Indoor RDWC Grow: Space Candy, Jack Herer, GG#5, Blackdog Phytomax 2 800, & Connoisseur

Thanks so much @Rexer! This community is amazing.

I just ordered a light from china for my next grow! I won't go into specifics on the details so I don't get into trouble with the forum, but it's a set of 10 light bars, totaling 1000 watts, full spectrum with both IR and UV. It will be really interesting to compare the results in my current setup which uses an 800 watt very expensive US made light ($1725) vs a Chinese made 1000w bar light ($1200 shipped).

I'm trying to decide on a proper setup for multiple tents. Currently I'm exhausting through a window that only has room for one 8" duct.
Here's what I'm considering:

Option A:
Connect the tents inline

Dust shroom->8" inline hurricane fan -> 4x4 tent #1 -> ducting covered with black panty hose on both sides -> 5x5 tent #2 -> 8" carbon filter -> 8" hurricane fan -> ducting to window

Pros:
* I don't need to buy anything
* Potentially save on heating costs by sharing a heater

Cons:
* potential light leak in between tents if they are on different cycles
* temps for flower room will be higher since the air will have already passed through the veg room
* potential for pest cross contamination between tents
* CO2 will be difficult

Option B:
Using Y connectors

Dust shroom Y to tent #1 & #2 Y to exhaust

Pros:
* Tents aren't connected directly each other so less cross contamination (though still possible if airflow is ever turned off
* Co2 won't be shared between tents

Cons:
* I have to buy Y connectors
* Lower airflow since it's being split 2 ways

Option C:
Separate intakes, Y for exhaust

Option D:
Install a second exhaust line by taking out the window or something

Eventually I would really like to add CO2, I already have the tank, I just need to get a good controller. If I do that I'm definitely going to have to keep the tents separate.

I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do for a growing setup.

1. soil/coco. since I'm making all this compost anyway, but I am terrified of getting bugs in the house, so I think it may not be worth it. I am totally jealous of how people growing in soil can just move their plants around easily
2. Another rdwc system. I'm thinking of diying this using cat litter containers like the one my gorilla grow is in. The plants seem to really prefer the slightly larger, square reservoir as opposed to the round 5gallons. Still need to determine whether I would make it undercurrent or top feed. If I'm doing DWC it has to be recirculating because having to do 4 reservoir changes per week is totally a bitch
3. Sluckets. These look pretty cool because they have the bottom drain/pump which will help prevent salt buildup at the bottom of the reservoirs. Only problem is their setup guides suggest I need larger than a 4x4 or 5x5 to fit everything. I don't want to commit extra room right now, but it would be cool if I could get the reservoir out of the tent. Slucket
4. The bucket company. This would be nice because it would allow me to use a heck of a lot less water. The system also is raised so it gets better drainage than my current 5 gallons.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

I just ordered a light from china for my next grow! I won't go into specifics on the details so I don't get into trouble with the forum, but it's a set of 10 light bars, totaling 1000 watts, full spectrum with both IR and UV. It will be really interesting to compare the results in my current setup which uses an 800 watt very expensive US made light ($1725) vs a Chinese made 1000w bar light ($1200 shipped).

I'm trying to decide on a proper setup for multiple tents. Currently I'm exhausting through a window that only has room for one 8" duct.

Option A:
Connect the tents inline

Dust shroom->8" inline hurricane fan -> 4x4 tent #1 -> ducting covered with black panty hose on both sides -> 5x5 tent #2 -> 8" carbon filter -> 8" hurricane fan -> ducting to window

Pros:

Cons:
* temps for flower room will be higher since the air will have already passed through the veg room
* CO2 will be difficult

Option B:
Using Y connectors

Pros:
* Tents aren't connected directly each other so less cross contamination (though still possible if airflow is ever turned off

Cons:

Option C:

Option D:

Eventually I would really like to add CO2, I already have the tank, I just need to get a good controller. If I do that I'm definitely going to have to keep the tents separate.

1. soil/coco. since I'm making all this compost anyway, but I am terrified of getting bugs in the house, so I think it may not be worth it. I am totally jealous of how people growing in soil can just move their plants around easily
2. Another rdwc system. I'm thinking of diying this using cat litter containers like the one my gorilla grow is in. The plants seem to really prefer the slightly larger, square reservoir as opposed to the round 5gallons. Probably use this ebay system as a guide. Recirculating Deep Water Culture (RDWC) Hydroponic Grow Kit System | eBay . Still need to determine whether I would make it undercurrent or top feed. If I'm doing DWC it has to be recirculating because having to do 4 reservoir changes per week is totally a bitch
3. Sluckets. These look pretty cool because they have the bottom drain/pump which will help prevent salt buildup at the bottom of the reservoirs. Only problem is their setup guides suggest I need larger than a 4x4 or 5x5 to fit everything. I don't want to commit extra room right now, but it would be cool if I could get the reservoir out of the tent. Slucket
4. The bucket company. This would be nice because it would allow me to use a heck of a lot less water. The system also is raised so it gets better drainage than my current 5 gallons.

Option C, but don't forget you can install backdraft dampners.

One con you've overlooked in a few is one hermie that goes unchecked has possibility of seeding multiple crops.

As for growing, I like the Bucket Company so far, I'm still in my first grow using them. I think their design offers multiple options, but since I just bought a set I'm biased.
You need to figure you for what you want for a style. RDWC is incredible and something that when tuned in is a beast. A great build design on the forum was done by member MultiVortex.
Each style has pros and cons and comes to a personal desicion, IMO.

How late into flower do you supercrop? Is 2.5 weeks too late?

Looks like the gorilla glue is really starting to bulk up. The Jack and candy queen have much more spindly stems and aren't growing as well, but I did another defol so hopefully that will get more light to the buds

Cheers
Now a fine time BassBuds! Will it be your first time?

Option A:
Connect the tents inline

Pros:

Cons:
* CO2 will be difficult

Option B:
Using Y connectors

Pros:

Cons:

Option C:

Option D:

2. Another rdwc system. I'm thinking of diying this using cat litter containers like the one my gorilla grow is in. The plants seem to really prefer the slightly larger, square reservoir as opposed to the round 5gallons. Probably use this ebay system as a guide. Recirculating Deep Water Culture (RDWC) Hydroponic Grow Kit System | eBay . Still need to determine whether I would make it undercurrent or top feed. If I'm doing DWC it has to be recirculating because having to do 4 reservoir changes per week is totally a bitch

The light sounds cool and possibly awesome! Good luck!
I run a 4 x 4 and a 3 x 3 tent separately. The 4 x 4 has a 6 in and the 3 x 3 a 3 in one. I wouldn't know about your situation. Sounds like you have it under control.
I grow in Living organic soil and love it that way. It's not for everyone though. Any of the choices are good.

Major lack of buds on the candy queen. Granted she was an immature plant compared to the others, but I am a bit disappointed. Gave them a heavy lollipopping and decor to get it to focus on bud development. We'll see if that helps

CQ with major lack of buds
IMG_20210424_092307.jpg

IMG_20210424_092258.jpg

IMG_20210424_092251.jpg

GG with buds that are plumping.
IMG_20210424_092234.jpg
IMG_20210424_092244.jpg

IMG_20210424_092504.jpg

IMG_20210424_092318.jpg

IMG_20210424_092315.jpg

IMG_20210424_092303.jpg

IMG_20210424_092255.jpg

Anyone have any advice regarding the candy queens? Will they ever amount to anything or should I cut my losses and let the other plants soak up that light?
I hate to say the obvious- there is only One sure way to know...grow them out.

That being said, I think it's a choice you'd have to make. A part of me cries when I see healthy plants culled lol so my opinion is biased

Week 4 of Flower. Candy queens just started to flower. I think they were just taking their time to get started since the seeds were started later than the other plants.

I also got a bit busy last week and didn't top off the water enough, nutrients got a bit outta whack. Anyway I just did the reservoir changes. I'm at about 900ppm now. Using terpinator, AN connoisseur bloom, big bud, and hydroguard.

Buds are starting to get bigger. I've been continuing to defoliate to get light further down the plant since the bottoms aren't getting much light.

I definitely scrogged wrong. I added the second screen to try to slow down the growth of the faster plant and let the other plants catch up. Next time, each tent is getting it's own strain.

Next projects im lining up:
2x 55 gallon drums to use as reservoirs. I've been manually filling up 5 gallon buckets one at a time with my ro system. It's a major pain in the ass. I'm going to set the system up to automatically top off using a float valve.
The second 55 gallon drum will serve as a mixing container to hold water mixed with nutrients. That will be connected to the dwc reservoirs via a float valve to automatically top off when the reservoir loses water.

I'm going to add spigots to both of the drums.

I also am considering how I want to set up my drainage system. I could potentially drain to waste, but I've been reusing the leftover nutrients for flowers and ferns outside. Currently, I've been using a wetvac, but that's a pain in the ass.

I also accidentally clipped the fan blade on my LED lighy when I was raising the light. Now it's rattling. Hopefully customer support will have a solution

IMG_20210430_100231.jpg
IMG_20210430_100223.jpg
IMG_20210430_100210.jpg
IMG_20210430_100158.jpg
IMG_20210430_100146.jpg
IMG_20210430_100140.jpg
IMG_20210430_100121.jpg
IMG_20210430_100113.jpg
IMG_20210430_100105.jpg
IMG_20210429_224249.jpg

I'm with @Rexer on tossing healthy plants. It always feels like snipping off a part of yourself.

At this stage in the game, if she isn't actively shading any of the other plants, I'd leave her in there to finish up. You never know, she could end up with the best buds of the bunch :thumb:

Week 4 of Flower. Candy queens just started to flower. I think they were just taking their time to get started since the seeds were started later than the other plants.

I also got a bit busy last week and didn't top off the water enough, nutrients got a bit outta whack. Anyway I just did the reservoir changes. I'm at about 900ppm now. Using terpinator, AN connoisseur bloom, big bud, and hydroguard.

Buds are starting to get bigger. I've been continuing to defoliate to get light further down the plant since the bottoms aren't getting much light.

I definitely scrogged wrong. I added the second screen to try to slow down the growth of the faster plant and let the other plants catch up. Next time, each tent is getting it's own strain.

Next projects im lining up:
2x 55 gallon drums to use as reservoirs. I've been manually filling up 5 gallon buckets one at a time with my ro system. It's a major pain in the ass. I'm going to set the system up to automatically top off using a float valve.
The second 55 gallon drum will serve as a mixing container to hold water mixed with nutrients. That will be connected to the dwc reservoirs via a float valve to automatically top off when the reservoir loses water.

I'm going to add spigots to both of the drums.

I also am considering how I want to set up my drainage system. I could potentially drain to waste, but I've been reusing the leftover nutrients for flowers and ferns outside. Currently, I've been using a wetvac, but that's a pain in the ass.
Sounds to me like a beautiful RDWC system. Return the nutes back to the reservoir unless your using coco coir IMO. In which case it wouldn't be hard to build a runoff catchment similar to the one I bought.

Girls look like they're happy and healthy and took those out of whack nutes like champs!

I'm seeing some sugar leaf cupping and worsening interveinal chlorosis (I think) indicating a manganese deficiency in the buds that are closest to the center of the grow area. Is this light/heat stress? Should I adjust or just keep doing what I'm doing
IMG_20210501_081112.jpg

I'm seeing some sugar leaf cupping and worsening interveinal chlorosis (I think) indicating a manganese deficiency in the buds that are closest to the center of the grow area. Is this light/heat stress? Should I adjust or just keep doing what I'm doing
IMG_20210501_081112.jpg
How close is your light? Ours grew right into the glass on our hps light and bleached pretty significantly. They are much lighter than that now, but yours are what mine looked like when it was starting. Those taco shell leaves are a dead give away as well. Got us a few of those also :p

The buds at the top we're about a foot from the light. A bit too close. I bumped that up to around 18". Space Candy has begun flowering.
IMG_20210502_093008.jpg
IMG_20210502_092959.jpg

Glad I waited before chopping. She's still rather immature and would have done better with a longer veg.

Buds are starting to fatten up and show trichomes

IMG_20210502_093329.jpg
IMG_20210502_093317.jpg
IMG_20210502_093143.jpg
IMG_20210502_093139.jpg
IMG_20210502_092344.jpg
IMG_20210502_092337.jpg
IMG_20210502_092323.jpg
IMG_20210502_092317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom