Low Budget Fluorescent Grow

1/4/17 seed was put straight in soil (I have good success this way, so I don't use paper towel or any methods like that just because it works for me.)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ok. Bare with me on this first journal. I realized things will be way out of place, lol. I'll get figured out at some point. So let me give some info on my current setup.

-Blooming closet (5ft wide, 2ft deep, 7ft in height)
LIGHTING
-Two 2ft fluorescent fixtures with grolux t8 tubes mounted to sides of closet (my hopes were to penetrate slightly more to the lower bud sights than the lights overhead) (4 tubes total)
-Three 4ft fixtures with 40 watt t12s (still 6500k, :( will replace with 2700 k when funds free up, trust me I know it's not ideal for bloom) (6 tubes total)

Veg staging area, aka top of my deep freezer.
LIGHTING
-Two fluorescent fixtures with 32 watt t8 6500k's (4 tubes)

SOIL
-Fox farms happy frog

NUTRIENTS
-Fox farms grow big for veg, and tiger bloom for blooming.

SEEDS
-All seeds from seedsman.com

CURRENTLY GROWING
-3 of the 4 in my closet just hermied, as of yesterfu**ingday. (2 Afghan kush & white widow regs) One of the Afghan's still has hope.
-on the veg table (deep freeze) 1 white widow fem, 1 neville haze fem , 1 original skunk #1 fem , 1 Jack Herrer fem, and 1 purple bud reg & 1 Sour diesel Auto (my first auto attempt) . All of these are a couple weeks old besides the auto.

Awesome fluorescentC, great job on a getting this started. Hermies definitely suck balls, pun intended, but it's never a lost cause. It has given you that little bit more experience with growing mj. Those side lights will be very beneficial later on once flowering sets in and you can get light into that canopy. If I can find it, I'll post a pic of completely surrounded grow room full of t8s. The height you have the overhead ones is perfect, looks like you've been researching on that part of the setup. Seedsman gets an a+ from me, fantastic seedbank. Doctors say no, I say grow... That's priceless my friend, love it. :rofl:

I'm just a pm away if you need any help brother, I'll try and keep tabs on your progress for sure... I've got hundreds of journals to read, but ill make sure to have yours on the short list of daily visits. Very glad to see you're up and running with lots of excitement, keep up the good work and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Hey FlourescentC, I'll take a front row seat for your first grow.

Glad to have ya! This is my 2nd round in the closet, only yielded 40 grams from first 3 plants I grew. (Bagseed and about 1/3 the light lol.) But my first round with the auto im a bit nervous.

Youre in good hands, ive learned so much here since August its amazing. Growers here have answers for virtualy every aspect of growing.

Keep em frosty ya'll

Youre in good hands, ive learned so much here since August its amazing. Growers here have answers for virtualy every aspect of growing.

Keep em frosty ya'll

I've been following along here a while and I whole heartedly believe that! Folks here have got it together!

Its helped me understand alot more about training, made a couple mistakes this time that set me back 2-3 weeks but ill know next grow.

Keep em frosty ya'll

My first grow was all tubes!

Im definitely subbed for this!

I surrounded my dwc bucket with them standing up and dropped some cfls over top.

This should be interesting!
Good luck

Glad I'm not alone. They make light, may not be the best light, but it's light!

Glad I'm not alone. They make light, may not be the best light, but it's light!

I also started with a t5 array, mounted to a piece of plywood, worked great. But then again the upgrade to LEDs made a huge difference. Tubes and cfls are very effective if you can keep them close enough and have an even canopy to help you achieve that.

KiG :green_heart:

They definitely have some advantages.

Like being able to put the light literally right on the plant with virtually no burn at all.

I will say tho the reason i never went back to florescents is because the speed. Takes much longer to get to harvest with those florescents but it can be done with surprising results.

Are you using strictly tubes? T8 t12?

They definitely have some advantages.

Like being able to put the light literally right on the plant with virtually no burn at all.

I will say tho the reason i never went back to florescents is because the speed. Takes much longer to get to harvest with those florescents but it can be done with surprising results.

Are you using strictly tubes? T8 t12?

I'm just using t8's and t12's as of now yes. Within my next round or two I hope to move up to the leds. But for now I'm content with this setup. May actually tomorrow buy new tubes for the closet and pull the veg tubes out.

I also started with a t5 array, mounted to a piece of plywood, worked great. But then again the upgrade to LEDs made a huge difference. Tubes and cfls are very effective if you can keep them close enough and have an even canopy to help you achieve that.

KiG :green_heart:

My main plan is to move up to LEDS. Hoping for sooner than later, but we'll see. Hoping with the area I'm using two 600 LEDS would suffice, but time and money will tell with that one.

420-magazine-mobile1913279984.jpg

In the lower left hand corner is my carbon filter with a 4" inline fan, running to my exhaust fan to the window.

Back
Top Bottom