tried and true) mean of germinating your seeds. The first that comes to mind is inside a damp/wet paper towel. Some variation of placing the seeds inside a folded over paper towel or napkin and then either placing it inside a baggy or otherwise sealable container and then placing it in a warmish, dark place. Warm being defined as something in the 75-80'ish degrees Farenheit with little variation in that temperature. Seed should germinate with 24-48 hours although both longer and shorter germination times are not unheard of. After the root reaches a length of about 1/4 inch the seed can be planted in soil. Root down. :thumb:

Probably the second most common germination method is soaking the seeds in a glass of water. Some people will use distilled water or take some other percautions but I have used city tap water successfully many times. Same basic warmish temp/dark conditions from above apply as does the time frame.

As to how much sunlight. Early in their growth cycle you'll want to baby them a little as you would any seedling. They don't require any extra special precautions but you'll want to harden them off for at least a couple days before putting them out full time. I confess I've never grown as far north as you are located so know the next statement may reflect my ignorance (but thats never stopped me before ;) ), but after they are hardened off, you'll want to get them about as much sunlight as possible.

Be well and happy growing!

grow them like your tomatoes :cheer::cheer::cheer:
read forum 420:420:
and do a journal its fun and you learn alot from exp growers here :adore::adore:
ps you dont have any of thos seeds from the 80 left:thanks:

Thanks guys.

I found some info on the Crop King site about the water glass method. and I have done the wet towel method lots so that should work for me.
I have a bit of a greenhouse where I plan on at least starting them. Ideally I would like to leave them in there however it is visible from the street!!

Hehehe, regrettably my tomatoes are along my fence line so they will be hiding in amongst some blackberry bushes and a couple other spots that receive sunlight for the better part of the day.

How tall can I expect these plants to grow?

Sorry seeds back then were an absolute pain in the .....well ....ahem....you know. :)

many thanks for the help and yes I will look into a journal.

Cheers
Larry

I'm going to rely again on my previous disclaimer re: your location, but left unattended they may get as tall 4-5 ft. You can always top them or employ one of several other methods for maintaining more of a shorter, bushier shape if that presents a problem. See topping, fimming, or mainlining for well documented methods of keeping the height in check.

Back
Top Bottom