Help, Whats infected my seedlings?

thegardner

high,

got some mr bubble seedlings doing well until yesterday when i noticed some damage,can any1 tell me what it is?

pic110.jpg

kind regards

greetings thegardener... and welcome to 420Mag... a great source for help, info, and random banter.

You photo would tell us MUCH more if it were taken under white light. Any chance you can get us a photo with natural colors?
We need some more info about what kind of grow (looks like soil), and what have you done to them so far?

Hard to tell from the photo, but is the damage little tracks along the leaves? That would indicate leaf miners.

Have you checked the Plant and Pest Problem Solver ? It has alot of info along with photographic examples.

Cheers... and best of luck!

high,

thanks for the quick reply,
ive looked throught the problem solver and to me it looks like leaf miners but im not sure, iv got 10 seedlings growing in coco ive been watering them with canna rhizotonic at a ph of about 6.0

i will take them outside to try get a better picture which ill post a.s.a.p
2 plants showing the same damage seems like spots appearing so iv removed them from my grow room

pic211.jpg

regards

Looks like leaf minor damage to me too. Man, they really took a bite out of your baby. I realize it's really small, but they've chewed away 50% of your plant mass. Got a remedy in mind, or would you like some suggestions? I personally use Neem for a long term overall level of protection and tobacco juice to address any immediate issues.
The leaves are really yellow. Are the rest of your babies yellow, or is that the result of the damage?

Cheers

... and quit chewing your fingernails!

Sorry... that was my mother speaking thru me.

Cheers!

lmao i couldnt help it :D

could do with some suggestions if u dont mind as this is my 1st grow,
yellowing leaves are a result of the damage 8 others are vibrant green and healthy,ive just taken off all the damaged leaves and will leave them out of the grow room and see how they go,just got the tops left now on those 2
will try making up some tobacco juice for the other 8 and see how it goes.

many thanks for your help its much appreciated :)
regards

Ok... so leaf miners are the larval state of a little green grasshopper looking think (I think), and their little larval babies are chewing their way between the upper and lower parts of the leaves. The little buggers stay protected that way... topical things don't touch them because they're protected by the upper and lower leaf surfaces. Quite evil and effective really.... I have to give a nod to Mother Nature.

Most suggestions for the control of leaf miners revolve around the use a Neem oil, or one of the Neem based insecticides.

Neem oil works by permeating the plant either by absorbtion thru the leaves, or thru the root system. Neem oil is a slower acting insecticide since it needs to work it's way into the plant. I find that the effectiveness kicks in about 1 week after application.

Technically, Neem oil disrupts the reproductive processes of the bugs that eat it. You might occasionally see some initial damage from a bug, but they can't live in or on your plants, so the attack from the bug will cause their death... or cause them to be unable to reproduce.

Neem oil comes in many forms. You can buy the raw oil, or you can find many products in the insecticide isle based on Neem. I use the raw oil. I mix 1qt water with 1tsp of raw Neem oil, and 1tsp dawn dish soap. You need the soap to keep the oil mixed with the water. I spray my babies down hard... drench them from all angles and really coat all surfaces of every leaf. The left overs I dump into the soil.

Neem will protect your babies against a myriad of insects ranging from leaf miners to spider mites and caterpillars.

I consider my Neem program to be highly effective. I live in a very insect friendly environment and had been using tons of insecticides until I discovered Neem. Extremely cost effective to boot.

Cheers!

Dude those are seedlings and may not be strong enough to take a spray or dip. I'v killed young plants like this b4. 1st off quarantine the obviously infected plants. Leaf miners are maggots of a fly that destroys ur foliage. U can simply place stick traps up for adults. Since there are so few leaves take them all one at a time and place between thumb and fore finger. Next squeeze and smash whatever's there. Be careful not to tear or rip leaves. Yes I'm serious, do it. This should help some. Just what I pick up doin a little reading. Hey man, neem on seedling or young plant IMO is not a good idea at all. Too easy to burn. My 2 cents. Just curious, what kinda soil u using? U using nutes already? If so its not necessary this early in soil. How old are the seedlings? If Mr. Bubble is crossed with bubble gum then ur dealing with a potential nutrient sensitive strain (bubblegum is a sensitive strain from my experience with it). Hope this helps

thanks for all the replys,

ive ordered some neem oil but wont use it straight away,
im using canna coco to grow in and just started the nutes this morning (canna coco A+B)
i will have a go at squeezing the leaves,my friend recommended using something hot like pepper in the water would this help at all?
yes mr bubble is a bubblegum x think its kali mist its crossed with,
i have taken 4 infected plants out of the grow room
and hopefully ill be able to get on top of it before the pests kill my babies,
the seedlings are 5 weeks old and going very slow but i figure thats because i havent been using nutes from start which i did because i thought u werent supposed to use nutes on seedlings, is that only true for soil as its already got plenty of nutes in?

thanks for all the help its much appreciated
king regards
thegardner

Coco is inert.U need nutes from jump. Like hydro. U must supply all of the nutes. Be sure to monitor the plants that weren't quarantined so that u can see if u missed any pests. Again, IMO ur plants are too young and vulnerable to spray or dip. I'm thinkin the pepper may be too much at this point, but I could be wrong. Some1 else my know of other methods but what I've suggested is the safest way to play it as far as I can see.

high

thank you very much,my friend didnt tell me i needed nutes straight away with coco ah i couldve been 2wks into flowering now :(

well i squeezed all the leaves on the infected plants and i think it worked as there was a bit of noise when doing it i did a few leaves on other plants too but didnt get no noise out of them,but i will squeeze them a couple of times a day until they are mature enough to withstand spraying and dipping,

thank you both very much your advice has been priceless and more than likely saved me :)

kind regards
thegardner

high,

lights have just come on and iv given them their second feed today,my nute mix is about 6.0 using liquid ph tester and the runoff is around 6.5 does that sound alright?

:thanks:
thegardner

Thanks for the rep hit baby.
I feel bad because I was steering you in the wrong direction.
I love Neem, and feel it's very effective. Wait till your babies are bigger, and then start (and perhaps stay) with just the leaf spray.
My babies that I had a problem with simply stopped growing. They stayed green and are still in my garden, but they seem stuck in time.

Cheers!

high,

unfortunately all plants are now showing damage,ill keep feeding and squeezing leaves till they bigger hopefully the miners wont kill them off b4 i get chance to spray them,if they do end up dying what would be the best way to disinfect my grow area?

thanks for all the help ppl,much appreciated
regards
thegardner

Back
Top Bottom