Iron Chef Challenge

Which strain will be the "secret ingredient"?

• Pineapple Express (PG)

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Super Lemon Haze (PG)

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Lucy, aka Senorita El Esdee (OMM)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Frisian Dew (OMM)

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Strawberry Cough (TS)

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Blueberry (TS)

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
It would be preferred if you guys used one of our Sponsors. :thanks:
We will if we are able to get the strain from them. I know we're both using sponsor's lights (Advanced LEDs and GSL). We always try to use sponsors when it's an option!

I don't want to run afoul of the guidelines as far as talking about seeds, but I just picked up some Dutch Passion Blueberry through one of the site's sponsors...

I voted for Blueberry (no surprise, maybe, since it was one of my picks, lol, but I was interested to see the others and didn't make my mind up until I did a little snooping about all six choices). I've read that it can be challenging for some people; you won't have any trouble of course, but it might help a new grower to follow along. It's also one of those strains that isn't a super-high yielder and therefore the grower's ability can make a world of difference. And it's nice to have a few jars of it cured, lol.

If this were an outdoor grow, I would have voted for Frisian Dew.

16 square feet and NO lighting restrictions? Add a no monetary restriction and no electrical restriction and this could get crazy... A couple of 1500-watt sulfur plasma fixtures - perhaps in a vertical setup if that's possible with SP lamps - or an industrial 2500-watt HPS overhead in a custom-designed water-cooled fixture (better add a no height restriction as well, along with big CO2) and... Hey, this cold medicine isn't doing anything for my cold but it's making me kind of goofy, huh?

I would suggest that six weeks for the vegetative period would be better than four. If it is not vital that both grows finish at the same time, maybe agree that the grower may at his option initiate flowering before the end of the sixth week - and as you've already stated, no bonus for finishing early. Although a shorter overall grow will be of interest to some, many either run perpetual grows or start seedlings/clones beforehand so I don't see saving a week (or two or three) as being especially important. Besides, the goal is to see what you can do with a strain and that means getting the most out of it that you can (not necessarily talking about yield alone but plant development, maturity, health, et cetera).

And speaking of time, I'd strongly suggest that you measure the length of the stretch period (first 40% of the flowering period) and use that to set your harvest time. With trichome observation at the end if you like for a final judge. Breeder and seedbank descriptions of flowering times have been known to be "optimistic" upon occasion. Also, you might run into multiple phenotypes and the luck of the draw might stack the deck in favor of one and against the other of you... It's one thing if someone's seed doesn't germinate; sucks but it's not real likely and since it happens - or fails to happen, I guess - at the beginning, one can make up for it somewhat; but if you've got an iron-clad deadline and three or four of your plants just aren't ready while your competition got lucky with three, four, or even five of an early-finishing phenotype then you're screwed even if you are the better grower and your plants are in great shape.

Either way, I'm looking forward to following along and wish you both the best of luck!

[EDIT: Forgot to mention, the breeder of choice for my Blueberry suggestion would be DJ Short. It would be nice if you could acquire the pre-'99 sativa phenotype, but that's probably not going to happen, lol.]

You got a favorite Steve?
I haven't grown any of these strains before, the closest would be the Pineapple Chunk I had last round. I do have a Lucy seedling going for a future mom. I have heard great things about the PE and I am very interested in the Lemon Haze, and I had tried to buy the Frisian Dew last year but they were sold out. I think any of the choices is going to be great, we have the top choices from our top members to work with--they would all be winners!

Hey guys, I just want to extend super duper good luck to the both of you.
My vote was for the Frisian Dew, but any of them will be great to see.

Of course I am leaning towards the the SOIL grow as that is my preference. :)
This is a great idea you guys have and again GOOD LUCK!

:peace: and can't wait for this to begin

I personally voted for Blueberry because I haven't seen a good grow with it yet. Jozo, do you test your soil for mineral composition or just use it straight from the bag/horses(cows) ass? I know some fertilizers are considered "hot". We used to raise goats and goat shit is a great cold fertilizer. That may be why some of the UA plants are looking so good and the SSH look a little weaker.

I personally voted for Blueberry because I haven't seen a good grow with it yet.

I'd like to see a couple of good Blueberry grows (with different methods) myself.

Earlier I stated that if my Blueberry suggestion was picked, to use DJ Short for the breeder. I have since heard that he doesn't do feminized seeds. If that is the case, the Dutch Passion Blueberry would be acceptable to me. So would any Blueberry strain that DJ Short has worked on that is available in feminized form by another breeder/bank.

But... It's looking like the grow won't be with Blueberry unless the voting results are different than the current standings.

Hey, you're right! I was just looking at the percentages. Only eight votes separates first place from last. I was kind of surprised when I realized that there were only 33 votes total. With a week to go, the final results could be completely different.

Regardless, it'll be an interesting "Iron Chef Challenge."

There are a few Lemon Haze a PE's going right now is the main reason I chose Blueberry. That and I tend to like plants with some color in them. Blueberry gives the added grower abilities in as well from what the reviews say. I just got moved into a legal state, so my once I close on my house ad get settled in my testing will begin. My wife say my light hobby is the only thing that keeps her sane... I guess that means I drive her crazy when I'm bored with little to do.

There are a few Lemon Haze a PE's going right now is the main reason I chose Blueberry. That and I tend to like plants with some color in them. Blueberry gives the added grower abilities in as well from what the reviews say. I just got moved into a legal state, so my once I close on my house ad get settled in my testing will begin. My wife say my light hobby is the only thing that keeps her sane... I guess that means I drive her crazy when I'm bored with little to do.
Well I did say in the NOTM contest I would submit a purple entry eventually, maybe the Blueberry will be the winner. I think that JZ and I should both enter the NOTM for the month we finish, it will give an added dimension to the contest.

I modified my .SIG. Hope it helps a few more people find your poll.

Back
Top Bottom