James' First Indoor Soil Grow From Clones

Topped/ Recovering/ LST/ Pics - James' First Indoor Soil Grow From Clones

Well I finally got around to topping a Violet the other day, now I'm just waiting for the new tips to start growing:
10-7-11_Topped_C.jpg

Alicia is doing good, caught a slight case of the nute burn, but not bad and she seems to be growing better than the rest (seed compared to clone I assume?). I had to move her out into the big light because she already caught up to some of the clones in height. I will be replanting her into a bigger container in the next couple days when she dries out some.
10-7-11_Alicia.jpg

Another of my Violets was having the same issue as my love lettuces with the leaves tacoing down off the middle stem, it seemed like either an over-watering or nutrient deficiency, and I didn't want to water them with nutrients and then make the over-watering issue worse. I waited until the Violet was dry (its in a smaller container) and fed her. She still has droopy old leaves but the new growth seems to be recovering and is looking good. I am hopefully going to be able to water the LL's in the next day or two and hopefully they will pick back up.

All of the ladies have been growing 1/4" - 3/4" a day. Is this about what is to be expected at this stage, or should I be seeing better/more growth than this if my conditions were more ideal?

I was able to tie down my LST's again and they have already turned back up to the light to start to start growing again!

:thanks: for the interest!

Thank you Miss Bud!

I should have more of an update soon, busy busy.

Most ladies are good and healthy. The love lettuce and one violet is still looking droopy but all the new growth on them is looking good. Also the Violets that were single blades before are growing 3 blades now.

My topped Violet is also growing out now and looking good.

I will have more of an update with pictures as soon as I can!

Are your plants with the problems looking better? If not, you should return them where you got them. Usually single leaves like that is not a good thing on new clones. Usually it means they were stressed, have a disease or are just bad genetics. If they bounced back, kudos! Your other plants look awesome!

Alright, I'm finally able to get on and do another update!

420- Yes, they are finally bouncing back and looking much better, all of them have starting growing 5 fingered leaves now. I wouldn't really feel right returning a dozen free clones though. I feel a lot of the problems stemmed from them reverting back to vegetative state from flowing. In Ed's book there was a picture of a curled leaf that confirmed it as all of my ladies now have a leaf that looks like this:
10-8-11_C_topped_day_after_w-_revert_leaf.jpg

Some of them look like this one with a side finger curling and some others are just one big curl. Hopefully I am over the main troubles now and onto some good growth. I am glad to have you stopping by and offering your opinion/ advise, you are very knowledgeable and I don't mind shady people sticking around. lol

Miwa- I'm kinda there with ya on the Dutch Dragons being male, I just don't want to pull them until I know for sure... I'd be sick to find out I killed 2 girls (I will be keeping 1 of the 3 for pollen if they are male). I was able to get a better picture that made me 95% sure it's male but I hope to get everyone's opinion on it first.
10-24-11_DD_sex_shot.jpg

I re-planted a couple ladies that needed it, and in following along in a couple journals that are using coco coir and seem very happy with it, I decided to give it a try and see how it goes. First impressions are that I love it in comparison to the Pro-Mix. With the Pro-Mix it seems to have compacted after a couple waterings and I didn't notice much of that with the coco. One of the girls to get re-planted is the one I think is actually a Love Lettuce and not a Violet Kush. It's the one in the middle, if anyone can tell me their opinions of its strain I would appreciate it (I know the Violet on the right is mostly cut off but I am hoping someone can still tell). If a better picture would help more, let me know and I will try to get a better one. The unknown in the picture is the only "violet" that took off like that, the rest are shorter and look more indica than sativa.
10-25-11_compare_LL_VK.JPG

Well that is all the time I have for now, there is still plenty to update and I am hoping to get it all up today if possible. Thank you all for stopping by and for the continued interest.:thanks:

Yes those claws are male flowers.

The plants look like they are over watered or possibly healing from the transplant.

All in all a successful garden so far.

Good luck.

Well unfortunately I caught a couple bastards trying to knock up my girls so I had to teach them a lesson
10-27-11_lesson_to_males.jpg

Thank You 1970's G for reassuring me!! Much appreciated:thanks:
I still have one alive as I wanted to pollinate just a couple buds so I have seeds for next time. So I don't need to keep a full plant going, I am taking a clone of the one still alive and then will put that clone directly into 12/12. I am trying to use air layering to take the clone, I tried 3 clones off of the other 2 males but none of them made it. My air layer setup (in the first picture you can see where I cut away for roots to grow out):
11-1-11_AirLay_1.jpg
11-1-11_AirLay_2.jpg
11-1-11_AirLay_4_w-_opening.jpg

I have now re-planted all of my girls. There are a couple with all Pro-Mix, a couple with all Coco, and at least 1 of each combination: 75% coco, 75% Pro-Mix, and 50/50. While re-planting all of them I added in some ropes to make a wick system setup:
10-25-11_Wick_setup.jpg

The reservoir has already been emptied once and needed refilling and all of the girls are watered and growing decent. So far this seems to be the easiest, instead of watering every plant individually I can just fill the reservoir and be done.

That's it for now, I still have more updates than I do time!
:thanks: to all!

Things have been coming along nicely, I have my room mostly all set now. I installed a window a/c unit in the wall that also helps heat our basement whenever it kicks on, a radio playing classical/jazz all the time, and a reflective curtain setup to block off the 3 feet of room I'm not using making it a 5 X 5 instead of 5 X 8.

On 11/4/11 I switched my lighting over to 12/12, all plants have started flowering (had to remove 3 males). My seedling showed the first sign of being female 10/25/11 which was a day after I put them on a 9 hours of darkness schedule to prepare for 12/12 but was still re-planting some and getting the room set for the switchover. The seedling continued flowering since the switch to 9 hour and looks to be doing good. I will put pictures up next time I get a chance.

Final Posts 1/2

Hi all, sorry for the way too long absence. Life got pretty busy for a while and is finally calming down. We had to move and with my knees as bad as they are now and my wife being 7 months pregnant it took a lot of time and energy out of us.
I thankfully was able to let my grow finish before needing to move it. I still had to take it down early but they were not finishing anyways. They had gone 5 months and were still not more than 20% amber (seedling was about 30%).

I had a few problems along the way, I know some of the obvious being I was never able to upgrade my light as I was planning and having to much room for the light I did have.
However another big one was bugs. Fungus gnats invaded big time and spider mites made an appearance for a little while as well. The spider mites I took care of by going to a local health food and picking up rosemary oil extract, mixed it up with water and sprayed a couple times a day for a few days and they all seemed to go away. I mixed the solution a little too strong as it burned out the edges of the leaves on a lot of them.

The fungus gnats I picked up some neem oil and sprayed but it seemed to do little more than just make the little buggers subside for a bit then come back twice as strong. When I uprooted my plants I took a glance at the roots through my magnifying glass and saw just main roots with branch offs, there were not any of the super tiny root hairs. The fungus gnats must have had a shmorgishborg on them and I am assuming that is why the girls took so long to finish is they were not able to drink as well as they should have. That is also why I was left with a harsh finish is they were not able to fully flush themselves.

Final Posts 2/2

:thanks: "MissBud" for stopping in, sorry I was out at the time but I should be back for a while now. I have been/ will be catching up on everyone's journals soon, hope all is well with everyone!

As for the finished product it all came out a little harsh (some more than others). My Violet Kushs turned out to be good for hash only except for about 1/2 an ounce of smokeable. The hash turned out very nice, a light tan color and only stuck to itself, it also had a very nice taste and effects. The smokeable product was still the harshest of any.

The love lettuces were mid-grade, not a terrible smoke but still harsh. I got a little less than 1/2 an oz per plant (3 plants) and most of it was smokable, I still have about an oz of popcorn bud and trim to make hash with but haven't had time to get into it yet.

The seedling turned out best of any. Not terribly harsh and even a hint of descent taste and smell. I pulled about 1/2 an oz off and still have almost 1/2 an oz of popcorn and trim for hash. The effects are pretty good but too sativa-ey for me as I had to pull all of them earlier than I wanted to.

I am onto my next grow finally and off to a much much better start than last time, I am going smaller (only 6 plants in a 3' X 3' space) than last time and also want to grow organic.

I was not very happy with the fox farms and of course with the amazing results that I have seen with "Closet Farmer" and "1970's grower" and the awesome and continued support that I see Corey always giving, how could I possibly want to go with anything other than Blue Planet Nutrients. I will be getting in touch with Corey as soon as I can to get my full line of organic BPNs on their way to me.

Unfortunately the best I can hope for is 95% organic since the (hopeful) girls were already asking for food and I had to break down and give them 1/4 strength FF :(. They drank that and are on plain water again now, I'm hoping to have the monies for the BPNs before I need to feed them 1/2 strength FF.
I will post a link here to the new journal as soon as it get started! Glad to be back on, missed you :420: and all your patrons!!! :thanks: all that followed and look forward to seeing you in the new journal!

Thanks for the update!

You will enjoy the Blue Planet nutes. Great products.

Good luck with the new baby on way.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

Don't forget to head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too!

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom