LKABudMan's Orange Grove - 4 Mimosa x Orange Punch In RDWC - Sponsored By VIVOSUN

Thanks @Bill284 @Grand Daddy Black @RedskinnedRhino for your sage advice. I really wanted to leave them in there until they turned into monster buds, but now I'm ready to move on.

I replaced 10g of nutes with water this morning. I'll continue to bring the PPMs down over the next week and see how they react. If I don't see any big changes, they'll come down next weekend.

I bought it for the pump feature, and the pump ended up working less than a year. That said, it's been a solid dehumidifier and keeps my entire basement down in the 40s.

I would buy it again, but I would definitely pay for the extended warranty. Especially for something that will be running 24/7/365.
How much did that cost you if you don’t mind me asking? Where zon?

I got mine from Walmart for about $250.

I already had a small one running that I emptied once a day. Maybe poured out a pint of water a day.
When I started reading about "how to determine what size de-humidifier you need", It said "How much water do you add daily?" then went on to say 97% of that missing water was put into the air by the plant and the remaining 3% stayed in the plant.
I am adding several gallons a day to each reservoir, so that's a lot more than my little rig is removing. I will top up this afternoon by filling gallon jugs and dumping into the res. so I know more exactly. I always just fill from a hose so I couldn't say exactly what I'm adding.
They are in late flowering and drinking as much as they ever will so I will know maximum water usage.
Good luck.

I already had a small one running that I emptied once a day. Maybe poured out a pint of water a day.
When I started reading about "how to determine what size de-humidifier you need", It said "How much water do you add daily?" then went on to say 97% of that missing water was put into the air by the plant and the remaining 3% stayed in the plant.
I am adding several gallons a day to each reservoir, so that's a lot more than my little rig is removing. I will top up this afternoon by filling gallon jugs and dumping into the res. so I know more exactly. I always just fill from a hose so I couldn't say exactly what I'm adding.
They are in late flowering and drinking as much as they ever will so I will know maximum water usage.
Good luck.
When I was running it without a drain I'd need to empty it morning and night. It takes a lot of water out of the air. You can remove some RH with your A/C as well, when it's running.

When I was running it without a drain I'd need to empty it morning and night. It takes a lot of water out of the air. You can remove some RH with your A/C as well, when it's running.
I do checks on the grow twice a day, morning and afternoon, so that will work well for me. And it shuts off if it gets full so that is good too in case I forget.
Yeah, my ACs probably take a lot out especially running in recirculation mode as they are just recycling the same air as opposed to bringing in fresh air. Also they won't vent out my CO2. The ACs aren't running as much now since the temps have dropped.

I'm finding about a 15-16 degree difference in the outside temps and my grow rooms right before lights on, when it should be at it's coolest. It takes a few hours of lights on to reach my temp ceiling, then the ACs compressor kicks on. They come on a few times an hour and just blow air if the compressor isn't needed.

I do checks on the grow twice a day, morning and afternoon, so that will work well for me. And it shuts off if it gets full so that is good too in case I forget.
Yeah, my ACs probably take a lot out especially running in recirculation mode as they are just recycling the same air as opposed to bringing in fresh air. Also they won't vent out my CO2. The ACs aren't running as much now since the temps have dropped.

I'm finding about a 15-16 degree difference in the outside temps and my grow rooms right before lights on, when it should be at it's coolest. It takes a few hours of lights on to reach my temp ceiling, then the ACs compressor kicks on. They come on a few times an hour and just blow air if the compressor isn't needed.
Just did my daily top up on the reservoirs. They each needed about 1.9 gallons. So according to the method of calculation I used yesterday.
1.9gal times two equals 3.8gal
3.8 gal times 8 pints/gal equals 30.4 pints
30.4 pints x 97% equals 29.5 pints of water in the air per day from the plants.

So the new De-humidifier should do the job for me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

oops, forgot,

LK, I wanted to ask you for a brief description of your IPM, its elements/deployment etc., if possible.

You seem conscientious and organized. Also, you've had spider mites as I recall. These three are my prerequisites for anyone before I will seriously ask about their IPM.

I wouldn't wish mites on anybody, but don't see anything wrong with gaining from something that cost you, provided that, a) I didn't cause your losses or b) gloat over your misfortune.

OK, know what? When I say, I don't wish spider mites on, "anybody" that's anybody who isn't the Orange God-King, a dictator, or someone who hurts children. Those douches can all get infested in perpetuity, IMO.

oops, forgot,

LK, I wanted to ask you for a brief description of your IPM, its elements/deployment etc., if possible.
My IPM is that I treat my basement/grow tents like a clean room. My basement has bug traps all around the floor and corners, and I change them monthly. I also use Diatomaceous Earth around the tents, and sweep it into the concrete floor at least once a month. This keeps the bugs in check in the basement. The dehumidifier helps keep the bugs/spiders down as well.
You seem conscientious and organized. Also, you've had spider mites as I recall. These three are my prerequisites for anyone before I will seriously ask about their IPM.
So the only way I can get bugs is if they come in with me. This is what got me in trouble with my last grow, where I accidentally introduced spider mites in the 6th week of flower. I'm pretty sure they were on my shirt when I checked on them, and were transferred to the plants in the very front of the tent. Luckily, I noticed them pretty early before they spread everywhere. I sprayed/doused everything in SNS-217C four times in a week, then added a couple of dozen ladybugs every night for the rest of the grow. I also used SNS-209 on the rest of the grows I had going on at the time as a preventative. At chop time, we did not find any webs at all. The bud was washed and is currently being smoked, and it turned out great.
I wouldn't wish mites on anybody, but don't see anything wrong with gaining from something that cost you, provided that, a) I didn't cause your losses or b) gloat over your misfortune.
For my latest grow, I haven't used anything on the plants. If I've been out I'll take a shower before going to check on the plants, and I NEVER wear outside clothes in the basement. It would probably be harder if I wasn't a hermit anyways ;)
OK, know what? When I say, I don't wish spider mites on, "anybody" that's anybody who isn't the Orange God-King, a dictator, or someone who hurts children. Those douches can all get infested in perpetuity, IMO.
I knew you were good people ;)
hey lk, waaazzzaaaap?
Thanks for checking in. Been busy with Pebbles in the other tent and work finally started picking up. That, and I haven't had much to report from this tent. Well, until today...

Date: 10/12/22 - Day# 59 of Flower (W8D4)
Strain - Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch photo clones x 4
Grow space - VIVOSUN 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - VIVOSUN VSF6450 645w LED @ 80% 14 Inches away - 55k LUX
Extraction - 6" extraction fan
3x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Nutrients - Advanced Nutrients Flawless Finish, Hydroguard, z7, Epsom
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Weekly Temperatures

Fall is here in Virginia :) We've had a couple of cold nights and I'm trying to take advantage of that. I go down to the basement in the mornings and evenings and open the one window. It cools it down pretty well without messing with the humidity too much. The tent is staying under 52% humidity as these ladies finish up.

Last weekend I drained the res and filled it with pH'ed well water + AN Flawless Finish. These ladies are still drinking but are definitely slowing down. I'm not adding anything to the res except the occasional bowl of ice. They are 6g down now and the tops of the roots are exposed more than they have ever been.

Sorry for the long post but I haven't had a chance to catch up here in a week. The past week has all been preparing for harvest this weekend. I figured we could get a jump start on the harvest by getting rid of the big fan leaves. So my defoliation crew (me, my wife, & my son) got to work last night. We couldn't get the middle of the tent without touching the buds, so we just got what we could reach. You can really see the purple now in contrast to the light green below.

Before Defoliation

After Defoliation

As you may notice, the main colas didn't fill in the way I expected. They're really long but the buds at the end didn't get very big at all. All of the little buds along those 16-18" stems are rock hard, though.

Interestingly enough, some of the lower colas in the corner are much bigger & fatter than the main colas. Look at these colas that are lower in the corners compare to a main cola.

I'm not sure what that means, though. Did the main buds just stretch a lot more than they could fill? Did the top buds get too much light/heat? Or did I just pick the wrong strain to try no-larf? I'm keeping the mother (Linda II) around and I think I'll try growing this again under the 100w AeroLight.

Everything is coated in trics. Not just the buds, but the fan leaves as well. I'm not sure I've seen fan leaves like this before. Both the front and back of the leaves are covered in a coat of long sticky trics. I put 2 gallon bags of trim in the freezer, and there will be plenty more this weekend. I'll be picking up some dry ice in the next couple of weekends.

And of course a few tric pictures. The first couple are from a fan leaf and stem. The rest are from a tester bud that was accidentally chopped.

I'm really looking forward to getting this grow dried and cured. I've had a few tester buds, and the flavor is incredible. It's very citrusy, almost like a lemon head candy. And it hits really nice. Where have I been getting tester buds? Why, from the bud growing up out of the hydroton at the base of the stem, of course ;)

First, though, the harvest this weekend. I'll turn off the lights in the tent for good tomorrow night and let them sit for 24-36 hours before harvest. The drying closet is 56f and ready for some bud. I've decided to skip the wash this time. My reasons:

1. The tent was thoroughly cleaned after the last grow.
2. The tent has carbon fiber filters on all intakes.
3. I've rarely opened the tent in flower.
4. They were grown in DWC with no soil, dirt, etc.
5. I haven't had to treat or spray them at all - no bugs :)

You can see how much dust and dirt the carbon fiber filters catch. They're vacuumed every month.

I've washed all of my previous grows. One of the reasons is that I've heard the washing helps even out the cure. I'm going to try this harvest without washing and see if I can tell any difference. That also makes it easier to spread out the harvest a bit. We'll start Friday night and go through the weekend until we're done.

I'll post pictures of the harvest this weekend. Enjoy the rest of your week and stay medicated, everyone!

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Date: 10/12/22 - Day# 59 of Flower (W8D4)
Strain - Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch photo clones x 4
Grow space - VIVOSUN 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - VIVOSUN VSF6450 645w LED @ 80% 14 Inches away - 55k LUX
Extraction - 6" extraction fan
3x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Nutrients - Advanced Nutrients Flawless Finish, Hydroguard, z7, Epsom
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Weekly Temperatures

Fall is here in Virginia :) We've had a couple of cold nights and I'm trying to take advantage of that. I go down to the basement in the mornings and evenings and open the one window. It cools it down pretty well without messing with the humidity too much. The tent is staying under 52% humidity as these ladies finish up.

Last weekend I drained the res and filled it with pH'ed well water + AN Flawless Finish. These ladies are still drinking but are definitely slowing down. I'm not adding anything to the res except the occasional bowl of ice. They are 6g down now and the tops of the roots are exposed more than they have ever been.

Sorry for the long post but I haven't had a chance to catch up here in a week. The past week has all been preparing for harvest this weekend. I figured we could get a jump start on the harvest by getting rid of the big fan leaves. So my defoliation crew (me, my wife, & my son) got to work last night. We couldn't get the middle of the tent without touching the buds, so we just got what we could reach. You can really see the purple now in contrast to the light green below.

Before Defoliation

After Defoliation

As you may notice, the main colas didn't fill in the way I expected. They're really long but the buds at the end didn't get very big at all. All of the little buds along those 16-18" stems are rock hard, though.

Interestingly enough, some of the lower colas in the corner are much bigger & fatter than the main colas. Look at these colas that are lower in the corners compare to a main cola.

I'm not sure what that means, though. Did the main buds just stretch a lot more than they could fill? Did the top buds get too much light/heat? Or did I just pick the wrong strain to try no-larf? I'm keeping the mother (Linda II) around and I think I'll try growing this again under the 100w AeroLight.

Everything is coated in trics. Not just the buds, but the fan leaves as well. I'm not sure I've seen fan leaves like this before. Both the front and back of the leaves are covered in a coat of long sticky trics. I put 2 gallon bags of trim in the freezer, and there will be plenty more this weekend. I'll be picking up some dry ice in the next couple of weekends.

And of course a few tric pictures. The first couple are from a fan leaf and stem. The rest are from a tester bud that was accidentally chopped.

I'm really looking forward to getting this grow dried and cured. I've had a few tester buds, and the flavor is incredible. It's very citrusy, almost like a lemon head candy. And it hits really nice. Where have I been getting tester buds? Why, from the bud growing up out of the hydroton at the base of the stem, of course ;)

First, though, the harvest this weekend. I'll turn off the lights in the tent for good tomorrow night and let them sit for 24-36 hours before harvest. The drying closet is 56f and ready for some bud. I've decided to skip the wash this time. My reasons:

1. The tent was thoroughly cleaned after the last grow.
2. The tent has carbon fiber filters on all intakes.
3. I've rarely opened the tent in flower.
4. They were grown in DWC with no soil, dirt, etc.
5. I haven't had to treat or spray them at all - no bugs :)

You can see how much dust and dirt the carbon fiber filters catch. They're vacuumed every month.

I've washed all of my previous grows. One of the reasons is that I've heard the washing helps even out the cure. I'm going to try this harvest without washing and see if I can tell any difference. That also makes it easier to spread out the harvest a bit. We'll start Friday night and go through the weekend until we're done.

I'll post pictures of the harvest this weekend. Enjoy the rest of your week and stay medicated, everyone!

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow
Colors are terrific.
And those trics WoW.
They are all over everything, incredible.
Congratulations on your upcoming harvest.
I'd like to bud wash but not sure I'll have time.
We will see.
Take care my friend. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Colors are terrific.
And those trics WoW.
They are all over everything, incredible.
Congratulations on your upcoming harvest.
I'd like to bud wash but not sure I'll have time.
We will see.
Take care my friend. :ciao:

Stay safe
Thanks Bill. I really wanted some monster colas on this grow. I'm not disappointed with what I ended up with at all, though. There is a lot of bud in there and it's as hard as a rock. BTW, do those trics look unusually long to you?

I get some of the biggest in the periphery too. Don't know why. They look great.
Thanks man. I'm looking forward to the next grow, it'll be interested to see the difference using the VSF6450 for the entire grow.

Thanks Bill. I really wanted some monster colas on this grow. I'm not disappointed with what I ended up with at all, though. There is a lot of bud in there and it's as hard as a rock. BTW, do those trics look unusually long to you?
Unusually long and over abundant.
I thought maybe it was just because of the close ups.
But they are about 25 % longer than usual.
And ridiculously abundant.
Come on the fans are just thick with trics, that's crazy.
Did you use anything different in this grow?
Hope everything is going well my friend. :ciao:
Take care.

Stay safe

Unusually long and over abundant.
I thought maybe it was just because of the close ups.
But they are about 25 % longer than usual.
And ridiculously abundant.
Come on the fans are just thick with trics, that's crazy.
Did you use anything different in this grow?
I do something different every grow ;) This was the first grow with the Vivosun VSF6450 and they seemed to frost early and stay frosty the whole time.
Hope everything is going well my friend. :ciao:
Take care.

Stay safe
I just went down and unplugged the light in the tent. We'll start harvesting Friday night and go through Saturday. My other kids are coming over for my B-day weekend, so I'm excited for the weekend!

Hope you're taking it easy up there in the greenhouse, that's a lot of work in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom