Landrace Genetics 101

Really cool, man. I think you're right I grew some seeds from small private grows including my own and they're usually fine and very often even better than commercial ones. I mean what can go wrong? The worst a hermie here and there or a dud, but you're gonna find some beautiful phenos too for sure. I decided to buy the Red Leb seeds eventually and I'm stoked to see if there's gonna be anything worth writing home about :thumb:

Well, the seeded weed was from an indoor grow, so the seeds are self crosses, or maybe a herm set loose from another strain nearby and they are some exotic cross? It was harvested in early January so my guess is that people went on vacation and some herms popped open some male pods and dumped pollen around. At least it is not from an outdoor grow that could result in seeds from a hemp male on a farm a mile away. They had four strains there with seeds: Durban Poison, Blue Dream, Super Silver Haze, and Tahoe OG. I just got an eighth of the seeded Durban on a Wednesday Sale for $13 with tax. I smoked a bowl and it is just like of school skinny Thai stick Thai. Strong, heady, and 2 hit weed. I must be getting even more weed tolerant though, as the label says it is 19% THC and 0.1% CBD. It has a warning about the product getting you high, and the effects being instant. Imagine that! Damn MJ with warning labels now. I wonder what a bag of Mexican paraquat weed would be labeled as today? Deadly, avoid, but hey, we sprayed it all over our combat soldiers in Viet Nam!

So as it turns out, I will be getting some Durban Poison seeds originating from ZA later this month as well. I have some photos of them growing indoors, and they are looking like classic sativas.

So this year's grows are all going to be landraces... two strains of Lebanese red, South India Kerala ganja, ZA Durban Poison, and these local Durban Poison x self or ??? Now if it will only stop raining here!!! Enough moisture already!

Doing some digging around about Lebanese growing history... (asking myself, is it really a landrace?)

I would consider it to be so, at least in practical terms. Each year, they planted seeds that their plants had produced the year before, getting a new generation each time - and that time span equates to a lot of generations (in human terms, lol). One can assume that they favored seeds from plants that had characteristics the growers considered to be favorable; they would have selected for plants which fared well in the environment/climate/etc. that they were grown in (and probably increased visible trichome production, since they made hashish), with open pollination providing variety. Someone might have returned after having been away for a few decades, and observed that the cannabis was recognizably the same - only better in some way or other.

in 1945 the Lebanese authorities claim to have destroyed 22 million square meters of Cannabis being cultivated there.

That seems like a large number. Well, it is, but... Lebanon is around 4,036 square miles in area. That's 10,453,000,000 square meters (I think).

I suppose that it's possible, but I rather doubt that the line would have been completely eradicated. People would have kept seeds.

When does a strain stop being classified as "merely" an IBL and begin being referred to as a landrace?

No drug enforcement agencies in the middle east during WWII that I am aware of.

Lol.

A massive world war was raging then. Likely this information was just recorded in some military ledger someplace.

My guess is that they weren't thinking "cannabis," they were thinking "hemp" - a valid wartime target. Source for rope, clothing, other related equipment, nutrition, et cetera.

It USED to be cheap to live there as well. We paid $400 a month for a 2 bedroom house there. Try $4 GRAND a month rent there now.

I still see the odd two - or three - bedroom house renting at $400/month hereabouts. They are becoming rare, and are usually located "out in the country" (which I would generally consider to be a plus). Used to be cheaper... In the late '90s, I was renting an old three-bedroom farmhouse with ~50 acres, small barn, well, creek, meat was as close as aiming from the back porch (lol). I thought it was kind of expensive at $350/month but the fact that people tended to call before driving out was priceless ;) .

I wonder if I ordered some Oaxaca cheese, would they decorate it with <COUGH>hemp<COUGH> seeds from the Oaxacan Highlands... ?

Got my order from Ace:
PCK x Erdpurt 100% Indica
Bubba Hash 100% Indica
Mangobiche kush 50% Indica 50% Sativa
Zamaldelica 100% Sativa

Ill have a few projects starting soon.

Can you vaccum seal seeds for long term storage?

Yes, and it will be better for them because then you won't have to worry about humidity. I've read that you want to store them in low humidity and temperature, in a dark place. So the vegetable crisper of a fridge is great, because it won't get them below 35, but the humidity there is the highest in the fridge--and fridges in general have too high a humidity level.

For long term storage (years) I would (do) store them in the freezer. But that can invite humidity too- at least when you take them in and out it does. So vacuum sealing would work well. Till you need to get at them anyway... I store them in a sealed container with some desiccant packs.

Good infos about landraces .. And i would like to ask you couple of questions if you let me conradino ..
Greece and Turkey is at the Sativa side in the world map do you have any information about Greece Sativas and Turkish Sativa and indicas.. They still have pure unique sativas in there ??

Good infos about landraces .. And i would like to ask you couple of questions if you let me conradino ..
Greece and Turkey is at the Sativa side in the world map do you have any information about Greece Sativas and Turkish Sativa and indicas.. They still have pure unique sativas in there ??
There's a Turkish landrace available on the market actually.

I remember the Blonde Lebanese from the 1970's and it was an uplifting high but still very mellow mood.

In '78, I had a hitchiker leave his pipe and golf ball sized hash rock in my glove compartment. I'd only been smoking weed about 6 months- this stuff was WAY better. I drove that street every day for 2 weeks hoping to return it. It was a sweet mellow high, almost like smoking kief. Slightly clayey. as oppsed to dry and airy. In retrospect, it was probaby Lebanese Blond. I milked that hash rock for something like 9 months - lost it inside the lining of my coat (when it was grape sized), and discovered it again about 6 months later. I would love, love, love to try that hash rock again. My brother in law tried to get me to break it out at a bar one night. I said I wasn't going to smoke up my best stuff with girls we just met at a bar and handed him my hip flask of Hennessey. The next day he told me it was because Elvis Costello was there.

Where can i get them ? And what do you think about them ? Are they potent or taste smell good ? Do you have any information about Turkish landrace?
It's provided by Underground Seed Collective, the same bunch that released Colombian Gold '72 I'm growing. They collected seeds on a road trip. The plant is a pure indica with stocky silhouette and fat leaves that get pretty dark in flowering. It's similar to original Afghan plants. Flowering is up to 7-8 weeks indoor.

Back
Top Bottom