JakPot's Hempy Bucket LED Grow - First Journal

JakPot

I am running Multiple Strains:
1. THC Bomb
2. Brooklyn Mango
3. Sex Bud
4. ? Not sure on the fourth. I have another BMango and an Afghan Kush X Black Domina (Freebie) germinating; whichever pops first is going in the veg room. The other is going in the seed room to make pollen. All of these seeds are Fem.

I also have 2 Nicole Kush x Morocco Reg (also freebies) germinating, if they germ they are going to seed.

I am running a nondescript LED rated at 300W (132 actual draw) for veg and an LED rated at 800W (210 actual draw) for flower.

I am using GH Flora Series from day one, as per Hempy's instructions. I will adjust feeding schedule if needed. I am using tap water along with GH PH Control Kit.

This is my first journal, so I hope this format is OK. I am going to upload some pictures to the gallery and will be back here shortly to post them.

I put up a whole bunch of pics of the start of this grow. They are not the most well organized. I meant to start this journal at the start of germination but had a bit of trouble getting it started initially. So, hopefull these pics will bring you all up to speed and I will post pics as I take them with clear labeling going forward.

IMG_20161018_210312425.jpg
IMG_20161018_210302369.jpg
IMG_20161018_210241446.jpg
IMG_20161018_092114063.jpg
IMG_20161018_092021398.jpg
IMG_20161017_215802928.jpg

IMG_20161017_215726526.jpg

IMG_20161017_215719741.jpg
IMG_20161017_215708037.jpg
IMG_20161017_215659846.jpg
IMG_20161017_215655240.jpg
IMG_20161015_221805875.jpg
IMG_20161015_221620987.jpg
IMG_20161015_221628273.jpg
IMG_20161015_221631420.jpg
IMG_20161015_145642762.jpg
IMG_20161011_243150310.jpg

Also, i had a few more than this that wouldn't upload, got an error message (server response code 0) but not crucial pics. A couple more pics of supplies and of PH test results, no biggie.

I put that post with the pics up last night when I was tired and quite baked. I was going to edit it, but not quite sure how now. For some clarification, the largest of the seedlings, the one with the ladybug on it in one pic, is the THC Bomb.

The Brooklyn Mango is the one that had a little film on the cotyledons upon sprouting. the shell was stuck, then fell off, but that film was there. Germed and sprouted sort of like an aged seed but the cotyledons pulled the film apart and it fell off.

The Sex bud is the seedling in the photo with the 3 buckets, the bucket in the furthest upper left corner of the image, next to the power supply.

The THC Bomb is growing in her second set of leaves nicely. I will try to get some good images but my camera is not the greatest and it is a little difficult to see under that pink light. I will def take some pics when the light is off, right after midnight.

Currently on an 18/6 light cycle.

Feeding full strength nutes for seedlings/cuttings - 1.25ml/gal. PHing it to 6. I know that may be controversial, but I am following Hempy's original instructions from another forum (not sure if I can mention other forums here?)... I believe those instructions to be correct because there is no soil here, no nutrient for the first 4 - 6 weeks, other than what I give them. I am feeding twice, then watering.

I am no expert so I'd love to hear all of your opinions on your NUTE position as it relates to Hempy Buckets.

Also, just in general. Please, if you see me doing something wrong, let me know so that I can fix it. I have grown for a while but only in micro-cabs with CFL's, soil, and intense LST. This is my first Hempy Bucket, first Manifold, first time using LED's, and my first grow journal.

All of your input is extremely welcome!

Here are a couple more pics:

THC Bomb showing second set of leaves. It's a little hard to see with my 8MP camera, but here you can see the second set of leaves coming in.
IMG_20161020_244149928.jpg

The second Brooklyn Mango sprouted from the Jiffy 7 Pellet.
IMG_20161020_244232381.jpg

The Brooklyn Mango is under a humidity dome until it spreads it's cotyledon and opens up its first set of leaves.
IMG_20161020_244224163.jpg

The Afghan Kush x Black Domina Fem freebie sprouted right after the second Brooklyn Mango. That's five fem seeds from Herbies that I germed and 5 that popped - 100% in Jiffy 7 Pellets.

The AK x BD is going into the seed room to be sprayed with Colloidal silver for pollen.

I fed the girls today, PH'd to 6.

IMG_20161020_081857838.jpg

You can see that second set of leaves growing in on the THC Bomb a bit better today than yesterday.

IMG_20161020_083719454.jpg

I put the second Brooklyn Mango that sprouted into her bucket today. I was going to wait a little but just like the first, her roots were growing through the bottom of the puck and I didn't want them exposed to light.

IMG_20161020_083311228_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of Perlite and Vermiculite today so the bucket is lower than the others. I placed another order this morning so should have some in a couple days. Will need for next set and I will add more to the bucket that is lacking then I'll cover the 3 remaining buckets with Perlite at the top like the THC Bomb.

Would this journal be an easier read if I post thumbnails instead of full sized images?

Ok, so I learned something new about growing under LEDs today. Before I get to that I am just going to say that I am not showing any pictures of the light or mentioning the name brand is because it is not a sponsor brand.

So what I learned is that just like powerful LEDs can burn the plants if they are too close, they can burn you too.

My skin started feeling kind of tight about 4 days ago but it was a really nice day in the area for the season. For the past 3 days it's been raining and there's been no sun. My burn as been getting worse though, especially on the back of my neck which is most exposed to the light. But also my face and ears to a lesser degree.

So now I am applying sun screen daily before entering the grow room.

IMG_20161021_203157034.jpg

Hey there Jak! Things are looking good your way. Im using the GH series as well and have been for more then 10 years. I love it. I grew the hempy way years back and it was a great experience. Ill pull up a comfy chair and watch the grow!

Freak-Out

Thanks for stopping by and pulling up a chair! This is my first time using GH. Previously in soil with CFL's I used FF nutes. This seems to be working well though. Never fed this early before but without soil, I think it's my best bet and they seem to be responding well. I'll flush with PH'd water if need be then adjust schedule if I see anything negative.

Did you feed your Hempy's from the start?

Thanks for stopping by and pulling up a chair! This is my first time using GH. Previously in soil with CFL's I used FF nutes. This seems to be working well though. Never fed this early before but without soil, I think it's my best bet and they seem to be responding well. I'll flush with PH'd water if need be then adjust schedule if I see anything negative.

Did you feed your Hempy's from the start?

Hey there :) .. as per Hempys original way I sure did! As soon as I put the rooted (can see at least one tap root coming out of the pellet) seedling into my buckets. Full strength as per GH. Feeding every 2-3 days. Some people go with every day but I was lazy and my plants loved it. Hempy way lives on!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I took a few more pics yesterday after feeding. They are still small, growing pretty slowly at the start but from everything that I have ready about Hempy's, it is to be expected. At least until the roots fill in the reservoir, at which point I expect the growth to explode.

Here are some more pics:

Temps are in range:
Temps_in_range.jpg

Couple pics of the Bomb, side view and top down. She was the first to pop and definitely the most developed so far.
THC_Bomb_Top_Down.jpg
THC_Bomb_Side_Profile.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the Sex Bud, again top down and side view
Sex_Bud_Side_Profile.jpg
Sex_Bud_From_Top.jpg

A couple shots of the Mango, both these shots look pretty similar, just different angles.
IMG_20161023_135151574.jpg
First_Mango_Side.jpg

I took these shots yesterday but did not get a chance to put them up until now. I think for the Bomb at least, the roots are getting close to the reservoir if they are not already there.

Also, I had to move the plants. I have a tent that I have not even set up yet. I am going to be setting it up before I put them into flower but only set up the veg room initially (spare closet). It was 3.5'x2'x5'. The LED did not throw a lot of heat down toward the plants but every time I ran the fan it approached 90 degrees F in there, it just circulated a bunch of heat from above around the entire room.

So I turned another empty closet that I had into the veg room, it is 5'x2'x7.5'; the extra 2.5 feet in height and 1.5' in width makes it much easier to control temps with the fan on steady, which is good for strengthening their stock and keeping RH in range. I'll get some shots of the room next time.

I had a blackout the night before last. It's not uncommon here in the winter for there to be blackouts and the winter is coming. I am new here but some of my friends have been here much longer than I have and they say it is very common. If that is the case, or if it becomes a common occurrence, I may end up switching to auto's after this run.

Luckily, that blackout occurred exactly one hour before lights out, so they still got 17 hours and the lights were back on by morning, so they didn't miss any more light than that... Who knows, maybe if I can make sure they get the minimum required light, maybe these blackouts will end up causing some rare phenotypic expressions that kicks ass :)

Hey there :) .. as per Hempys original way I sure did! As soon as I put the rooted (can see at least one tap root coming out of the pellet) seedling into my buckets. Full strength as per GH. Feeding every 2-3 days. Some people go with every day but I was lazy and my plants loved it. Hempy way lives on!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Awesome, I feel more confident that I am doing it right

I was going every two days but this last time I waited for 3 and I think I am going to continue to do that, to encourage the roots to go seeking water. I'll prob increase it to every 1 - 2 days while in flower. I'll be vegging these for a least a month though.

:thumb:

Subbed. Looking good. :thumb: I'm trying a round of hempies soon - did a couple and liked the results so I'm going to run six of them this time, as soon as I can scrounge up more containers to drill holes in, and another can of black spray paint ;)
I get plenty of power outages and for some reason they don't seem to bother the plants. Digital timers keep the schedule from getting too messed up.

Subbed. Looking good. :thumb: I'm trying a round of hempies soon - did a couple and liked the results so I'm going to run six of them this time, as soon as I can scrounge up more containers to drill holes in, and another can of black spray paint ;)
I get plenty of power outages and for some reason they don't seem to bother the plants. Digital timers keep the schedule from getting too messed up.

Thanks for dropping in and subbing!

Good to know that the blackouts haven't hurt your grow; I don't think it'll be a major impact. The blackouts can't cause more light and once I get into flower, so long as it gets less than 12 I should be good. Though they may make a little less food for themselves and produce a smaller yield.

DJ Short recommends 13/11 for pheno hunting, so I doubt less than 12 will cause any real damage.

I am using an old school pin timer. I did have to reset proper time when the power came back on. I'll have to upgrade next time I get more supplies.

Fed again today. I haven't seen any problems at all so far with the seedling/cutting schedule on the back of the bottle of GH series. I have also been adding 3ml of peroxide per gallon and PH'ing to 6. I have read and feel that the peroxide helps keep everything well oxygenated and helps to prevent harmful bacteria from flourishing. Anyone else here with experience using peroxide? Any issues with it. None here so far, been doing it since day one.

Also, I don't think the feed schedule will hurt. As I said before, I'll keep pace with the listed schedule and adjust if I see a problem. Personally, I think a lot of the problems/burns that come from this feeding schedule (that I've seen in other journals) with this growing method arise when people ignore PH or give it CalMag when it doesn't need it. I could be wrong though and I will find out during the course of this grow :) Definitely open to advice from folks wiser and more experienced than me.

Ok, here are some pics:

Baby Brooklyn Mango. This was the last of them all to pop. So far no stretch and very little growth but nice and green and the leaves fattened up a bit from last night to today.
IMG_20161026_165056651.jpg

This is the first Brooklyn Mango to pop. She stretched a bit at first but has stopped stretching (at this phase, till flower)and now her first set of leaves are fattening and the second are beginning to come in.
IMG_20161026_165108558.jpg

Here's the Sex Bud. Also beginning to get her second set of leaves, and her first are beginning to fatten.
IMG_20161026_165129736.jpg

The THC Bomb was the first to pop and so far the most advanced of them all. I think that her roots have hit the res. I checked her out yesterday, and there is definitely quite a bit of development overnight. Makes me look forward to what tomorrow will bring.
IMG_20161026_165119490.jpg

Temps & RH are in range.
IMG_20161026_165136263.jpg

I have the fan mounted in this room like the other but further in the corner and angled out so that the breeze is hitting them all.
IMG_20161026_165143998.jpg

This is an angle shot of the new veg room. It's at an angle and doesn't capture the whole room but should give you an idea.
IMG_20161026_165158188.jpg

It's hard to tell under that pink light (in the photo) but they all look a very healthy green. No issues so far.

Back
Top Bottom