How To Clone A Cannabis Plant

Here are the bad points. Clones grow slower than a F1 hybrid will because of the lost of its hybrid vigor. This also means a F1 can grow about 25% bigger than a clone.

I've found that instead of taking cuttings clone the tops you take when topping. They grow faster, have more dense plant structure and have stronger and thicker stems

I’ve heard that some growers dip their cuttings into unpasteurized honey and that it works well .
I’ve only used gel..interested in an opinion on using honey
Of course rooting hormones work. Honey works well also. I have great success with using them together. It is so easy when you have set all in place. I snip then immediately dip into the honey about 1/4 to1/2 inch. Now immediately dip into rooting powder and place into media. I like the way the honey sticks to cuttings and the powder stays on the honey. I use water dip first for some plants.
Do plants stop being able to use rooting hormones when they get older? Will plants benefit from continuing to use hormones on mature plants?

Of course rooting hormones work. Honey works well also. I have great success with using them together. It is so easy when you have set all in place. I snip then immediately dip into the honey about 1/4 to1/2 inch. Now immediately dip into rooting powder and place into media. I like the way the honey sticks to cuttings and the powder stays on the honey. I use water dip first for some plants.
Do plants stop being able to use rooting hormones when they get older? Will plants benefit from continuing to use hormones on mature plants?
I do exactly the same…use honey or pure aloe vera , plus the rooting powder…..works great and probably 98% success .

Ok guys lets do some cloning. There is tons of info about this subject already but people will always ask for more info. I think the reason for this is because most people are afraid to cut their plant. They are not fragile. Pruning and cutting usually will increase bud production. It doesn't really hurt the mother plant, the only real stressful part is on the cutting itself. Cloning is the most traumatic experience a clipping via clone will endure. You are forcing a clipping to transform into a growing plant. We are making a stem that was growing leaves to all of the sudden grow roots and undergo severe changes to survive. Because of this you should take more cuttings than you need. Don't worry, it gets easier.

Cloning. MJ plants can reproduce sexually or asexually. Seeds are from reproducing sexually while clones are propagated asexually. To be technical cloning is taking cells from the plant (for growers that means cuttings) and promoting its growth to become a plant all its own.
Before we start Lets talk a little about the good points and the bad points to cloning.

Good points are as followed. It reduces the the time to having a mature plant. You don't need high power lights to start clones, florescents work very well for cloning.Since clones are genetic copies of thier mothers all clones will be the same sex. Taking a clone and flowering it will tell you what sex your soon to be mother is. Since clones are genetic copies, they grow at the same rate so other techniques like SOG (Sea of green) or SGROG (screen of green). The older the mother is the easier it is to induce flowering.

Here are the bad points. Clones grow slower than a F1 hybrid will because of the lost of its hybrid vigor. This also means a F1 can grow about 25% bigger than a clone. You have to start with a good mother because all the characteristics of the mother, the clones will have the same. Clones are less disease and pest resistant because of the trauma a clone has to undergo to become a plant. You need at least two different growing areas, one for veg and clones, the other for flowering. Some plants are very diffacult to clone or its just not possible. Like certain unstable hybrids, Sativa with early flowering properties, or the Ruderalis with autoflowering properties like the Lowrider.

Preperations for cloning. Clones develop a stronger and faster root system when they have a high carbohydrate and and low nitogen concentration. Flush your plants one week prior to taking cuttings and feed only water for that week. Just don't drown your plants. Since I do hydro it makes it a ot easier, just change the water in the res every other day for a week. Reverse folier feeding will also help leech nitrogen from the leaves. Just fill spray bottle with water and mist your mother heavily eryday once for three to five days. Hormone content is different in different parts of the plants. The bottom of the plant has more hormones in it so the lower branches tend to root better and faster than towards the top of the plant. There are many cloning compounds out there but I prefer the gel. It coats evenly and sticks to the plant well. Which ever you use just read the instructions and make sure its for use with edible plants.

Now its time to get ready. Clean and disinfect your work areas and tools. Always use sharp scissors or a razor and clean with alcohol. Have everything ready and within easy reach like rockwool, scissors humidity dome ect.

Cloning, step by step.grab a firm branch and cut at a 45 degree angle and take a cutting about two to four inches in length. To not damage the bottom of the cutting. Trim off the lower leaves and node points. Then place cuttings in water. A embolism is a air bubble that can get trapped in the stem and kill the clone, this is the reason to soak cuttings in water until your ready to put in grow medium. Make sure the ph is between five and six. Do not fertilize the clones.

Pic of chronic mother
100_0621.JPG

Picking a branch
100_0625.JPG

The first cutting.
100_0626.JPG

Same cutting but removed the lower leaves and node points.
100_0627.JPG

Split the end to create more surface area for roots. I chose this method because is causes a stronger root system. Only draw back is it takes more time to root.
100_0628.JPG

Lightly scrape the skin aroung split stem to expose more of the cambium layer.
The cambium layer is where the plant generates roots.
100_0629.JPG

Dip end in cloning gel. I hope my rooting hormone still works. It is old and has turned into a liquid.
100_0630.JPG

Put clipping in rockwool or whatever growing medium. Make sure its very moist and that you press or fill your medium around the hole to keep air away from the rooting area
100_0631.JPG

100_0632.JPG

I like to spray the dome to give a humidity boost.

100_0633.JPG

In about two weeks I should have some clones.

Pic of mother chronic after final pruning and topping.

100_0634.JPG
newbee here. starting to grow a nice female but when can you start to clone?

newbee here. starting to grow a nice female but when can you start to clone?
You can start to take a cutting when the plant is large enough that it will remain healthy after you have removed the cutting. If you take the cutting and there are not enough leaves left to support the plant it might really slow down and barely grow for a few weeks.

Probably best to grow you first plant all the way through to harvest to get a feeling for how the plant grows without having all kinds of training and cutting happening to it.

My few plants now are starting to flower ,all branches with side branches have white hairs ( the start of buds) on them .I'm hesitating to cut one of those branches to clone because I'll lose a bud . I guess losing one bud to start an entire new plant that has the potential of having many buds is a ok trade off . Would I have much chance of a flowering branch growing over an earlier one ( had I done this earalier ) ?

They are harder to clone once in flower. That said I trying to root cuttings from a plant 3 weeks into flower just to see if I can do it.
I used to keep a note stapled to the door of my flowering cabinet that said "No Clones After 3 Weeks". That was 3 weeks from the 12/12 switch so one week till the flowers started and two weeks of flowering. It was just too hard to get them to root in time to survive.

I used to keep a note stapled to the door of my flowering cabinet that said "No Clones After 3 Weeks". That was 3 weeks from the 12/12 switch so one week till the flowers started and two weeks of flowering. It was just too hard to get them to root in time to survive.
Mine is 3 weeks from pistils so a bit of a tall order perhaps. By three weeks in you should be far enough into flower to be able to identify any special plants you want to keep around (tastes, smells, frost, etc).

Mine is 3 weeks from pistils so a bit of a tall order perhaps. By three weeks in you should be far enough into flower to be able to identify any special plants you want to keep around (tastes, smells, frost, etc).
Yes.

In my case I start taking cuttings as soon as the plant can handle being loosing 50% of its leaves & stems. Then one or two of the clones end up going into flower and become the samples tasters and testers. Give away samples in exchange for reports. If all is good then the mother continues to donate and even some of the clones become mothers.

If all is not good then the mother gets flowered as well as any remaining clones.

In my case I start taking cuttings as soon as the plant can handle being loosing 50% of its leaves & stems. Then one or two of the clones end up going into flower and become the samples tasters and testers. Give away samples in exchange for reports. If all is good then the mother continues to donate and even some of the clones become mothers.

If all is not good then the mother gets flowered as well as any remaining clones.
Should add that I do not directly pay for any seeds. People give a single seed to me and tell me the story of how they got the it. I give them samples of whatever I already have grown as a sort of payment. When the time comes I tell them that the seed was started. They never do anything as far as helping out with any of the growing, trimming, or anything else. They do not come over to visit with the plant.

i defol a little bit through veg and will sometimes start clones then. most of clones will get taken at my main defol is just before flip and at 2 wks in. they root in much quicker than before the plant shows flower.

when i do clones i take them from all my plants and make sure i mark them. if i get a good pheno i'll concentrate on the clones from that plant and either cull or gift the others.

i clone hempy style and can easily wind up with 3 times more than i need. last 2 times though i haven't bothered with clone runs and have gone back to seed to get some variety in the jars.

I got 3/5 to root. Took about an extra week to do so from my normal veg clones which was not all that bad really. I'll grow the best one out to watch the progression then feed it to the worms. I'm expecting a much bushier plant from it but I guess we'll see.

This was very helpful Thanks Buddy for sharing

welcome to the site @iFeelz

take a moment to pop in the intro section and let everyone know about yourself and your grow passion.

Back
Top Bottom