Jack 47 - Super Lemon Haze - Hydro LED Scrog

Re: Jack 47, Super Lemon Haze - Hydro LED Scrog w/ BPN!

Thanks for the comments XLR8.

I have def. noticed the SLH to be a slower starter than the rest and I don't think I will be making a mother out of it because I only plan to do scrogs and even though it is a very healthy looking strain no that its got some root mass it still doesn't spread like I would like.

Yes I am using the EBB n Grow monster setup from CAP. I was looking into the titan model you had but I got a killer deal for 450 new delivered for the entire setup tubing and everything so I couldn't pass that up.

Appreciate the comments and I also took into account all those things =)
I at first did not have an airstone, the only reason I added one was to mix the nutes up and my water in the rez was getting stagnent without it. I was developing somewhat brown slime in the rez also.

I added the air-stone and slime went away and water is very fresh and smells clean all week until I do my rez changes on sunday now. Lots of pretty bubbles and clear rez now compared to the brownish stinky smelling water without the stone.

The reason I lifted to buckets again was because I was seeing some brown slime in them from the water sitting and I was getting PH fluctuations from doing so. As soon as I lifted them and got all the water out my ph is stable at 5.7 almost the entire week. Before I had to adjust on a daily basis with PH down. I will be doing some modifications to the system after harvest for next grow where I will be removing the inner buckets and replacing with nice netted pots for better aeration and I plan to alter the buckets by moving the drainage hole on the bottom as opposed to the side. I also thought by lifting them up 2 inchs it would force the roots to spread out more since they would not be getting as much water as before.

I was thinking of getting a recirculation pump to mix the nutes but the airstone I have it top of the line and moves the water around so much I am figured it would be over kill to add that in.

Now that I have everything tuned in and I have some practice with the system its awesome compared to my oldschool soil grows. Now all I have to do is change the rez sunday add the nutes and I am good for the week. Rez smells like lemons with the sm-90 and is clear to the bottom.

Whole reason I went this way was to be as maint. free as I could as I have my second baby on the way I want to be able to spend as much time with the family and know my girls are getting all the nutes and treatment they deseve by being able to maintain themselves which sofar is working perfectly.

I love the LED's I actually changed the setup a little for spacing until they get more spread out. I have 1 led directly over each 2 set pair of plants. The LED's in the middle were raised a few inches to give it a Triangular arc of lighting to reach the sides of the plants so its like a big W effect of lighting. directly over and between. Ill take some new pics to show you what i mean but its working out much better. These things are just to stong lol

Each bar has 5 sets of 9 led groups. 3 red 6 whites(dual spectrums) Each entire strip is 90w total so each led group is 2w Cree reds and SEOUL 10k Whites so each little batch is 18w and allows basically for each budsite to have its own seperate light which seems to work out great especially for the scrog style setup. No fans because of the huge heatsink keeps them ice cool to the touch and silent.

Glad to hear that you've found some things that work. The airstone will help circulate things for sure, and if it's helping that's all that counts! You bring up a good point in that they aren't exactly the same systems, either, and what works for me might not work quite the same for you (but the differences are small I'm sure). I really like the net pot system of the Flo N Gro, it would be cool if you could do something like that with the Ebb Monster.

Cool LEDs and you definitely picked a good grow style for ease of use in hydro.

Good luck the rest of the way - looking forward to following along! :)

Thanks XLR8 Def appreciate any advice and info you can throw my way :thumb: I was checking out your latest grow and bravo my friend everything you got going looks amazing. What are your thoughts on SLH? I have 5 strains and I want to stay within my legal limit of 12 plants. So I will be making 4 strains into mothers. I am for sure taking my best Jack-47 and the 50/50 hybrid because they are doing outstanding for scrog. I am thinking the LA con as well because its also responding well to the setup and its a potent ass girl!

I love sativa's and was really excited for the SLH but she seems to be a very slow goer compared to the others and doesn't like to branch out quite as much compared to the my other choice of the Great White Shark.

Then I have the issue that I have a dozen or so motarebel/elite genetic beans from my grows a few years ago, before elite-genetics got busted, I wanna try cause they are all elite strains.
I remember one I specifally set aside seeds from that was deep purple but you couldn't see through the THC coat and when it was cured you could actaully break the thc coat off the nug lol it was amazing.
I know there are some purplebutters, herijuana and a molokai frost or two and an amazing banana strain elite genetics tossed me in there with them to...

Anyway anything you can offer is most welcome as I am always looking to learn from the best!

Realized I haven't posted environment specs lately here is where its sitting.

Room temp is 73-75 F constantly lights on with 36-40% humidity.
Lights off goes to 66-68 F with 45% hum.

Rez stays at 65-67 F without cooler.
Ph 5.7-5.8 barely changes and is nice and clear with a lemony scent since adding the sm-90(this stuff is amazing) but I like to keep it at 5.7,.
PPMs I might lower a little currently running at 1330 but I gotta give props to Corey for his amazing nutes.

The plants LOVE the BPN and they almost ph balance themselves which is very helpful. I previously used the fox farm lineup and BPN blows them out of the water hands down.

Any thoughts on using snowstorm ultra at the end of flowering? I used purple maxx on mu last soil organic grow with amazing results but with thus setup I am not sure how it will affect the plants. I have some but even the bottle states if using an airstone the rez will basically fet all gunked up and im not sure if the sm90 would kill it. Was checking out all the talk about glr lighting in your thread and doing 13/11 vs 12/12 and I was wondering what your thoughts are on it. I was thinking I might try 13/11 when I induce.

wow you got some good strains in there right now! I wanted to try out that Jack 47 so let me know how the smoke is when its all said and done.

I really like your set up everything looks very clean and organized!

Stop by my journal if you get a second come check out my PPP and my JD Lighting Journal.

Keep up the good work my friend!

Sounds like you have some really cool genetics to work with! I haven't flowered the SLH yet, but have been grooming a mother with the hopes I'll like it. After my current run, I plan to flower a few cuttings from the SLH either on their own or with some Chocolope if it's ready.

I've topped my SLH mom several times now, and it'll get really bushy if you train it. I think for some reason it is a slow starter, but once mine got going, it really exploded as far as root mass and growth in general. Now, it's a chore to keep up with it as I'm trying to keep it small until I'm ready to take cuttings. Once I flower some of her cuttings I'll know whether I want to keep her long term. Like you, I only plan to keep 4 or so mother plants at the most, and this is one of my candidates at the moment. Have heard a lot of good things about it, but sounds like not all phenos are the same or as good. Hopefully you and I have good versions/phenos of the SLH! :)

I've never used Snow Storm Ultra, but I think for hydro it's often used as a Foliar spray for the reasons you mentioned. Don't quote me on that, like I said, I've not used it. I have to admit, though, I've been interested in seeing you try it since you brought up using it at the beginning of your journal. :) Mr Krip, is one of the nicest most intelligent members on this site, and he uses Snow Storm Ultra in hydro -- check out his latest journal or send him a PM, he'd be happy to give you his opinion/tips/insight I'm certain.

I'm trying a 11 hour daylight, 13 hour night schedule on my flowering plants at the moment mostly due to the fact that they are Sativa dominant and I'm trying to coax Sativa traits from them. To date, I have no opinion on it and I've never done it in the past. Just an experiment on my part somewhat. There is a lot of deeper discussion on this somewhere in the earlier part of my most recent journal, but that's the jist of it.

I was considering tapering the daylight time down by 15 minutes every 2 weeks in flower, which is typically the flowering schedule for the 12-1 technique/Gas Lantern Routine that people talk about. But, first wanted to try the 11/13 to see how I liked that.

With Indica dominant strains, 12/12 seems to work fine. Sometimes Sativas don't like that much daylight and are slow to flower or finish flowering. DJ Short, the breeder, supposedly does an 11/13 schedule. I believe he was also the one that felt strongly that a 'Sativa friendly' lighting schedule was more likely to coax Sativa tendencies from a hybrid plant. I've noticed that my nerve pain seems to be better treated by Sativa heavier meds, so that weighed into my decision to try that as well...

The Blue Planet nutrients DO work great. Corey is a great guy, too. Your environmental factors are great -- that's 90% of the battle, imo. Nice job so far. :thumb:

Ya def a lot of different Pheno's for the SLH. I have one that is half yellow with no issues it just has mad variegation issues in the genetics lol. At first I thought it had some weird disease but after hours of research it seems some plants are just like that especially with SLH. My other SLH on the other hand is totally opposite. Very tall stout and green no discoloration at all lol. I topped it a few days ago so ill see how she does.

I like you have also found better benefits for my pain with heavy sativa strains that's why I chose the strains I did. I am hoping for that awesome pheno and I hope you get it to! I have seen a few awesome phenos but the downside I found on them is they were 70+ day plants. I know its worth the extra wait but I love to have a mixture of meds around so I really don't want to hold my entire harvest around one plant when the others will be done weeks before.

This is my first SCROG type grow and my first time experimenting with fimming etc so I am still kinda nervous to do it all. What I have been doing so far is I fimmed(or hope I fimmed lol) a few of them once or I removed the fan leaves as they sprouted to leave light to the lower node of sites and the newest growth. I figured this would give me more shoots because there is no light blockage and it wouldn't stress the plant out as much as chopping the stem might. I continually do this each week and slowly remove fan leaves that cover sites below that are coming up to make sure they all have access to light. Do you think this is more effective than topping? What I guess I mean is it better to top or to get light to the regions below? Will topping distribute more growth towards the lowers nodes than just allowing light by redirecting nutrients or anything to that? I have noticed lots of new pot bud sites doing this but I am not sure if multiple topping is more effective. I was also checking out the UBT style but I guess I get confused about what topping truly does for the plant as opposed to just getting as much light to each site as possible. is there a chemical change that occurs or anything to that affect? Thanks again for all your insight guys!

I gotta say I am liking these leds more and more each day. I just got my first electricity bill since I started the grow.

Before grow bill was 67.00.

First month with everything going which includes everything running 24/7 except lights which are 18/6. ebb n gro timer,ph meter, 6 leds, 4inch high output centrifugal intake fan, 6 inch high output centri exhaust fan, baddass blades circulation fan, airstone pump.

First month grand total..... 111.00! With increased az summer rates starting to take effect!

$44.00 for elec. For the month is a huge step up from my last mh/hps grows where I was pushing $450.00. Leds for the win!

Ya def a lot of different Pheno's for the SLH. I have one that is half yellow with no issues it just has mad variegation issues in the genetics lol. At first I thought it had some weird disease but after hours of research it seems some plants are just like that especially with SLH. My other SLH on the other hand is totally opposite. Very tall stout and green no discoloration at all lol. I topped it a few days ago so ill see how she does.

I like you have also found better benefits for my pain with heavy sativa strains that's why I chose the strains I did. I am hoping for that awesome pheno and I hope you get it to! I have seen a few awesome phenos but the downside I found on them is they were 70+ day plants. I know its worth the extra wait but I love to have a mixture of meds around so I really don't want to hold my entire harvest around one plant when the others will be done weeks before.

This is my first SCROG type grow and my first time experimenting with fimming etc so I am still kinda nervous to do it all. What I have been doing so far is I fimmed(or hope I fimmed lol) a few of them once or I removed the fan leaves as they sprouted to leave light to the lower node of sites and the newest growth. I figured this would give me more shoots because there is no light blockage and it wouldn't stress the plant out as much as chopping the stem might. I continually do this each week and slowly remove fan leaves that cover sites below that are coming up to make sure they all have access to light. Do you think this is more effective than topping? What I guess I mean is it better to top or to get light to the regions below? Will topping distribute more growth towards the lowers nodes than just allowing light by redirecting nutrients or anything to that? I have noticed lots of new pot bud sites doing this but I am not sure if multiple topping is more effective. I was also checking out the UBT style but I guess I get confused about what topping truly does for the plant as opposed to just getting as much light to each site as possible. is there a chemical change that occurs or anything to that affect? Thanks again for all your insight guys!

Topping will force the plant to redirect it's energy to other grow tips (lateral branches). Growing sativa genetics indoors, means getting creative. I'm no expert, this is my first Sativa dom. grow, but I've been growing in tight spaces for a while now, and honestly this is often necessary with indica hybrids too.

My theory or approach, is to top them once (basically what I do is what's commonly referred to as an Uncle Ben's Topping). If you do the UBT (just a topping but you wait until about 7 nodes, then top above the second true node. If you do it right, you should have the 4 secondary branches all take up the cause to be the new "top".

Then I train them (LST, bending branches) so that instead of one big cola, I'll get several "main colas" at roughly the same height. Think of it a bit like a game of "whack a mole". I bend them down or to the side when they get above the others, and then the others shoot up. If you keep on this and work at it, you can end up with several "tops". To answer one of your questins, what you are doing is redirecting the plants growth auxins to new grow tips each time you bend one down.

You can also top multiple times to get multiple grow tips like this. Basically, my approach is to make it wider and bushier, because "up" is limited and they often would prefer to be 6 feet or taller if left to their own devices...

Your lighting will be most effective indoors if you can create an even canopy.

Another tip, is that if you defoliate along the main stem of a taller branch, it will slow it down some. I also like to remove fan leaves that block budsites, but I'm still experimenting with how much defoliation I really like. In general, I like to top, train, and defoliate to maximize light penetration.

Sorry if I rambled - many ways to do it, just thought I'd share mine in case it's helpful. Oh, and I've never fimmed. I started to try it, but gave up on it and just topped it. I'll give it another shot someday, but haven't yet.

Girls did some huge growth over the last week and they are starting to fill in the screen. The jack-47 is def my fav. so far because it just likes to bush out, My next grow will be all Jack's from the Mother I make out of Jack#1. Im gonna take some clones next sunday for my mothers and I might let them go another week depending on what they look like next sunday before flowering.
They are 5 weeks 1 day old from seed today and have been in veg for 22 days now. So 3 weeks in veg.

jack-47 1
IMG_8553.JPG

IMG_8550.JPG

IMG_8541.JPG

IMG_8549.JPG

Jack-47 2
IMG_8544.JPG

Hybrid
IMG_85421.JPG

IMG_8548.JPG

My good SLH finally starting to spread her legs! Thing grows alot slower but the stalk on this thing is thick. I bend her under the screen and she put up a fight lol.
IMG_8543.JPG

IMG_8551.JPG

My lovely tyedye slh lol
IMG_8552.JPG

LA Conf.
IMG_85451.JPG

Great White
IMG_8546.JPG

IMG_85471.JPG

On the ScOG do you just let them pick which holes they grow into themselves or do you direct them around and make sure they fill it out evenly and with one node per hole?

Thedoc- ya they are kinda experimental, ive only managed to find one other grow from a spanish grow forum by a mr.x and he got 2.4grams/watt wth amazing thc coverage in a very long and detailed journal so thats what started me on them and got me intouch with the maker. So far I love them way more than mh,hps I cant wait to see them in flower were they are supposed to shine.

Tx- this is my first scrog so I hope im doing it right lol. What ive been doing is once they poke through the screen a few inchs I guide them out to the free net into the next hole and take the under growth and bringem up through the middle if they dont reach yet on the outersides to try and get the net as full as I can for an even canopy so these lights can touch as many sites as possable.

Thedoc- ya they are kinda experimental, ive only managed to find one other grow from a spanish grow forum by a mr.x and he got 2.4grams/watt wth amazing thc coverage in a very long and detailed journal so thats what started me on them and got me intouch with the maker. So far I love them way more than mh,hps I cant wait to see them in flower were they are supposed to shine.

I'm looking forward to seeing them flower as well. 2.4gpw is crazy good.

Hi az, nice little grow you've got there.:smokin:

Normally, I'd think you'd be better in a tent with modular ScrOG instead of such a large, one-frame screen, but that particular tent opens up on the sides/back also to allow access for the ol' 'nip and tuck', correct? How's your back holding up? :rolleyes3

I gotta say I am liking these leds more and more each day. I just got my first electricity bill since I started the grow.

Cool; nice savings! Out of curiosity, what are you currently paying per kWh?

I'm looking forward to seeing them flower as well. 2.4gpw is crazy good.

I believe there's a missing digit in there that got left out accidentally. Using the total power including draw from the drivers, Mr. X did 2.14 g/w, not 2.4. Still absolutely stellar, of course - and at 14w/sq. ft.(!), that also had the efficiency hawks like myself virtually creaming in their respective, metaphorical pants. Even better than the 1.99 g/w he did with the previous generation of Gud's lights on his 2nd run with Chronic.

(One of those pics is what I used for the Motivational Poster that ended up getting posted on Gud's blog back in July) ;)

Each bar has 5 sets of 9 led groups. 3 red 6 whites(dual spectrums)

Do you know if your unit has the workaround for the current imbalancing issue they had, or you're simply using the 24v strings which helps to reduce but not eliminate running the strings in parallel off of one driver?

I know this will be corrected permanently on the V4 'StarLine' coming out in a few months.

Each entire strip is 90w total so each led group is 2w Cree reds and SEOUL 10k Whites so each little batch is 18w and allows basically for each budsite to have its own seperate light which seems to work out great especially for the scrog style setup.

Interesting...any word from Gud on why he eschewed the 6.5K XP-E's in favor of the Seoul 10K Z-Power whites? Apart from adding a couple more watts of white per 'module', this will also make it a 'bluer' light, with less 'full spectrum' white than the V3.

Should help to keep the plants even shorter than before (and work better with Sativa-dominants, surely), though at the expense of some green/yellow, and a bit of red also.

Cheers,

-TL

Hi TL thanks for chiming in glad to see someone else whose heard of these lights :thumb: and ya its 2.14g from mr.x I usually reply on my phone and the damn auto text always leaves stuff off. Still like you said its an amazing feat. and Mr.x had his lights up fairly high

About my tent yes there are 2 full openings on both sides so I can unzip the whole tent and have access to each plant for 'nip and tuck' when they go into flower.

My backs the reason I'm growing these babes so I actually use a roller panel I used to use on to get under my cars to work on so I just bring that in lay down and will snip away whats needs to go.

As for my kwH, it is currently at .005cents and I know when May hits they are gonna spike as they always do.

I cannot wait for the Starline90's to be finished, I've been speaking with Gud about the new design and all the great upgrades going into them and I plan on grabbing 6 of them once this grow is finished. I'm really excited for the new LED's going into them and dual spectrum red's.

I am going to move 4 of these current lights into my mother tent so I can have 8 lights in my veg/flower 6 Starline 90's and 2 of the current ones I have. I cannot wait to try out the new models. He told me about them when I ordered these but I didn't want to wait that long as I knew I was going to need more lights down the road anyhow. Heck he even offered to switch them out if I wanted to pay the shipping cost to send my current models back but I likem so much I will just pick up another set and keep these.

My model, from what Gud explained, is a sort of a V3.5 it has some of the V4 implementations built into them. The reason for the change to the 10k whites Quoted from Gud

"These LEDs bring a new socket that makes the work far fewer LED temperature and note duration. Besides carrying lamps working hours lost some luster by temperature, with the new socket yield the same lumens to light that when you shut down, have virtually no temperature losses"

as well as achieving a warmer spectrum similar to HPS and like you said, it also keeps the plants shorter and bushier which I have def. noticed and is the reason I decided to go SCROG. My strains are mostly sativa dominant which I am going for so they work perfect.

As for the imbalance issue I did speak to Gud about this and its why he said I could switch them out for the newer models if I wished but like I said earlier, he stated my models had implementations that were also going into the V4 models and he reassured me that mine would not have that issue and checked them before he sent them to me. I checked them all when I received them as well with my friends light meter and I got even readings for each light cluster on each bar. I do love the fact that the newer models will only require one ballast as right now I have 6 mounted on my wall outside the tent using the wall as a heatsink lol. Works great but would be nice to have less wires in the room.

Have you used on the of evo line in any of your grows? I am always interested to hear from others exp. with them and to see their outcomes.

Thanks again TL please chime in whenever you wish!:nomo:

Little update: I took some cuttings to make into my 4 mothers on Monday night. I am using a daisy aero cloner with a concoction of stuff to get them to root. I used 1.5 gallons of water, 4 drops of SuperThrive,2 ml of SM90, 15ml of Rhizatonic, 3/4 cup of olivias solution. After taking the cuttings and scraping the lower layer I dipped them into Rootech Cloning gel I had that came with my ebb-n-grow nute pack and then I dipped them into some Bonide Cloning Powder.
Here is a pick the a few minutes after taking the cuttings and plopping them into the cloner. Cloner pump is set on 15 min on/off increments to keep temps in water down.

I gave them a good Spray Down with Vita Grow Anti-Wilt and I do about 2-3 sprays day on them with this.

IMG_8554.JPG

And here are some pics today 2 days later.
IMG_85681.JPG

Jack-47 #1
IMG_85651.JPG

SLH Non TyeDye
IMG_8564.JPG

Hybrid(I messed up on the first cutting so I took a second just in case)
IMG_85661.JPG

L.A. Conf.
IMG_85671.JPG

Once again you picked some awesome strains!! SLH, LA CONF., and Jack 47 are 3 strains i want to order!!! so now i get to see a live review before i buy them haha. Good job on the clones i take it you've done it before? everything looks clean and just great, im really excited for you and to see how everything turns out!

Back
Top Bottom