Lemon Skunk First Grow + Poor Man's Grow

trailblazer

Hi all this is my first official post in the forums, i have been holding out until i felt that i had read and gathered enough info for me to feel confident in contributing.

Anyway its lemon skunk feminised seeds, and i have built my own stealth grow, i know this may not be the best, however it works within my limitations at the moment.

I welcome all to comment and would like to thank Tnoldon for his input into the site and every one else's poor man grows! Also forgot to mention a thank u to funnystyle!

Firstly i built a cupboard that i got for a good price, this is three draws and the top is still a draw but the middle is just the front of the draw and the bottom is a hollow draw.

I got my seeds in the mail and when i opened them two pinged into the air and god knows where it went so i found one and down to four seeds.

I started with reading on here and knew i needed lights so i did some reading and decided on CFL's the first being 40w 1000 lumens, the second i installed today is 18w energy producing 100watt light and 1100 lumens.

I have some knowledge growing plants but in the form of chill's.

So i used the paper towel method of germination and they took two to three days for all of them to sprout, i used sterilised seedling soil and their still in this now.

At the beginning i just used natural light as i didn't have the cupboard and i didn't want to invest in something that could fail.

IMAG01502.jpg

After this i then built the cupboard and modified it to fit the plant pot and lights. I used reflecting sheeting and some reflective tape, i needed to keep all of the light out as to keep it stealth.

IMAG01535.jpg

IMAG01542.jpg

This stayed like the above picture for a week, and i lost one more plant due to me not planting the seed deep enough.

IMAG01563.jpg

Three days ago, i introduced another light but this was producing too much heat, its also forty watt. It could still be used as i put more reflective tape on the draw at the top:

IMAG01575.jpg

This also helped keep light leaking out, below is a link to another image if anyone else is interested to how i stopped light getting out of the top draw.
IMAG01583.jpg

IMAG01632.jpg

This is how it is at present, it looks better than it is in the image :)

I have read that the lemon skunk grows tall however mine is really stretching now but i have introduced the new light that i hope will fix this issue. I am trying to keep the 24 hour light method and introduce 12/12 when it is necessary. However this light seems very strong and i think the leaves might start to be drooping.

I have been spraying them with water now and again but nothing heavy. Should i introduce nutes soon?

If these fail i have more on the way.

Peace to all and please comment!

Re: lemon skunk first grow + poor mans grow

what it do!
that 40w only produces 1k lumens? HD has pretty good cfls for a good price imo... both 6500k and 2700k lights...
i use the 23w(100w equivalent) at 1750 lumens for 6500k ones 1pair $5-6, and 23w(same) at 1600 lumens for the 2700k ones 4pack $7-8
their y-splitters are $2.50 each but youd be able to connect at least 4 of those 23watters youd be producing near 7k lumens
for less than a dub you could build yourself a nice efficient reflector plus youd save floor space that desk lamp takes up :)

can you take some pictures of the drawer? how big is that thing? looks pretty tiny from those pictures man
i would try and save as much space possible and lst the hell out of em :) just my thought

here check out DjMattz grow
super low with super fad buds :)
P1040728_Medium_.JPG

P1040725_Medium_.JPG

*you could also get those sockets that attach to the sides for $1.80 i think...

:peace: lets getem grown!

Re: lemon skunk first grow + poor mans grow

Wow funnystyle! I hope my LST turns out like that dudes!!

And :welcome: to 420magazine! Glad you decided to take the plunge. Seems you started right by reading first, because a lot of problems can be avoided this way! Your sprouts are lookin nice and healthy! :goodjob:

How tall do you plan on getting those girls? Having them all in the same pot really limits you to size, because 3 plants will fill that pot very quickly.

Good luck with everything bro!

Re: Motionmans lemon skunk first grow + poor mans grow

Firstly Funnystyle OMG thats what i want! however lemon skunk has the tendencies to stretch quickly and with my knowledge of lights not perfect and limited i think i have a better choice in lights now so they may have been straining themselves however it may be too much! Again my country it is extremely hard to get that sort of light, i can get adjustable lamps but nothing in the size i need. I have included the draw below:

IMAG01612.jpg

You're right about the space limit it is tight but i don't have the possibility of expansion at this time! The lamps are a pain in the *** but their safe and i can leave them unattended.

Smokeymacpots:

Thanks for you'r input dude really appreciated! I did realise the space problems within that pot size but i honestly didn't expect to get this far and still have some stems ha ha! so i will get to that problem when i need to, i also have more seeds on the way and i will treat them more seriously if i need to plant them.

When should i start nuteing them?

And i can keep the plants short by keeping them on 24 and switching them to 12/12 early is that right???

I wouldn't add any nutes until they are at least 2-3weeks old, from sprout. Anything before this can cause you some serious nute burn issues.

And there are tons of options to keep those babies short and bushy. Pruning methods such as LST, topping, FIM, and supercropping can all help you control the height. But if you want to just rely on light schedules to keep them short, you can do 12/12 from seed. There are a few journals around here that exhibit this style, and they seem to get great results. Even under 12/12 from seed the plant will still veg for about 3-4 weeks, but then it will start to flower, leaving you with a nice short plant. (from what I understand)

that drawer has mad potential of creating beautiful plants man... :)
and with the lights, i would ask your local hardware store for those and if not exact ones, you can try and look for the ones that produce the most lumens for wattage use...
u wana get as much lumens outa cfls as possible and as close as 2-3 inches away... in your case i would do this gradually since theyre still seedlings...
and to nuting, i wouldnt right now.... that soils probably filled with goodies for a few weeks...
man i like the drawer, but a stretchy plant might be a problem.... i would definately do some type of training, topping, fim, etc...
the thing about keepn the lights on 24 i never really got... i tried it the first time for a few days or something.... but i dont know cant tella a difference... i just try and give my plants what i think is like mother natures light cycle.... someone gave me pretty good insight about light leaks and moonlight so dont worry too much about lightleaks later on down the road buddy
i would veg for a few weeks and wait til u see more budsites forming, lst the girls, then trigger bloom... thats if youre worried about stretch...
are you in a hurry for meds? also the plant is more capable of staying short when the cfls are real close to the plant, so keep that in mind
:peace:

Hmmm i have read about the 12/12 method and i think it seems to be the best method for me, i don't like the idea of messing with nutes. Are post some more pictures tomorrow of any changes and keep this thread going until the end of good or bad, got more seeds coming tomorrow but think are let them keep until needed, i was thinking about germinating one for a separate plant in a bio degradable pot. Good idea or not?

funnystyle:

I agree with the light method, sometimes i look in their and im like. aaaa they dont need all that light, what i might do is switch off ne light over night and just do that.

What you and smokey pots suggest is the trimming methods etc, and are look into that when necessary but for now i will be using the 12/12 method i think. maybe a bit more than that now and again to see what suits best. I dont know i get this motherly feeling ha ha!

I intend to veg for a few weeks at the very least!

And you like the draw?? ha ha Im well impressed with it! It's like opening the sun! its really therapeutic!

AGAIN thanks guys for the response it's really appreciated and welcomed!

awesome well as i sed earlier im going to post more pictures tomorrow to show any more development

Hey there motionman just thought I'd stop by and check out your grow. First off congrats on starting your grow and the lemon skunk is a great strain! I can see that your seeds are stretching and I had the same problem a lot worse then yours! Lets start with this...DO NOT ADD NUTES YET! you have to wait until its at least a few weeks old and then only add 1/4 strength, or if your soil has a ton of nutes just hold off on the nutes for a month or so, or you will kill them

Remember that most of the light coming from the CLF's comes from the side not from the top so you might want to adjust accordingly to get the most light possible to your seedlings. As far as the 24/7 or 18/6 I started with 27/7 and moved to 18/6 there isn't much difference that I could see and you'll save money on the electric bill

Another thing is that I see your plants are all in the same pot I would try and transfer them to individual pots at some point. What I did because my plants stretched was when I transferred them I buried them to just under the first node and that will help and create new root growth!

I for one have made a great many mistakes from my first grow and I've learned a ton! I will be here to see you get to harvest and if you have any questions at all I will do my best to answer them. You can also check out my grow my lemon skunk went through hell and know she is doing great. You might be able to learn from my mistakes lol

Ok sorry if I wrote to much ;)

This is what I like to see. People learning, and paying it forward to the next newbie. Good job tnoldon! You explained everything very well! Best part about this site, for me, is when I can help someone. I'm sure you will find it rewarding as well.

This is what I like to see. People learning, and paying it forward to the next newbie. Good job tnoldon! You explained everything very well! Best part about this site, for me, is when I can help someone. I'm sure you will find it rewarding as well.

Thanks Smokey! I'm glad to be able to help someone else and I may not have all the answers, but I sure as hell know the answers to what not to do lol and that can come in handy. And If that can help someone else and save just one plant well thats good enough for me :) Everyone has helped me a ton on this site and I will gladly return the favor to others!

Hey there motionman just thought I'd stop by and check out your grow. First off congrats on starting your grow and the lemon skunk is a great strain! I can see that your seeds are stretching and I had the same problem a lot worse then yours! Lets start with this...DO NOT ADD NUTES YET! you have to wait until its at least a few weeks old and then only add 1/4 strength, or if your soil has a ton of nutes just hold off on the nutes for a month or so, or you will kill them

Remember that most of the light coming from the CLF's comes from the side not from the top so you might want to adjust accordingly to get the most light possible to your seedlings. As far as the 24/7 or 18/6 I started with 27/7 and moved to 18/6 there isn't much difference that I could see and you'll save money on the electric bill

Another thing is that I see your plants are all in the same pot I would try and transfer them to individual pots at some point. What I did because my plants stretched was when I transferred them I buried them to just under the first node and that will help and create new root growth!

I for one have made a great many mistakes from my first grow and I've learned a ton! I will be here to see you get to harvest and if you have any questions at all I will do my best to answer them. You can also check out my grow my lemon skunk went through hell and know she is doing great. You might be able to learn from my mistakes lol

Ok sorry if I wrote to much ;)

Hey tnoldon i have been following your thread for a while anyway and your thread is the reason i created mine. You mention cfl's are most effective at the side? so they are not efficient directly?

The reason they are in the same pot is because i didn't think i would get this far.

Is there anything you would recommend that would stop or help the stretching?

Thanks for your advice it helps and the more information the better as far as i'm concerned.

:)

Thank you that means a lot to me bro :) I'm glad you did create a journal it will help you out a lot and if you have problems it will be easy to reference from past posts as to what went wrong

1st:
CFL's are not efficient directly, barley any light comes out from the top, all the light that is produced comes from the side or thats at least where most all of the light comes from.

Solution!:
I would try and take the reflector off of your lamp and hang it vertically beside your plant you might want to get another clf for the other side also. You can get a cfl socket at lows for $1.50 and a lamp cord for $5 and make your own hanging light.

2nd:
I felt the same way with my growth, Didn't think I would make it past the first week...But know I'm 1.5 months into it! Ok so here is what you can do from now on. act as if you're in it for the long run! and start the seeds in there own beer cup with GOOD soil I can't stress that enough get FoxFarmOceanForest its like $18 but it is worth it. Please try and avoid anything MiricalGrow

Solution!: Good news is they are far enough apart it looks like to me. I'm no expert but what I would do while the root isn't to big is get a garden shover and dig as deep as you can around each plant and gently remove it, then transplant it immediately into new soil in a beer cup or something of the sort. As I learned theses babies can handle a lot and it may shock them but they will bounce right back

3rd:
The best way to stop the stretching is to move your plants as close as you can to the CFL's remember the CFL's aren't as hot as other bulbs and you can get the plants within 2inches of them without burning. Also when you transplant them it is ok to burry them just under the first OVAL leaves about 1/2 inch under and this will also cause the buried part of the plant to start new roots!

Solution!....read above lol

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask I'm always asking questions! they're plenty of people all here to help you that have a ton of knowledge!

Back
Top Bottom