They are looking really healthy. Once they reach a certain level of growth, it seems that healthy pruning only seems to make them bigger and thicker, huh.
Thanks GW, and I agree. I think maintaining those big fans and all that larf underneath takes a lot of energy from the plant. Get rid of it and she can put all her energy into the new nodes.
I am again noticing some of my best looking buds are happening on the periphery, instead of the middle. It seems like they should be in the middle directly under the light. I wonder why?
Do you measure DLI? My understanding is that DLI & PPM have to be in balance for healthy plants, and it sounds like your periphery is liking the balance better than the middle. Is the middle getting too much light or not enough nutrients, or are they the same thing? Of course, added CO2 allows for greater numbers, but I would think everything still needs to stay in balance. Then again, let me get through a grow without foxtails & nanners before giving too much advice ;)

Excellent clean up on aisle 3! Your staff definitely has the right idea. :)
Thanks Shed. I'm still plucking and cleaning as I spread them out this week. Not much longer and it will be time to flip.

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Featuring the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System and the VSF6450
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Welcome to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSF6450 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: ** Early Flower Mode **
  • Light - Vivosun VSF6450
    • 20:00-08:00 OFF
    • 08:00-20:00 Spectrum:Flowering, Intensity:100%, Simulate Sunrise/Sunset (40 DLI)
  • Circulation - Vivosun AeroWave E6
    • 00:00-24:00 Natural Breeze Oscillating
  • Exhaust - Vivosun 6" AeroZesh
    • 20:00-08:00 60% RH, Speed 5, Default off
    • 08:00-20:00 High 85F / 69% RH, Speed 8, Default off
Other Equipment:
- Vivosun 13" Air Circulator oscillating horizontally on speed# 1
- Vivosun AeroWave A6 on low oscillating

Date: 5/24/23 Day# 35
Strains: Banana Pudding (BP), Mango Mousse (MM), Apply Betty (AB), Forbidden Fruit (FF)
Nutrients: Stout MSA, Megacrop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7

I'm still spreading these girls out under the scrog net daily, just pulling everything to the outside. This week I've been plucking a handful of leaves at the same time. I'm focusing on the inside and underneath, still pinching suckers as well as any big old fans. Especially in RDWC, these girls have plenty of energy without those 'shade' leaves. They seem to respond better to constant plucking than mass defoliations, so I'll keep plucking a little at a time.

Today I noticed that the back two plants (MM & AB) have joined together, and even crossed a little. AB is still taking up the most space, and BP is right behind her. Both of them are on the right side of the tent, though, where there's more space to fill. MM & RR on the left side are finally starting to stretch out as well. All of the plants are within a square of filling their space.

That means it's time to flip to 12/12. They'll have 7-14 days of transition to finish filling the net. Looking back at them from a week ago, I have no doubt they'll finish filling the net in that time.

I've been increasing their feed and they're up to 850 ppm (1.7 EC). I'll keep bringing them up to 1000 ppm (2 EC) over the next week. When they start flower, I'll switch over to @Prescription Blend which is right around 2 EC as well. They're starting to drink a lot more now.

Tonight they'll start the Dessert Grow Flower recipe in early flower. Soon everyone will have their party hats on!

#VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Do you measure DLI? My understanding is that DLI & PPM have to be in balance for healthy plants, and it sounds like your periphery is liking the balance better than the middle. Is the middle getting too much light or not enough nutrients, or are they the same thing? Of course, added CO2 allows for greater numbers, but I would think everything still needs to stay in balance. Then again, let me get through a grow without foxtails & nanners before giving too much advice ;)
No, I don't measure either.
I noticed this in grows using both hps lights and the current leds. I ran the hids as close as the canopy dimensions allowed. I probably have been running the LEDs closer to the recommended heights for my 4x4, but have run out room to raise the light. I am currently at max height in both rooms. The Acapulco Gold is still pretty far away but the Fuel D.OG is not as far away as recommended. I am running both lights at less than maximum power and am still seeing some awfully nice buds on the periphery. Not complaining, just curious.

The word that comes to mind looking at your tent is "clean". :cheesygrinsmiley:

The word that comes to mind looking at your tent is "clean". :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks GW. The old 4x4 had the grate in back, it was functional but ugly. When I put everything in the new 5x5 I was really going for a clean look, taking care to run all of the cords where they wouldn't be seen much. After all, the plants should be the focus ;)

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Welcome to the Vivosun Bud Factory, a Vivosun 5x5 (60x60x80) advanced grey tent equipped with a custom Vivosun Smart Grow System (SGS) with a Vivosun VSF6450 and a 45g 4-site RDWC system.

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: ** Early Flower Mode **
    • 08:00-20:00 Spectrum:Flowering, Intensity:100%, Simulate Sunrise/Sunset (40 DLI)
    • 00:00-24:00 Natural Breeze Oscillating
    • 20:00-08:00 60% RH, Speed 5, Default off
    • 08:00-20:00 High 85F / 69% RH, Speed 8, Default off
Other Equipment:

Date: 5/31/23 Day# 42
Strains: Banana Pudding (BP), Mango Mousse (MM), Apply Betty (AB), Forbidden Fruit (FF)
Nutrients: Stout MSA, Megacrop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7
Medium: 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)

It's been a week since I flipped these girls to 12/12 and they're still in transition. I'm still pulling all of the branches to the outside under the net. If they hit the middle or a side then I start pulling them anywhere there's net to fill. I also remove a handful of big fans from each plant daily. I really don't want to let them get too overgrown, so I just pluck as I tuck.

It's interesting how different plants scrog. AB (back-right) is a natural scrogger, naturally growing more horizontally. She has limber stems and large internodal spacing, which allows her to grow out quickly. She's hit both sides of the tent and will end up taking up 1/3 of this 5x5 tent.

BP (front-right) just wants to grow huge fan leaves. She's doing a fine job of putting on length and filing her net. The other two (MM (back-left) & FF (front-left)) are still very tight plants with short internodal spacing. They have a lot of buds, but not a lot of length on the plants. They have thicker stems that push up into the net, and they're harder to pull to the side.

One easy way to see the difference is in the scrog net. The net is flat above AB and pushed up above everyone else.
A couple of inches isn't going to matter, though. In another week they'll be in flower and ready to start stretching. Then it really gets interesting!

Wow. You're convincing me to see what Apple Betty will do on my scrog with a few of her sisters next year :hmmmm: . Your grow looks right on track.
When the smoke and rosin report comes out, I'll know for sure if want a whole screen of it.:cheesygrinsmiley::bong:

Wow. You're convincing me to see what Apple Betty will do on my scrog with a few of her sisters next year :hmmmm: . Your grow looks right on track.
When the smoke and rosin report comes out, I'll know for sure if want a whole screen of it.:cheesygrinsmiley::bong:
AB is the perfect scrogger, very limber and easy to manipulate. I could see filling a 5x5 with one plant, given enough root space ;) I hear you about the smoke report, although I've heard good things from @Bill284

His grow was the first I heard of the strain. He had a monster too. @Bill284 I can see 2,3, or 4 of those producing a mass of flowers on a scrog. I would be looking for photo seed. @Chuckeye had one finish like a long flowering tropical sativa. That would cause some concern if the other phenos were fast finishers.

The Vivosun Bud Factory
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

Vivosun Smart Grow System settings: ** Mid Flower Mode **
    • 00:00-24:00 Speed 10 oscillating
    • 20:00-08:00 56% RH, Speed 6, Default off
    • 08:00-20:00 High 82F / 64% RH, Speed 8, Default speed 1
Other Equipment:

Date: 6/6/23 Day# 48 (Flower Day# 1)
Nutrients: Prescription Blend Week#1 Flower, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7
Medium: 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)

Screenshot_20230606_112833.jpg

The @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System is keeping the VPD right around 1.1. With the AeroZesh running constantly now to keep the RH down, the temperatures in the tent have come down to under 80F. I've switched to mid-flower mode, which drops the RH down a few points to raise the VPD to 1.2 with the new temperatures.

Sunday I changed the RDWC res for the first time this grow. It had been almost 7 weeks on the same res, adding MC and bennies to bring it up to 2EC. The res looked surprisingly clean, probably because I add Hydroguard and z7 (an enzymatic cleaner) every week.

I rinsed all the buckets with the hose as best I can and completely drained the system, even using the shop-vac to get the bottom of the buckets. Then I refilled it with fresh well water, which is about 60f. I added about 2.5G of freshly boiled water to bring the res temp up to around 69 so the roots weren't shocked.

I'm using @Prescription Blend nutrients for flower this grow. I'm very sad to hear that they are no longer in business. I used them last RDWC grow and was very impressed, they grew very healthy plants and impressive buds. I just stick to their schedule 100%, no additives needed. It's a little 'dirty', on res changes I have to rinse the system. I think it's the KelpFull. It's worth it for the growth I've seen in the past, though. I'm really hoping that all of these ladies will be good with the PB.

I know my water has some carbonates that need to be countered with pH down. So I mixed up 2L of water with 15ml pH down, which is what I will usually need for 45G of water. I put a little more than half in the first day until the res measured 5.8. The first night, it always rises a little, and sure enough it was up to 6.3 the next day. I put the rest of the pH down solution in the next morning, and I'll monitor it going forward.
Dessert Mix RDWC Tracker 20230606.png
These girls have done an impressive job of filling out the net. There are still some spots on the edges and corners that are empty, but not much. I've been trying to keep them trimmed up as much as possible, too, but that's a losing battle. They grow so quickly. I'll continue plucking leaves throughout the stretch, and then clean them up really well after they are done stretching.

As I was plucking big fans from FF, I came across this leaf with another small leaf growing out of it.

After 13 days of transition, I'm calling today day# 1 of flower.

Apple Betty (AB) needs a trim underneath badly. She grew horizontally, so most of her lower limbs are still growing under the net. She's full of buds up top, though, and already stretching hard.

Banana Pudding (BP) is pretty ugly right now, looking like a bunch of big fan leaves. I pluck them and the next day she's full of them again. It's hard to even see any buds under there. I'm hoping she stretches out of this in the next couple of days.

Forbidden Fruit (FF) is a really prety little plant. She's very compact but filled with buds. She's the one with a leaf-in-a-leaf. She looks a bit lighter-colored than the rest, but she always has so I'm just going to say it's the strain.

Mango Mousse (MM) is pretty compact as well, though not quite as much as FF. Back in the corner, she's getting crowded out on the edges by AB. She's healthy, though, and just starting to stretch a little.

With all of them showing little flowers, I'm finished spreading them out under the first net. I'll install a second net this week, about 12" above the first (I'll raise as needed). I'll use the second net to spread the flowers out and try to keep them from getting too tall (looking at you AB). It will also support the buds later in flower.

I'll supercrop/LST the tall buds to the first net when needed. You can already see the differences in these four ladies, so I think this stretch is going to get interesting. The @VIVOSUN VSF6450 is already at 100%, though, so all they need to do is keep reaching for the light.

There will be "no room at the Inn" again! :green_heart:

They'll be spilling out of the tent door any day now! Also, somehow that back corner always seems to get crowded in. :)

This looked like some other plant growing up from underneath with those crazy big fans sticking out:
1686706744408.png
Like I said, Banana Pudding is an ugly plant. Lots of huge fan leaves, and you can barely see the buds. Ugly now, though, doesn't mean much...

Back
Top Bottom