I accidently pulled my 3 month old plant out of the soil!

1AndyShtew

420 Member
Newish grower. I accidentally pulled my 3-month-old plant (from a seed) out of the soil! Sheesh! I was replanting it in a bigger pot and somehow I pulled it right out! No soil! I can't believe it! I now have a dilemma and need some advice.

1. Do I replant it back into the soil and maybe dip it into my Rootmax hormone?

2. Do I dip the roots into the Rootmax and take a step backwards and pop it into a small block? This seems small to me and for how long? How long does shock last?

3. Do I cut off the top, dispose of the roots and splice the stalk and pretend it's a clone and start over?

I sort of would like to save the plant as I started with 8 (from seeds). I gave 4 away, 1 died (tragically) and 2 of the 3 I had left were male! Lol, I have dumped those as I have not seen anything else to do with them. So one little lonely plant after months of babying, what's a Canadian girl plant to do? I thought I was being so proactive starting so early and yet I clearly think I will be starting all over. Thanks in advance for any of your help!

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 4.31.11 PM.jpeg

Put it back into soil I would bury the steam down to the first set of leaf's the roots will grow off that long steam and make for a better plant.

If thats 3 months old, are you growing it on like your bathroom windowsill?
Whatever you do with it will need A LOT more light
Tbh, the goal was to start it inside and plant it outside in the spring. After May 24 in Canada, the frosts are generally over. It will take off once outside. I had only been planning to start them, so ya, mostly the windowsill at this point.

I was replanting it in a bigger pot and somehow I pulled it right out! No soil! I can't believe it!
No soil on the roots when you pulled it out is hard to believe. Most likely it has been growing slowly and for whatever reason the plant had no need to grow a massive root ball. Maybe a bit to much water so the roots did not grow like like they should have since the water and nutrients were right there.

Put it back into soil I would bury the steam down to the first set of leaf's the roots will grow off that long steam and make for a better plant.
If thats 3 months old, are you growing it on like your bathroom windowsill?
Whatever you do with it will need A LOT more light
Get it back into the pot you were planning on using when you tried to transplant it the other day. Bury up to the first set of leaves like CO Finest mentions. As Nunyabiz says, it is kinda small so help it grow a bit faster by getting it some more light.

Tbh, the goal was to start it inside and plant it outside in the spring. After May 24 in Canada, the frosts are generally over. It will take off once outside. I had only been planning to start them, so ya, mostly the windowsill at this point.
May 24? Certainly not as warm as southern Ontario, eh?;) That late in the season, so are your first frost dates in mid-Sept or early October? With a short season get it back on the window sill and get as much light on it as possible.

The plant should recover and in a month be ready for outside.

Update: I have it back in the soil and under a light. All the leaves have drooped and it looks pretty sad. I keep looking at it and talking to it. LOL. So still crossing my fingers. I have cut a few of the bottom leaves off as they are drying up and I figure it will take the pressure off the plant since I stressed it.

Newish grower. I accidentally pulled my 3-month-old plant (from a seed) out of the soil! Sheesh! I was replanting it in a bigger pot and somehow I pulled it right out! No soil! I can't believe it! I now have a dilemma and need some advice.

2. Do I dip the roots into the Rootmax and take a step backwards and pop it into a small block? This seems small to me and for how long? How long does shock last?

3. Do I cut off the top, dispose of the roots and splice the stalk and pretend it's a clone and start over?

I sort of would like to save the plant as I started with 8 (from seeds). I gave 4 away, 1 died (tragically) and 2 of the 3 I had left were male! Lol, I have dumped those as I have not seen anything else to do with them. So one little lonely plant after months of babying, what's a Canadian girl plant to do? I thought I was being so proactive starting so early and yet I clearly think I will be starting all over. Thanks in advance for any of your help!
Straight into some soil in a 6 inch or 8 inch pot..it will be fine..don't over water it ..if the soil is dry to your first knuckle then water it..it looks like it will make it..DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE WATER..put it in soil not too big a pot..the roots will form a healthier ball if you keep them in pots to suit the plant size..also place CFL lights closer to the plant ie 4 inches of leaves..its a bit straggly looking because its reaching for light..there's a proximity math rule called the "square of light" ...don't let the leaves touch the CFL or its death to the leaves in seconds..good luck hope she makes it!..no reason she shouldn't make it still has leaves and some secondary rootings.. tap looks ok.

keep her going if you can but I’d go ahead and get a lighting upgrade, then waterboard another bean. A cheap cfl bulb will get a seedling started but after a couple weeks you need to throw some real wattage at it so it grows and doesn’t stretch out like that.

don’t sweat it - just move forward
I grow all my plants with cfl bulbs..they work great! Less heat issues.

I sort of would like to save the plant as I started with 8 (from seeds). I gave 4 away, 1 died (tragically) and 2 of the 3 I had left were male! Lol, I have dumped those as I have not seen anything else to do with them. So one little lonely plant after months of babying, what's a Canadian girl plant to do? I thought I was being so proactive starting so early and yet I clearly think I will be starting all over. Thanks in advance for any of yo

you should also think about growing some more seeds but autos
being in Canada unless you are growing a fast Indica or in a heated green house
it will probably freeze before fully finishing
Autos are best put in the ground when young, so still have time

you should also think about growing some more seeds but autos
being in Canada unless you are growing a fast Indica or in a heated green house
it will probably freeze before fully finishing
Autos are best put in the ground when young, so still have time
I grow my best weed in winter at house temps..21C days / 17C at night..I grow purple kush, Bruce banner, grandaddy purps, dark angel, gelato..all love my temps..no freezing..put my plants outside?? Never!

Well, it's looking like shiite but I'm still holding on. I do have a proper light. I always have. I used it in the early days and as the sun has been getting stronger I moved it here in the window on nice days. Since the "accident" lol, I have moved it back to my light fixture and yes have it pretty close. Since I have a few experts here I have a question. When I first did my growth from seeds. They all worked and took off. Then I used the same technique again a little while ago and the seeds did not grow. My technique was to wrap them in thick folded paper towel so that they did not have a lot of light. Made them pretty wet and popped them in a zip lock bag for 8+ days. Since I have to start over I am second-guessing myself. I will check the forum to see if anyone else is doing something similar to me. @Thanks everyone for your help! It's really nice to have support from others.

My technique was to wrap them in thick folded paper towel so that they did not have a lot of light. Made them pretty wet and popped them in a zip lock bag for 8+ days.
Did you put them on constant heat also ,about 75-80 f should pop in about 4 days

Back
Top Bottom