Its A New Year's Flipping Party! Group Journal For Those Flipping On New Year's

I just took off some leaves and a couple small branches from the bases in preparation. On New Years Eve my plants will be 50 days.

I want to chime in on the defoliation debate. If you can actually see through your plant in even its thickest parts then don't ever cut a leaf. I cut my plants because I HAVE to. The monster fan leaves smother the base of my plants. The air circulation is for poop *I'm gonna edit my language for the ladies present (Freak). I don't cut all of them... I dig growing leaves larger than my size 13 feet, and i know they come in handy in late flower, but I will never have a shortage of leaves.

DWC, when done correctly, will rock the roots, make a huge stem, And a million and a half leaves in a season. If I take a leaf I know it will be replaced with a larger one in less than a week.

So, i get the defol. debate. But let's look at it on a case by case basis. If youre growing Dr. Grinspoon, or some other exotic sativa you will never need defoliation. But I may take 50 leaves off of an indica during its life for a few reasons. 1. Ventilation, 2. To get that bump in growth just before I flip. 3. It seriously helps manipulating branches etc. in the scrog. 4. If I don't, i will grow cabbage. The leaves grow into each other and I need to comb my fingers through the leaves daily to get them to separate. What I try not to do is take leaves within a few nodes from the top. 80% is in the middle of the plant

I totally get the leaves are the plants solar panel, and the whole transpiration gig, but in my situation if i pull one I have 10 more behind it. I've read through a few spicy discussions on this and the problem is people lump this topic onto ALL pot plants. Even funnier are the people who can't understand why defoliating outdoor plants isnt as popular. Or that God made the plants like this for a reason. We need to treat this topic just like all the other factors in this game. Some plants like nutes some dont. Some plants you top, some you don't etc. Keep it on a case by case basis.

There are a few discussions that really get people going in our chosen hobby (not so much here thankfully). Which light is best... Which nutrient combo is best... and should one defoliate. As for the later, i do, i see immediate results, and i will never stop.
487be8e05e8d8eba05f52e8e4937ec76.jpg
f34af9e6320caa9145cd37dc726ab46c.jpg
e4f8643f5ac6147c278735395e0f3b6d.jpg
11ce05ed78516120de099af3ea6547d3.jpg
2d488886cb98527f32407b0a1f9d7e6d.jpg

I am thinkin this is gonna be my preferred grow method damn they grow faster than you can control them.

I am thinkin this is gonna be my preferred grow method damn they grow faster than you can control them.
Case by case man. Some plants, and grow methods dont need it. In my opinion. I don't do it just to do it, i do it cause I have to.

Never discuss defoliation. Dont ask dont tell. Its too personal.
You wanna have some fun go to RIU and say schwazzing is the best thing that has ever happened to marijuana propagation. Then buckle up

I just took off some leaves and a couple small branches from the bases in preparation. On New Years Eve my plants will be 50 days.

I want to chime in on the defoliation debate. If you can actually see through your plant in even its thickest parts then don't ever cut a leaf. I cut my plants because I HAVE to. The monster fan leaves smother the base of my plants. The air circulation is for poop *I'm gonna edit my language for the ladies present (Freak). I don't cut all of them... I dig growing leaves larger than my size 13 feet, and i know they come in handy in late flower, but I will never have a shortage of leaves.

DWC, when done correctly, will rock the roots, make a huge stem, And a million and a half leaves in a season. If I take a leaf I know it will be replaced with a larger one in less than a week.

So, i get the defol. debate. But let's look at it on a case by case basis. If youre growing Dr. Grinspoon, or some other exotic sativa you will never need defoliation. But I may take 50 leaves off of an indica during its life for a few reasons. 1. Ventilation, 2. To get that bump in growth just before I flip. 3. It seriously helps manipulating branches etc. in the scrog. 4. If I don't, i will grow cabbage. The leaves grow into each other and I need to comb my fingers through the leaves daily to get them to separate. What I try not to do is take leaves within a few nodes from the top. 80% is in the middle of the plant

I totally get the leaves are the plants solar panel, and the whole transpiration gig, but in my situation if i pull one I have 10 more behind it. I've read through a few spicy discussions on this and the problem is people lump this topic onto ALL pot plants. Even funnier are the people who can't understand why defoliating outdoor plants isnt as popular. Or that God made the plants like this for a reason. We need to treat this topic just like all the other factors in this game. Some plants like nutes some dont. Some plants you top, some you don't etc. Keep it on a case by case basis.

There are a few discussions that really get people going in our chosen hobby (not so much here thankfully). Which light is best... Which nutrient combo is best... and should one defoliate. As for the later, i do, i see immediate results, and i will never stop.
487be8e05e8d8eba05f52e8e4937ec76.jpg
f34af9e6320caa9145cd37dc726ab46c.jpg
e4f8643f5ac6147c278735395e0f3b6d.jpg
11ce05ed78516120de099af3ea6547d3.jpg
2d488886cb98527f32407b0a1f9d7e6d.jpg
I admit that having more leaves left on the plants in the end will produce bigger colas, But in a 4x4 tent, I have no choice than to defoil a couple times. I defoiled a couple days ago which is my before flip defoil, and then at end of stretch, I'll defoil once more. And anytime I witness a fan leaf blocking light to any bud site, in the trash can it goes. and sometimes, It depends on the strain, (like my strain of bubba's gift doesn't like defoil. , at all). Right now i have two 4x4 tents, ready to flip, but I got problem with me leaves canoeing upwards, and being mo lime green. i've been growing this same blue dream for over 2 yrs. and never did it act like this ? the Mega jackpot, i've grew for one grow, cloned it & now am growing 4 of thost 9 wk. old clones, and will be taking more cuttings tomorrow, before flip. I'm going to go ahead and flip, tomorrow night. I usually don't flip till all is healthy, but I'm getting so big that I'll not have room if I don't flip now. I strongly suspect the gas heat in my apt., as it keeps the humidity low. I'm hanging wet towels now, and that brings it from 25% up to about 40%. But what a pain in my ass !! 420budfreak, thanks for starting this, and happy New year to everyone, on planet earth !!

I admit that having more leaves left on the plants in the end will produce bigger colas, But in a 4x4 tent, I have no choice than to defoil a couple times. I defoiled a couple days ago which is my before flip defoil, and then at end of stretch, I'll defoil once more. And anytime I witness a fan leaf blocking light to any bud site, in the trash can it goes. and sometimes, It depends on the strain, (like my strain of bubba's gift doesn't like defoil. , at all). Right now i have two 4x4 tents, ready to flip, but I got problem with me leaves canoeing upwards, and being mo lime green. i've been growing this same blue dream for over 2 yrs. and never did it act like this ? the Mega jackpot, i've grew for one grow, cloned it & now am growing 4 of thost 9 wk. old clones, and will be taking more cuttings tomorrow, before flip. I'm going to go ahead and flip, tomorrow night. I usually don't flip till all is healthy, but I'm getting so big that I'll not have room if I don't flip now. I strongly suspect the gas heat in my apt., as it keeps the humidity low. I'm hanging wet towels now, and that brings it from 25% up to about 40%. But what a pain in my ass !! 420budfreak, thanks for starting this, and happy New year to everyone, on planet earth !!

Humidity is a pain!! Always up or down lol. Glad to have you along! :) No problemo starting it up. Pretty sure it was Newtys idea to flip on New Years lol :)

I'm glad to see its workin for you. And even more glad to see that you know when not to do it.

Funny I just got a 4x4 tent... just now. I finished setting it up and sat down to read your post.

It's gonna get two Alcopulco Gold and 3 Lemon Skunk clones.... they won't be the ones going photoperiod on new years. I really like it. It's made really well. glad to see that.
47ad0f4c5a50b3252f381b74858e45f3.jpg
4ad8159bbcf57ebc05895f59fed16517.jpg

Back
Top Bottom