Help please

I also do not grow in coco, but it is my understanding that it is a form of hydro because there is NO food nor water storage capacity in it. Therefore, the plant needs food and water every day. The wetness is not an issue like it is in soil, it is just another way to grow. It is basically just like growing your plant in a full hydro setup. The roots that the plant makes are made for that situation. I've looked at quite a few journals from coco growers, and I'm pretty sure they aren't sacrificing anything. Plants are adaptable in this circumstance.
Ace - correct
Coco/NFT Grower

But, have you tested it?
Have you run a room ... half getting daily feed/water and the other half getting only what they need? then comparing health and production?

Yes, these plants are adaptable. Hearty. Amazing creatures. But, I don't like forcing my plants to adapt to what I think they should be. I prefer to figure out what they want, and provide it.
It's always paid off; both in plants and people.

j.
I do not run hydro, but I have seen many successful examples here (on 420mag) - those roots are never not wet. The plant can handle it just fine - as long as it has what it needs.
It is my opinion that everything we do with plants is forcing them to adapt. Plants do not naturally live inside of houses or inside of small containers. Giving them what they want is what helps us get away with it. There are a LOT of ways to do this.

Please read the above first paragraph, and commit to memory the part about "if it becomes too wet" STOP WATERING till it gets dry.
The watering/feeding of coco is plain forward
You drench to approximately 15 - 20% runoff at least daily.
I'm currently feeding twice a day with 2 plants mid way through flower.
The 3 gallon airpot is always dried out a fair bit at the beginning of a new day.
Plants at this stage drink so voraciously they never get too wet.
Adequate drainage of the pots is essential and prompt vacuum of discharge is a must

The watering/feeding of coco is plain forward
You drench to approximately 15 - 20% runoff at least daily.
I'm currently feeding twice a day with 2 plants mid way through flower.
The 3 gallon airpot is always dried out a fair bit at the beginning of a new day.
Plants at this stage drink so voraciously they never get too wet.
Adequate drainage of the pots is essential and prompt vacuum of discharge is a must
Yes.
It is plain forward.
Here is the LABEL ON THE BAGS.

1620623445745.png

Don't let it get wet, but to "keep the material a bit dry" ... did ya see that?
If it gets too wet ... STOP WATERING. That's what they say to do.

I think it somewhat depends on the type of nutrients you're using too. I believe @NuttyProfessor did some experimentation with letting coco dry out a bit.
yes i let dry 50% , feed 1/4 strength nutes , then 1/2 mid flower , i have never went over 750 ppm if you do you get issues , i am very tight with nutes not because what they cost its because how concentrated they are and it does not take long to have a salt build up :goodluck:

Yea, if yer growing tomatoes lol
Apples and oranges ... or pot and 'maters .... different.

One of my favorite things to do in life is to stand in the middle of a tomato garden and pull one off the vine, wipe it on my shirt and take a bit bite out of it. The sun-warmed juice runs down my arm ... mmmmm, orgasm.

When was the last time you did that with a MJ bud? Did juice run down your arm? There's a little bit more water in a tomato than in a bud ...

I got nothin to sell you. My life doesn't change if you don't believe me. If you think that these plants, in the wild, have wet roots all the time ... well, I'd never try to interfere with anyone's beliefs.
I prefer science.

Afghanistan for example, is not a very hospitable place for any form of life; and water is not plentiful.

But, hey, if it works for you to keep your girls wet all the time ... go for it.

Plants don't grow in coco coir in the wild. I'd agree with almost everything you've said if we were talking about growing in soil. Which I do and run a full wet/dry cycle.

As for Afghanistan there's plenty of water in the areas that are fertile. The Afghans are very good at channelling water to crops through irrigation ditches from sources such as the Helmand River. I've been there 4 times and seen all the areas from baron desert, to lush green zones and beautiful mountain ranges.

OK, not picking a fight, but I'm not getting something here
Roots need Oxygen, not dryness - rather dryness is associated with not over-watering in soil/coco
If plants required a dry period, how the hell does NFT, DWC, Aeroponics etc work (which they undoubtedly do)
I've done wet grows with H2O2 which also works fine as did a guerrilla grow in a nearby stream as the water is naturally oxygenated & full of natural goodies
Crossed lines I guess - we all know our stuff

You can feed coco 4 times a day with a full on drench and never overwater. You can also overwater coco in a single water/flush incident. Coco is pretty dummy proof in that you can reset the root zone in a single watering session. Still.. if the plant locks up (usually do to a ph problem), and quits eating/drinking, a couple of consecutive drenches will make her unhappy. Follow that with a flush, and you’ll have classic overwatering syndrome. Leave water in the bottom of the saucer/pan at this time and… RIP.

I’d let her sit for a few days. I’d maybe elevate the pot an inch or 2 off the ground. Id feed her to 1.5 times potsize with a 500-700 ppm hydro nutrient formula and watch her for a couple days. If she turns around, go to a regular dtw feed schedule. Good luck!

You can feed coco 4 times a day with a full on drench and never overwater. You can also overwater coco in a single water/flush incident. Coco is pretty dummy proof in that you can reset the root zone in a single watering session. Still.. if the plant locks up (usually do to a ph problem), and quits eating/drinking, a couple of consecutive drenches will make her unhappy. Follow that with a flush, and you’ll have classic overwatering syndrome. Leave water in the bottom of the saucer/pan at this time and… RIP.

I’d let her sit for a few days. I’d maybe elevate the pot an inch or 2 off the ground. Id feed her to 1.5 times potsize with a 500-700 ppm hydro nutrient formula and watch her for a couple days. If she turns around, go to a regular dtw feed schedule. Good luck!
She didn't make it I learned a very valuable leason.the hard way..won't happen again..promise that

sorry to hear that. Best of luck on the next one. Drop me a message if you journal her. I’d love to be a fly on the wall.

RIP young lady
T

She's my first got her to flower so I feel kinda successful ..but at same time I failed..learning experience any input or advice for my seedling now 2 inches high will be forever greatful..thanks to everyone on here some great advice

T

She's my first got her to flower so I feel kinda successful ..but at same time I failed..learning experience any input or advice for my seedling now 2 inches high will be forever greatful..thanks to everyone on here some great advice
That's how we learn. I am reminded of words to a song: "There's no success like failure; and failure is no success at all."

I am of the opinion that there are many roads to achieve our goals in growing this plant. Many ways to do the same thing. And, most of the time ... they're all right. As previously observed; the plant is very adaptive and forgiving.
It is results driven. If you are getting the results you want, keep doing it. If not, do something different.

One of the most common mistakes we make is loving our plants too much. We water them too much, we feed them too much. I'm guilty of it too. I went a little bit too far a couple weeks ago and overfed a whole room and stalled it for a week.
That's expensive in a commercial operation. A weeks food, energy, labor.

You'll get better at spotting problems earlier, and preventing them.
Welcome aboard.

Ok hold the presses,

first coco and soil are 2 different things entirely. Coco is totally inert there are zero nutrients in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed low dose or 1/4 strength nutes every day, plain water or plain ph adjusted water will not work.

Can you find the bag? Take a pic of the label & ingredients. If it’s pure coco then in one sense you can’t overwater.
You tell em "013"!

Hope all is good with you all tonite..i am discouraged...I drowned a awsome flowering plant to this with my little girls..any input would be wonderful I want to be as good as all of you....
20210513_195838.jpg

Can some help lead me in the right direction l seem to be going backwards
I drowned a flowering female to this with the little girls...im loosing this attempt to stock my own...thank you for any advice

20210513_195838.jpg

Can some help lead me in the right direction l seem to be going backwards
I drowned a flowering female to this with the little girls...im loosing this attempt to stock my own...thank you for any advice

20210513_195838.jpg
Dude relax, ok?
I can feel your angst ...

They look fine.
A little bit of brown is not an abnormal thing.

Water and feed lightly.
Quit fretting.

You ever have kids?
A new mom is a thing to behold.
When the first child cries, or makes a noise ... mom is right there. All concerned and 'what's wrong' and ... fretting.
By the time she's had a couple of kids the whole attitude changes ... kid falls down and cries, she smiles at him and helps him up. No biggie. She knows they bounce; and if they get a scrape - he will heal.

You are that new mom.
Take a breath.

Read everything you can on these boards and elsewhere about these life forms. They truly are amazing. But they tougher than you think.

/

Back
Top Bottom