Introducing myself with my first indoor grow

BTzGrow

Hi everyone, BTz for Southern California, San Diego to be exact. I've started my first indoor grow at the beginning of December 17. I started with a Gorilla Grow Lite 2x2.5 5'7" tent and initially a 2' 2bulb T5 light. I have an inline blower and a 4" x 12" Carbon Filter mounted on a board that I'm going to extract air from the top of the tent with, once in flower stage. My biggest issue at this point seems to be temperature. I'm considering getting a small enclosed 100W Reptile heater element to place at the bottom of the tent.

I started with 6 Skywalker OG seeds a friend gave, so no guarantee they really are Skywalker OG. This particular strain should be Indica which I prefer. I started with 6 seeds and 5 failed after germination while in CoCo. The 6th I was able to keep alive and by a month was able to transplant into a 6" pot. Three weeks after that on Jan 18th I found little root fingers poking out the bottom hole and knew it was time to take it up to my final 5gal Root Pouch size. Good thing as the roots were all over the bottom of the soil in the 6in pot.

The T5 has been a reasonable light, but cheap wasn't the way to go. I really feel I paid the penalty of a slow first month and half with it. I recently upgraded to Black Diamond Perfect Sun Mini. I have been working over the numbers to build my own DIY 4 bulb COB with CREE bulbs but best price was in the $275plus range. My brother "FelipeBlu" and I had been really grinding up the spec's until he shared the Perfect Sun product with me. Ordered and received in less than a week free shipping and no tax from Oregon.

Borrowed a Quantum PAR meter from my local SD Hydro shop,(they are so awesome there) and the readings I got are very positive. I'm considering posting a thread just on the Perfect Sun as I really feel the quality is really nice considering the price point. I will also share the PAR readings in another post if anyone is interest.

I have been on a watering schedule per FelipeBlu suggestion of letting the soil get rather dry and light, so far it seems to have really encouraged rapid root growth. After the most recent transplant I really feel that root growth has been a huge benefit. She is really taking off. Today I placed a double layer of nylon 3.5" netting across the top of the plant at a height of 20". Will consider placing another layer if needed just at the time of switch over to flowering, height TBD at that time.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences here and learning lots from this community. Thanks

IMG_243131.jpg
IMG_247337.jpg
P_20170119_110303.jpg
IMG_250229.jpg
IMG_250425.jpg
IMG_250318.jpg

Welcome to 420 Bro! Load the vape and relax a while.

There are lots of excellent growers here. Some of the ‘old-timers’ that I know about are Pennywise, TheMaddabber, The Rooster, and EastCoastGhost. I think the easiest way to start making friends is to check the current journals in progress, find one or two that interest you, and ‘like’ some posts. If you start a journal (and you should), put a link to it in your sig. Then people will check it out and ‘like’ your posts. And so it goes.

Your little lady is looking awesome! She’s really filled out since you topped.

Subbed for the ride, nice setup you have, I'm gonna be ordering a PS COB in 2 weeks and I can't wait to get it lol. I'm also subbed to your brothers journal, he's a great guy by the way. That new light should give you alot better growth rate and a great yield in the end of top shelf buds. Good luck...️

I was going to sub until I got the snub (from your brother. Really? No shout to Shed?). Oh well, here I am anyway and glad to hear you swapped out your T5s. That was going to be my first suggestion :).

You should post your nutrient line and watering schedule so the coco clan can give you any advice on that. I'm a soil guy so I'd be useless there. I can tell you to keep an eye on the Nitrogen as I'm seeing the start of some clawing at the leaf tips. Down is never the direction they should be heading.

Greetings from two hours north and pretty plant!

Oh crap! I thought I had covered my ass by "some" and "old-timers". Certainly no snub was intended. :sorry: :passitleft: Actually, I could say I was saving you for a special introduction...

Bro, I'd like to introduce InTheShed. Shed was my inspiration when I was growing the "blueberry", since he was growing auto blueberries too. I consider him a buddy here because we do go back and forth a lot. However, I didn't really think of Shed as an old-timer since he's in his first grow year too. But he's a great guy, and has good chops.

Oh crap! I thought I had covered my ass by “some” and “old-timers”. Certainly no snub was intended. :sorry: :passitleft:
Bro, I’d like to introduce InTheShed. Shed was my inspiration when I was growing the “blueberry”, since he was growing auto blueberries too. I consider him a buddy here because we do go back and forth a lot. However, I didn’t really think of Shed as an old-timer since he’s in his first grow year too. But he’s a great guy, and has good chops.

9 months, three grows, 5 plants, 420 (!) grams. I'm ok :)

Oh, and Bro, Shed was nominated for January Member of the Month, and he’s currently leading, at over 30% of the vote (ATM).

Yeah, he may not be an “old-timer”, but he’s a great grower, and an outstanding asset to the 420 community.

Now, back to you, bro. Any updates?

Thanks and shout out to InTheShed, don't want to get on the bad side. I'm actually a soil guy and haven't started adding any nutrients yet other that a product my SD Hydro Shop makes and gives out freely twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Their recommendation is to feed once a week diluted 50/50 with water until the plant is really going strong. For soil I'm using Fox Farm soil to start and not knowing much about soil and nutrients I'm pretty happy in the moment at 7 weeks.

No bad sides, we're all here to help each other out! I'm a soil guy too, and I am a bit worried about the downward curl of some of the leaf tips. If you're using Fox Farms Ocean Forest (seen as FFOF here), that runs hot with nutes already and includes nitrogen. We had to solve an N toxicity problem for Moonshine17 who grew in FFOF, so I'd keep an eye on that.

We tend to know exactly what is in our nutes on this site, so if you could at least find out what you are feeding them (and the NPK numbers) that would be helpful when the growers chime in with helpful hints. Ignorance is bliss until things go sideways and then we're stuck without enough info to really be helpful.

Actually, I'm using a new product by Fox Farms called Mother Earth. It's supposed to be similar to Ocean Forest but organic I think. It's so new it's not on their web site product list. I bought a small bag of Ocean Forest to start with, but my local shop SDHydro gave me a 1.5 bag of this new Mother Earth for free as a sample. Free is always good!!! I'm also using water at around 6.7pH.

You mentioned that Moonshine17 had an issue with Nute Burn??? Do you or can you locate the solutions? It appears that I might be having a similar issue.
IMG_251525.jpg
IMG_251425.jpg
IMG_251128.jpg
What do you think. I also posted these in my "Do I have a problem" post in the Problems section of the forum.

You should save this for future reference:

1661119577124.png

Moon's problem was excess Nitrogen (leaf tips clawing down at the tip) from his nutes the hot FFOF soil. Yours looks like calcium deficiency at a quick glance. Under LEDs most growers add cal/mag as they say LED plants need more than those grown under different lighting. One more reason to know exactly what we are feeding our plants.

Most growers add cal/mag to any grow come to think of it!

The first time I discovered this issue my local shop SDHydro suggested it might be a CalMag issue. Funny it only seems to be happening on the Fan/Sugar leaves??? I'm guessing I need to pick up a bottle of CalMag and add to my water mix before I water next. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom