Hydro vs Organic

I did a harvest this season that should be wrappin up quite nice in a few weeks. Nothin beats mother nature. Unfortunately some places aren't weather friendly year round. Hydro though will get me atleast 4 decent sise grows a year. Plus it's not as laboring

Hey guys I just came here and there are so many ACTUAL informative topics! I honestly believe that Organic soil or hydro is a choice. I had never grown anything green or otherwise before I started our favorite hobby and I have come to an interesting conclusion.

The end product is what matters, growing is similar to cooking. Everyone has little kinks and ticks and growing either hydro or organic may help different people achieve the results that they want. Its all about what makes you MORE COMFORTABLE.

I am forgetful and I glorify in the efficiency of things. Soil just makes more sense to me somehow (plants grow in dirt durrrrr). I did Deep Water Culture for a long time actually and I haven't really noticed a difference. Soil is more forgiving, and the power shuts off randomly a couple times a month for at least 15-20 minutes where I live and when I have roots that need oxygenated water and pumps that need electricity.....

Journals Forum

If u like soil there are plenty of grows to check out here if ur interested in learning other growing techniques>Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine. My last grow was a soil grow, U can view it by clicking the "follow my grow (1st journal completed)" in my signature. U plan to start a journal with us? Oh yea and thanks for the + rep.

I think that in many ways its about preference as well as skill.

example is that lets say that BWC is a god with growing in soil and im a newb at hydro and we start the same strain on the same day. BWC is hands down going to have a better crop with less problems and a better yeild. same could be said if we reversed the situation and i was hydro master and BWC just found out today what perilite was ya know?

I grow hydro and my girl grows soil. honestly were pretty even on our results when it comes to cannabis as were both at about the same skill level respectively.

But now that i think about it i would give the edge to hydro and heres why.
with the exception of the Eurogrower behind me waiting on a few parts i have built my own hydro systems, i was trying to prove that you can do anything low $, low tech and no experience. nothing died and after reading all these great fourums i know they damn well should have.

i never even flushed out the res, the lights were wrong, the lighting cycle was wrong, no ventilation, to humid, to much nutes etc etc etc everthing that you could do wrong i did lololol. i still have no idea how those girls lived.

i think that if i was that kind o' dumb with soil they would have been dead in two weeks.

by the way when i get my camera back in a few days im gonna post a blog or thread on a DIY eurogrower maniold fix that stops all the leaks for under 20$

CHEERS!

When I first started growing years ago I started with a soilless mix. I progressed to hydro, I think its just too easy. Just add the nutes and pretty much that's all. I mean you do have to have a certain knowledge to get everything set up to run smooth. Most folks think of hydro as being a hardache due to having to deal with pH and all, but really...don't let that scare you. I mean if you are growing in soil in you can get into just as many bells and whistles as you progress. i.e. Start adding different combos of say phosphorous and different organic materials. As I look back though I would think a soilless mix is basicly hydro hence, thence :p you would need to incorporate the proper nute to the soilless mix.

hydro is really easy...really it is... start with something small ..4-6 plants ...if it scares you do something really simple like tomato plants.

yeah i said tomato plants ... why? because tomatoes are even more pissy than good girls with light and neut cycles. Also ..most people already know what a tomato plant is supposed to look like when healthy first hand because they are everywhere ...up close and personal.

if you can get a tomato bean to pop and last a month in a dro machine ... you can grow some happy girlz.

Oh ... provided you have an additional resevoir ... and its in circulation all you have to do is test that water for ph/neut ...and get 2 digital wall timers ...and also set your alarm on your phone 10 minutes before the lights are due to come on in your box/tent ...

just like a job. lol but fun!

oh yeah ... dont have your shit set to check when people are bound to show up ...

one of my best friends dumbass did just that ...so 3 weeks into flowering his new GF started coming over for supper ..and yeah.

I guess organic is more forgiving in ways like that ... but like any other gardening project ...hard work in = good stuff out.

The beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae) you mentioned...where might I come accross that ? And is MiricleGro potting soil a good base for White Widow ?
Pro-Mix has a soiless mix with Mycorrhizae already in it and works very well for plants. I add worm castings and have great results. You can also purchase it at most grow shops seperately and add it to whatever mix you may be using. Miricle Gro mixes are usually contain time released nutirents which are not recommended for indoor growing...:ganjamon:

:roorrip: so honestly it only boils down to space effectiveness and lazyness more or less of either is why u do what u do , i personly started hydro ended in soil. two medical card holder's in house{mom and i},have an all concrete four bedroom basement for our space, so in the end soil was easier and seeminly better, running hydrogen co2 generator{watercooled eliminates 86%of heat) with 13,000 btu ac/dehimidifer, 4 -1000 watt hps for lights in sunsystem reflectors, all vented by can fans, and flower room sealed with 6mill plastic and mylar. and we average 9 to 16 ounces a plant, have 16 strains going so like hawiian sativa will do 12 to 15 ounces at 5 ft were our dutch dragon does right around a pound, so i still do my starts in a ez cloner and run only 1000 watt lights, for me to finish what was originaly and 8 week strain does about 6.5wks with hydro gen and takes under 4 months from start to cut at five ft.! in the end its less head ache to do it soil if u have atomosphere advantage.

Hey I am new here. I had tried to write a msg to Roseman but I don't have enough post yet. So here it goes. I am very new, I don't know a thing except what I have been reading on here as I have time. I am wanting to do a DWC and am on a major tight budget. Anyone out there able to help me out with a detail list of what I need to start a efficient but economic set up. I am my wife's primary caregiver and don't have time to set on the computer searching for hours and certainly don't have time to run all over town looking for what might not work. I guess what I am asking is for a tried and tested set up for dummies...lol. Thanks so much to everyone for there help.

abetrain
reading420magazine:

Oh gee thanks guys, LOL! I had convinced myself that when I start growing, i was going to go hydro. Now i'm not so sure!

The information on this forum is gold! :ganjamon:

I have grown twice now with soil. reasonable success, this time around I am trying a dutch bucket system... this will be the first time I try indoors... I hope it all works!

Back
Top Bottom