Keffka's Recycling, KOS Blue Thai, Herbies Seeds Apple Betty, Runtz Punch

I am initiating this journal since this grow will encompass the initial setup of my LOS system. This will be a living soil setup that is continuously recycled. The beginning recipe will be really simple since it will be coming fresh out of the bag.

Once the grow is complete I will cover the process of recycling the root balls and composting the soil for the next run. This soil will become more and more effective as I recycle and reuse it more and more allowing me to reach the genetic max potential of my plants.

That’s a while off, but I will be documenting the journey to get there.

To start with my equipment and environment are the same as my previous journals. I am going to do one 15 gallon geopot and am undecided whether I want to do two more 15s or three 10s. We’ll see. I did my time in smaller pots and don’t plan on growing in anything smaller for a while. Height may be an issue in such large pots, hopefully I can keep them shorter and bushier.

I’ll be running Blue Thai from Kingdom Organic Seeds, The Revs seed bank. I’ll also be running Apple Betty and Runtz Punch from sponsor @Herbies Seeds which I got as a reward for the previous grow journal.

This journal will have lots of information and knowledge dropped in it and all are welcome to join in, follow along, converse, drop links, etc. as long as it’s on topic and/or closely related to growing.

Ask questions. Leave comments, or just silently stalk along, whatever you do, I hope you enjoy yourselves.

welcome to the party Az! Settle in, this one’s gonna be a long one. I plan on applying my level of detail to the entire process of establishing a LOS medium.

@Gee64 and I are kicking my recipe back and forth a bit in PMs but I guess we should probably do it here. That’s your official tag for this run Gee lol.

So far what we’re looking at is this:

I have been looking for a decent potting mix to kickstart the grow. I like the Stonington blend stuff but 30$ for 1.5 CU feet adds up quickly. The extra money for the “supersoil” doesn’t make much sense when I can turn any organic potting mix into super soil in 30 days with items I have on hand. Also, the store I frequent tends to store the stongington outdoors in the elements on old pallets. Also also, as Gee and I figured out, Stonington tends to lack decent magnesium out of the bag and almost always needs it in additional amounts.

So, for those reasons I decided to look elsewhere. I went back and read TLO over again and saw that Rev mentions Fox Farms Ocean Forest by name multiple times as his previous go to soil. Ocean Forest is easily available around me, is stored indoors at my shop, and is one of the more frequently restocked soils. Plus it’s only 18$ per 1.5 CU ft at the store so there’s a considerable savings as well.

So I went with Fox Farms Ocean Forest as my initial soil. This will also make it easier for me when I need additional soil. I can keep the same soil type when adding new.

As I stated in the beginning. The initial mix will be relatively basic since I’m using the soil fresh out of the bag. When I recycle this soil is when the recipes will get more complex. I’ll be using larger pots so the need to cook in a bunch of amendments just isn’t there yet. If I was going to run smaller pots I would cook in additional stuff to give it some extra oomph but that won’t be necessary.

The current initial recipe is:

18 gallons Ocean Forest
12 gallons Perlite
6 gallons Coco coir
6 gallons Castings
1 Cup greensand

There’s also a chance I will be adding in Dolomite lime, oyster flour, gypsum and some all purpose. I’m not fully committed yet though so I’m just getting the numbers out there kicking around.

I’ll be using layers and spikes like last time for extra oomph. They’re not required to complete this grow but if I want to get the most out of these genetics I’ll need them especially with how large the buds will become.

Currently I am cleaning up from the last grow. I’ll be emptying, cleaning, and labeling bins so I can have some good organization to ensure proper recycling. This method Im using can be accomplished with as little space as a small bedroom or as much as an entire warehouse to work with.

Myco as always will play a role as well as AACT. This is probably my favorite part of the grow. Plotting and planning everything then setting it in motion.

Lets get the party started!😎Rev's seeds should give us some beauty phenos❤️

I’m excited. I’ll definitely be topping this time. If I had unlimited space I’d let them go and just prune but I struggled with space in a 3 gallon at 5-6 feet in height. I can’t afford that kind of size at 10-15 gallons 😂 Even if they stayed at a foot per gallon it’d still be too much.

Gonna have to top, tie down, and keep them as low and wide as possible. All 3 strains are indica dominant so hopefully that’ll help but I’m not holding my breath on it.

I’m excited. I’ll definitely be topping this time. If I had unlimited space I’d let them go and just prune but I struggled with space in a 3 gallon at 5-6 feet in height. I can’t afford that kind of size at 10-15 gallons 😂 Even if they stayed at a foot per gallon it’d still be too much.

Gonna have to top, tie down, and keep them as low and wide as possible. All 3 strains are indica dominant so hopefully that’ll help but I’m not holding my breath on it.
You thinking of quadlining again?
Octolining?

You thinking of quadlining again?
Octolining?

Yeah. I’m gonna try to keep it even lower than the first journal this time. I’m gonna watch its growth and call it as it goes. If it’s growing wild I’ll top it up until 16, otherwise I’m gonna go with 8 colas.

Here’s a breakdown of each strain being grown.. Also, as a side note, the effects of the strain don’t mean very much to me. I rarely experience the same effects/highs as others when consuming the same herbs/drugs, most likely due to my ADHD.

Blue Thai by Kingdom Organic Seeds (The Rev from True Living Organics seed bank)

IMG_5229.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg
IMG_5239.jpeg

Currently I am planning to sprout under 12/12 for the regular seeds for the first 10 days above ground so I can sex the plants earlier than average. Things may change but we’ll see.

Runtz Punch by Herbies Seeds
IMG_5232.jpeg
IMG_5233.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg
IMG_5240.jpeg

Ill sit in the back so folks won't kick my seat behind me...:popcorn: especially you organic freaks
Just playing, carry on

What’s up double G, you’re always welcome. I started the journal so I could get my thoughts and recipes organized since I plan on this being a longer and more elaborate process. Last journal was over 60 pages though so who knows what’ll happen on this one lol.

I’m excited to grow in proper sized containers with strong genetics, should be an entertaining adventure. I also plan on training the crap out of these plants so that’s always fun.

I am initiating this journal since this grow will encompass the initial setup of my LOS system. This will be a living soil setup that is continuously recycled. The beginning recipe will be really simple since it will be coming fresh out of the bag.

Once the grow is complete I will cover the process of recycling the root balls and composting the soil for the next run. This soil will become more and more effective as I recycle and reuse it more and more allowing me to reach the genetic max potential of my plants.

That’s a while off, but I will be documenting the journey to get there.

To start with my equipment and environment are the same as my previous journals. I am going to do one 15 gallon geopot and am undecided whether I want to do two more 15s or three 10s. We’ll see. I did my time in smaller pots and don’t plan on growing in anything smaller for a while. Height may be an issue in such large pots, hopefully I can keep them shorter and bushier.

I’ll be running Blue Thai from Kingdom Organic Seeds, The Revs seed bank. I’ll also be running Apple Betty and Runtz Punch from sponsor @Herbies Seeds which I got as a reward for the previous grow journal.

This journal will have lots of information and knowledge dropped in it and all are welcome to join in, follow along, converse, drop links, etc. as long as it’s on topic and/or closely related to growing.

Ask questions. Leave comments, or just silently stalk along, whatever you do, I hope you enjoy yourselves.
Perfect write up K, just one thing I'm not familiar with is recycling rootballs? Guess you can compost pretty much anything. I just wasn't aware. Cheers bud

Perfect write up K, just one thing I'm not familiar with is recycling rootballs? Guess you can compost pretty much anything. I just wasn't aware. Cheers bud

Yep.. You just gotta break them up a bit.. the roots are perfect organic matter for composting and are filled with cannabis specific nutrients.

Rev's Blue Thai write-up states its a real calcium pig. You ready for that?

Yeah.. picked up a couple pounds of oyster shells today.. can’t find oyster flour so I’ll probably throw some fish bone meal in with the mulch. They’re all indica leans so I already planned on giving them a bit extra ppms, probably put my dolomite lime to use.

Yep.. You just gotta break them up a bit.. the roots are perfect organic matter for composting and are filled with cannabis specific nutrients.

Yeah.. picked up a couple pounds of oyster shells today.. can’t find oyster flour so I’ll probably throw some fish bone meal in with the mulch. They’re all indica leans so I already planned on giving them a bit extra ppms, probably put my dolomite lime to use.
Nice! Oyster shells and dolomite. 2 great ingredients👍

Nice! Oyster shells and dolomite. 2 great ingredients👍

I’ve been looking for soft rock phosphate.. I can find Rock Phosphate and SuperPhos but not SRP.. I was looking online though and apparently Down To Earth sells two versions of Rock Phosphate at 0-3-0 and 0-13-0 I think one of those will be SRP.. I did learn though that it’s also called Calphos so I may have to return to the store with that information.

It’s a bit frustrating though because all of the growing stores and garden stores I go to seemed to be stocked with employees that grow in very specific ways (hydro and synthetic constantly), none of which are fully organic like us so when I start asking questions they all have a blank stare and don’t know what I’m talking about. It’s happened with Hydrolyzed fish, SRP, Gypsum, greensand, azomite, Vermiculite and a few other things so far and it’s annoying. It’s always disheartening when I know more than the employees.. Why can’t everyone be equally autistic?! 🤣🤣

Sorry I forgot to mention... SRP is calphos. It can be called colloidal phosphate too. Its a natural mix of high cal hi phos dust. Its great stuff and you don't need much. Its not one of those ingredients where you toss in extra just cuz. Its potent phosphorus. It needs to be cooked in, not dressed. It gets better with recycling so if you over do it then down the road it gets to be way too much. But in moderation you see a difference in side by sides.

Back
Top Bottom