Just found 30 seeds of 40 year old Acopulco Gold Original! Need advice

i have tried every trick in the book to get my old seeds to sprout.
no luck yet.

however they were not stored well at all. in stamp envelopes and ziplocs
in an attic for 35+ years im sure the summer months toasted them.

Will 35 year old seeds sprout

good luck

i have tried every trick in the book to get my old seeds to sprout.
no luck yet.

however they were not stored well at all. in stamp envelopes and ziplocs
in an attic for 35+ years im sure the summer months toasted them.

Will 35 year old seeds sprout

good luck
Just read your journal I'm sorry to hear none sprouted yet :( hopefully you can get a few to go eventually before you run out of beans :(

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

So, I just acquired 30 seeds from a tube that's been sealed up for 40 years. While I don't think I will have 100% germination what do a few of you pro's recommend to keep this strain going from these 30 seeds. In past grows I have successfully taken a female plant and flipped the sex on 1 branch with silver and got her to pollinate herself for feminized seeds so is this a good option once I see a good female pheno from this batch of seeds?

These seeds were taken from the original Acapulco Gold Strain way before everything started getting crossed all over the place. I want to do what I can to keep this strain around from this 30 seeds. Thanks
Im jealous.... the fact that you even have a chance is amazing..... I got my fingers crossed for you.... if you pull this off you will be a God among men....lol

Moreno valley underground

Wow, GREAT FIND!!!! I hope they sprout for you. As far as preserving the seeds and genetics goes, I would grow out a batch and let the strong males and females grow to maturity. Do the first grow just for seeds. Please, do not feminize them the first generation. Get a surplus of seeds and save this gem first. Once you have seeds, please share them in a way that is safe for you and the seeds. I think that is the best way to preserve those genes.

Yep if they sprout open pollination is a must as they might've degenerated over time, and you need to revive them by growing another generation, which technically might be F100 :laughtwo:

Wow great find. Have you read up in the sandpaper method ? Sounds doalble. You basicly make a tube out of sand paper(roll it up) with the abrasive side inside and pop a few seeds in there . Then you gently shake it so the sandpaper scrathches the surface of the seed and it makes for higher water penetration and higher chances of germination. Don't know if it was suggested :) good luck

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I hope they pop for you. If they do pop wont the strain have less thc then the strains that are current. I was always under the assumption that the reason the quality of these strains is so good is due to the fact they we have been manipulating strains to improve them? Anyways I was just thinking a strain that might have been a high quality sought after strain might basically be equivalent to some reggie today considering all the work that we have done to improve our current strains?..

Im not saying this will be the case for sure but I am asking if my theory sounds logical or illogical

Sent from my 5054N using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Which brings me to the question. What is a reliable seed bank that will deliver to u.s...keyword being RELIABLE

Well, ive always used herbies headsop with perfect delivery. Problem is they recently lost their cc company so they are cash only right now which sucks. There are many though. Others will chime in with some.

Sent from my android from outer space!

Which brings me to the question. What is a reliable seed bank that will deliver to u.s...keyword being RELIABLE

I've used picknmixseeds as well as truenorthseedbank. Both have been very reliable. I like picknmixseeds more though.

Wubbba Lubbba Dub Dub

I hope they pop for you. If they do pop wont the strain have less thc then the strains that are current. I was always under the assumption that the reason the quality of these strains is so good is due to the fact they we have been manipulating strains to improve them? Anyways I was just thinking a strain that might have been a high quality sought after strain might basically be equivalent to some reggie today considering all the work that we have done to improve our current strains?..

Im not saying this will be the case for sure but I am asking if my theory sounds logical or illogical

You may be surprised. AG was one of the first strains tested at 20% THC. The real find here comes from the fact that AG (real AG) has been considered among the absolute best tasting strains to ever grow on earth. The mild coffee like flavor and what an amazing cerebral high. Over the last 40 years of breeding these pure strains often get lost. AG is an awesome strain if you can find the real stuff.

On a side note. I have a new tent on the way just for these. The tent is a 2 room tent. That will come in handy to try to sprout several at a time and if I get more than one the 2 rooms will come in handy for separating males from females so I can select which ones mate if we get so lucky to get a few to pop.
It's not a real big tent but 4x4 flower room and 18"x48" seedling area. All 6.5' high.

So, I just acquired 30 seeds from a tube that's been sealed up for 40 years. While I don't think I will have 100% germination what do a few of you pro's recommend to keep this strain going from these 30 seeds. In past grows I have successfully taken a female plant and flipped the sex on 1 branch with silver and got her to pollinate herself for feminized seeds so is this a good option once I see a good female pheno from this batch of seeds?

These seeds were taken from the original Acapulco Gold Strain way before everything started getting crossed all over the place. I want to do what I can to keep this strain around from this 30 seeds. Thanks

How cool Is that. I really wish more people would keep some of the original genetics around. So you an really see how much you've Improved. That and who wouldn't want to try the same stuff that got the hippies feeling great.

I hope your seeds pop and you can get the genetics rolling. I'd love to acquire some in the future.

You may be surprised. AG was one of the first strains tested at 20% THC. The real find here comes from the fact that AG (real AG) has been considered among the absolute best tasting strains to ever grow on earth. The mild coffee like flavor and what an amazing cerebral high. Over the last 40 years of breeding these pure strains often get lost. AG is an awesome strain if you can find the real stuff.

On a side note. I have a new tent on the way just for these. The tent is a 2 room tent. That will come in handy to try to sprout several at a time and if I get more than one the 2 rooms will come in handy for separating males from females so I can select which ones mate if we get so lucky to get a few to pop.
It's not a real big tent but 4x4 flower room and 18"x48" seedling area. All 6.5' high.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Good luck and keep us posted.

Heres a little tease. Theres a few (2 or 3) im sure wont pop because they look cracked but ya never know. All of them are slightly smaller by about 1/4 th from what seeds I normally do deal with. Y hat being said I think they look pretty damn good.
420-magazine-mobile1511937480.jpg

Sent from my android from outer space!

Do you ever feel like you're being watched?
I do believe there's a bunch of members "rooting" for you:high-five:

lol. If I get these to go and can get a male and female to get freaky, :circle-of-love: then I won't be too stingy with hoarding all the seeds for myself. I will keep plenty for myself though:high-five:

I'm growing some right now 2weeks into flowering.. to me it's a pretty fast strain you're pretty lucky to have that many.. I hope you get a monster yield !

Back
Top Bottom