Landrace Genetics 101

Way back in 1970 my best friend and I grew the original Tennessee Thunder F--k. It was by accident. I had crossed by happenstance, Seeds from the Hindu Kush region of India and seeds from Thai sticks bought in Vietnam( usually mostly seedless and a dollar each in Vietnam), possible also crossed with a good Mexican sativa. Decades later the Hindu Kush OG I tried was very similar in taste and almost as good by my memory. In those days a 18 -19 year old could not find many resources with information on cannabis strains or growing tech. We just planted on terraced bluff side beds or in forest clearings using only organic materials taken from the base of hollow trees in the forest for fertilizer. We never watered or trained the plants , maybe just thinned them out a bit. Cannabis sold for $15 per oz. in those days and Thai sticks were $20 each. We had people driving us crazy to get it for $25 per matchbox full(a "nickel" bag usually then). We did not know much of anything and by pure accident it was the best pot I ever grew, to this day! We harvested it too soon and it had no viable seeds we found, even though we did not try to grow females only, that much, back then. We just planted and came back to harvest usually or check it a time or two. Sometimes just pure dumb luck strikes us! We did not clone then ourselves and it was a one time wonder. That has made growing a fun adventure for me! You never really know what you might get, even when you think you screwed up! Today with all the resources at our fingertips it seems very different and scientific. But Using various strains and methods and happenstance can surprise us with excellence or so/so results, unexpectantly sometimes! You never know when you might come out with the best strain ever ! Good luck to all of you my friends and fellow gardeners! I love landrace strains of good old varieties as much as the new hybrids, even when the THC may be slightly lower sometimes. The variety of " highs" or effectiveness of pain and stress relief is part of God's natural diversity of creation. Cannabis has been doing it's own thing and being manipulated by man for 5000 years or so they say. Natural processes( without our help) may have developed some of the best varieties!
remember those times - brings back memories

Ace's Panama Frosty? Yes!

IMG_2117.JPG

Where is your Panama from? What breeder?
Bob was gifted a flower containing the seed at the emerald cup in 2018 from snow high seed.
This was used to create,
Red Death( Punta Roja x Killer Malawi) x Panama Red.
If you ever on the gram bostonbobma. He creates some landrace fire.

Panama by Ace
Day 67 since flip.
Hydro flood and drain.

Two different phenos. I call the tall ones green and the shorter one red.

Panama Day 67 flower.JPG

Panama by Ace. Day 67 flower.

Panama Day 67 flower (4).JPG

Panama by Ace. Day 67 flower. Red pheno

Panama Day 67 flower (5).JPG

Panama by Ace. Day 67 flower. Green pheno

Panama Day 67 flower (3).JPG

Panama by Ace. Day 67 flower. Red pheno

keep them comming - believe Panamam is a long flower time ? 12 weeks
I'm figuring near 100 days. It took 16 days to show pistils from flip.
I don't have anything waiting to go into the tray so we'll just watch for them to show us when they are ready. :cheesygrinsmiley:

This plant looks like you squeezed every last bit she had to offer out of her. Nice.
Indeed she's a beautiful pheno. I had to harvest my small crop today as the weather here in BC is supposed to take a turn for the worst tomorrow night. Even if I'm harvesting a few days early the plants are covered in lots opaque, white trichomes, so I imagine they'll be potent enough for me. One is so sticky little lace wing flies are stuck to it just like those old long fly sticky traps. The cola in the pic is from a volunteer plant that sprouted up by my compost pile last April. I believe its likely Zamaldelica x [Zamadelica X (Durban Poison x Big Freeze)]. If so it's a nice fast maturing mostly sativa plant with colas bigger than pure sativa. I have three more growing in my garden, all were volunteers. So, today I'm chopping them and looking forward to their great high, I just love organic outdoor grown pot. The genetics of these volunteers originated in landrace strains from Reunion Island, Malawi, Thailand, Durban, RSA and most likely Afghanistan.

Oct 2022 1.jpg

Oct 2022 3.jpg

Indeed she's a beautiful pheno. I had to harvest my small crop today as the weather here in BC is supposed to take a turn for the worst tomorrow night. Even if I'm harvesting a few days early the plants are covered in lots opaque, white trichomes, so I imagine they'll be potent enough for me. One is so sticky little lace wing flies are stuck to it just like those old long fly sticky traps. The cola in the pic is from a volunteer plant that sprouted up by my compost pile last April. I believe its likely Zamaldelica x [Zamadelica X (Durban Poison x Big Freeze)]. If so it's a nice fast maturing mostly sativa plant with colas bigger than pure sativa. I have three more growing in my garden, all were volunteers. So, today I'm chopping them and looking forward to their great high, I just love organic outdoor grown pot. The genetics of these volunteers originated in landrace strains from Reunion Island, Malawi, Thailand, Durban, RSA and most likely Afghanistan.

Oct 2022 1.jpg

Oct 2022 3.jpg
wow !! can't wait till I run this

This year I grew a cross I made last year, (Zamaldelica x Purple Satelite) and although the two plants grew into females the watering was sporadic and they didn't get very big. I suspect given proper conditions the plants would have been much taller and bushier. Nevertheless, I can't complain about the high. I microwaved a small bud to give a preview of its potential and I was quite amazed at its strength and clarity. It was like looking at a TV screen into another world. There was at the same time what felt like a space between me and the screen, I could see clearly and focus on what I was looking at, but I still found my mind wandering off into its own little rabitt holes and I'd have to concentrate to get back on track; It was a tad psychedelic. And it certainly was clear and somewhat warmer than Zamaldelica or Golden Tiger. I think the addition of Zamaldelica (Reunion Island X Golden Tiger (Malawi x Thai) and the Oaxacan Gold genes really kicked up the psychoactivity ratio, and the Nepalese contributed a little warmth you don't usually find in Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger. So all in all a very good cross and visually the purple colour is a nice addition too. I couldn't help myself so I pollinated a small branch with my Golden Tiger x Sinai pollen. Maybe I'll grow one of those seeds out next year.

IMG_20221017_154125274_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom