LST'ing Advice?

Moshnaked

First(ish) Grow.

-Master Kush
-4 Gallon DWC
-32x32x63 Grow Tent
-400 Watt HPS
-Stealth Hydropnics Grow Nutes(Plan on Switching to Flora Bloom, Im on a budget)
-Also using General Hydroponics' Diamond Nectar

I am trying to get the most weight out of this yield as possible in order to obtain better quality growing equipment for the next time around. In order to get the most out of my MK, I LST'ed.

It is April 13th, 2014. April 15th makes it exactly 4 weeks since the light cycle started, making it 26 days old.
I tied down the main branch at 21 days.
IMG_20140413_113151.jpg

I have a total about 6 "mains" now including the original. What do I do now? Should I continue to tie down the new ones I've created to create even more? Do I leave the original main branch alone? I know topping is general advised to be done before LST'ing and in earlier stages of growth, but what about topping the new ones?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :]

You can veg a plant for months (and longer), and yours appears to be doing really well. You can continue to tie down and let new legs grow, but at some point, depending on your space, you'll need to say "when" and flip it. When that will be is totally up to you. Longer veg = more bud sites = bigger yields. You simply have to decide what it is you want from it.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

I do have one more question that's been bothering me for a while though. One of the fan leaves on the original top branch is covering quite a lot. Theres at least 3 new "tops" growing underneath them. I read a lot of LST tutorials in which people would tie down these fan leaves as well in order to get light to the new tops. The problem I have is that theres so much foliage on my plant, tying the highest fan leave down seems almost impossible.

Should I cut this fan leaf in order to provide light to the new growth? Or will that effect my original kola growth too much?

diagram7.jpg

The plants gets much of its energy from the fan leaves, but if I had one covering a cluster of bud sites, I would (and do) cut it off. All of my grows I've done before I started this indoor, LED journey were outdoor and I rarely did anything to tend them as the sky literally was the limit. These days, maximizing your resources requires a bit more trimming for indoor plants if limited by a tent, cabinet or box.

Alright, cool. I appreciate all the advice.

If anything else comes up, Ill probably end up back here for your opinion if you don't mind haha

SOOOO.. Its day 45 and I was planning on switching to 12/12 today. The thing is, My bloom light showed up in the mail broken.. Now I have to return it and get an exchange.

Is 12/12'ing with a vegetative bulb for the transition period (aprx. 7 days) a no-no? I was starting to get worried about how much its going to grow in 12/12 so I was trying to do it as soon as APPROPRIATELY possible, and plus I was also eager to switch to 12/12 because of the electricity bill haha. But Im not one to jump the gun and ruin shit because I cant be patient.

Should I wait the 8 days or so? Or will it be fine in 12/12 with a vegetative bulb for a week?
IMG_20140502_110146.jpg

That actually might work in my favor. I'm not LITERALLY going to run out of room, but the light might end up being too close.. and the temp will become a problem. That IS ONLY if the plant doubles in size though. I know it doesn't always, but sometimes it can get that bad in the 12/12 stretch.

I just don't want to hurt my plant or yield too much by doing this. Ive read mixed information, and nothing really specifically talking about using it only in the first week or so.

Hey guys. This is a little off topic considering what this thread was originally started for.. but I figured Id post it here since I already have an active one going.

Im thinking about getting a carbon Filter in the future. I have a 32"x32"x63" grow tent. I dont have much room, and I was wondering if putting the carbon filter after the inline fan would be an option? I'm assuming it doesn't work AS WELL.. but does it work? And will I be okay with a 4", or am I gonna need a 6"?

4 inch is fine but you will have to get a exhaust fan. (440 cfm or less even.) Depends how far you have to push your air. More length and bends require higher cfm. Also what light ect. will tell you what you need if there is alot of heat. Also if you go on my Grape Ape journal I have some good examples of my LST that I do. I ditch leaves in Veg that block light but only one or two at a time. My philosophy is if it dont get light it dont grow therefore has to go because it just waste plant energy. When I am forming my plants in Veg I prepare them for the ScroG screen so I want the middle of the plant to fill in nicely.

The only thing is, Im a week into flowering now so Ive been hesitant with the cutting. But I totally agree with you. I know its a touchy topic to talk about, because everyone has a really strong opinion about it.. but I have a BUSH. I already trimmed a decent amount during veg and theres still 15-20 percent of the leaves not getting enough light to "Stand" up. Its honestly the most compressed amount of foliage Ive ever seen in a pot plant.

Do you think trimming some of the branches that are growing really low in the first 2 weeks of flowering be too much of a shock? My plants always been pretty healthy, and Ive never really stunted it.

dweffwsef.jpg

IMG_20140513_094130.jpg

I grow ScroG so I end up lolipopping my plants anyway where I cut everything under the screen that doesn't get light. When I start budding I want light to as many of the bud sites as possible. If a leaf is blocking a site and can't be tucked out of the way then I cut it. You just have to be careful how many you cut and how often. I know what leaves are going to block sites now and I just pluck them while they are tiny. I go under the rule: If you take a leaf from one place in veg it will get replaced somewhere else. If you cut a shaded bud under the canopy that will not fully develop it will be replaced in your main cola that does get light. Plants will always balance out. It wants to grow and flower but if it doesn't get light it wont do either..

Never cut more the 20% of plant in one shot is a good number to go by. I agree with Teldren with cutting. Try to tuck fans if you can as you see bud sites. All that small bottom growth will just be little popcorn and take away from main colas. We all grow a little different. Wish you the best and you doing a outstanding job. Keep it growing green

Started seeing signs of mold and had to chop it a little early. It was reallllllly dense, so it made sense. I bought a dehumidifier for next time. I check my shit 3 times a day though, so I caught it immediately, and most of it was fine. Got me 8oz dried. And I chopped maybe like 7 days early x]

Back
Top Bottom