How long to burp cannabis?

pointer80

Hello all, I have my product in turkey bags which are in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and a couple boveda packs for a extra measure of safety. I have been burping my cannabis twice a day for three weeks which is how long it's been in the buckets. I have started to burp the buckets once a day now and was wondering how long should I continue to burp them? Or can I stop burping the buckets or burp them less? Thanks all.

@pointer80, when you are opening up the bucket to burp the harvest are you also opening up the turkey bag? The purpose of the curing process is to get rid of the cholorphyll still in the buds and allow them to air out which means both the bag and the bucket should be open at the same time.

I am not sure but putting a Boveda or humidity control pack with the buds might not be helping any at this time. Most of the articles and msgs I have read about curing mention putting in the packs after the cure is finished. That is what I have been doing, anyway.

@pointer80, when you are opening up the bucket to burp the harvest are you also opening up the turkey bag? The purpose of the curing process is to get rid of the cholorphyll still in the buds and allow them to air out which means both the bag and the bucket should be open at the same time.

I am not sure but putting a Boveda or humidity control pack with the buds might not be helping any at this time. Most of the articles and msgs I have read about curing mention putting in the packs after the cure is finished. That is what I have been doing, anyway.

Yes I am opening up the turkey bags as and doing this for about 20 minutes a day. I guess that is what I am wondering is my product cured enough after 3 weeks of burping to not burp as often or at all? Thanks

This is actually a great idea for storing a large quantity of bud into one container instead of using several mason jars like I do now.... the only thing I would do differently is not use any turkey bags, as I don’t see the point of using them... you just need to store the buds in an air tight, dark, container... just fill the bucket up with fully dried buds and toss a couple bovedas packs in for good measure.. thanks for the idea :thumb:

.. now as far as burping is concerned, I burp my jars 3 times a day and give them a shake for the first 7-10 days. Then I burp twice a day for a week, then once a day for a week, then once a week for a week. Then your ready for long term storage, in which you will still want to burp once every few months... I personally continue to burp once a month, for a few months before I start to burp only once every 3 months..now this is just the way I do it with glass mason jars, there many different methods of curing. This is just the way I go about doing mine, as I found it works best for me through trial and error.

This is actually a great idea for storing a large quantity of bud into one container instead of using several mason jars like I do now.... the only thing I would do differently is not use any turkey bags, as I don’t see the point of using them... you just need to store the buds in an air tight, dark, container... just fill the bucket up with fully dried buds and toss a couple bovedas packs in for good measure.. thanks for the idea :thumb:

.. now as far as burping is concerned, I burp my jars 3 times a day and give them a shake for the first 7-10 days. Then I burp twice a day for a week, then once a day for a week, then once a week for a week. Then your ready for long term storage, in which you will still want to burp once every few months... I personally continue to burp once a month, for a few months before I start to burp only once every 3 months..now this is just the way I do it with glass mason jars, there many different methods of curing. This is just the way I go about doing mine, as I found it works best for me through trial and error.
I harvested fruity pebbles early 2019 and i still burp the jars and just finished there final trim last week.

I guess that is what I am wondering is my product cured enough after 3 weeks of burping to not burp as often or at all?
Yes, you should be good. I also use buckets...much easier than jars, especially for the curing stage. I give the bucket a soft roll to mix the buds, pop the top, and wave out the bucket air (which draws in fresh air) and close it up. I have Gamma Lids but found the easy-off lids easier, quicker, and cheaper.

the only reason I am using turkey bags is I thought there was too much headspace in the buckets. Thanks

the only reason I am using turkey bags is I thought there was too much headspace in the buckets. Thanks
I ordered 3.5g buckets (pic above) from HD because there is a lot of headspace for most harvests....but I actually transferred the above harvest into a 5g bucket to create more aeration space...now she fills about 2/3 of a 5g. The 3.5 buckets for my other harvest are about 1/3 full, take up less space in storage, and also stack :cheesygrinsmiley:

Fresh air is actually detrimental to the conversion of chlorophyll. The microbiology that converts chlorophyll is anaerobic. So the more time your buds spend without fresh air the more the chlorophyll is being converted. The issue is, without fresh air once in a while, mold can set in at higher humidities, thus burping.
That also explains why we stop burping when the RH is at 62%. That level of humidity removes the danger of mold, so we don’t need to introduce fresh air... in short, burping isn’t for curing... it’s for mold prevention.. time spent in a sealed jar is where the curing happens

Fresh air is actually detrimental to the conversion of chlorophyll. The microbiology that converts chlorophyll is anaerobic. So the more time your buds spend without fresh air the more the chlorophyll is being converted. The issue is, without fresh air once in a while, mold can set in at higher humidities, thus burping.
That also explains why we stop burping when the RH is at 62%. That level of humidity removes the danger of mold, so we don’t need to introduce fresh air... in short, burping isn’t for curing... it’s for mold prevention.. time spent in a sealed jar is where the curing happens
Well shit...that makes sense. Also saves me the effort of opening those damn buckets :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is the answer I was looking for @ChefDGreen. Thanks Bro! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom