Male AK47 with white pistils?

Jimbo

I meant "Male" AK47...sorry, I couldn't change it after I noticed I typed it...opps...lol

I have a breeding pair of AK47's in my greenhouse. The male is about 5' tall and getting so much pollen pouring off of it, that all the leaves are starting to turn white.

But this male is doing something I've never heard of before, and that it's covered with white pistils coming out of the large clumps of pollen sacks.

Have any of you ever seen a male exhibit this kind of growth before?

And if so, does this mean it is A-sexual, and will produce it's own seeds?

This is really weird, and something I have never heard of before.

My female is about 3 1/2' tall and just started truly flowering at the beginning of this week and looks to be going nutz. The buds have at least doubled in size since I noticed the 1st white hairs this past weekend..I am absolutely stoked and impressed with these AK47's

I'm planning on a great harvest of seeds from these two, as they make a beautiful pair.

I also have 3 female Hawaii Maui Waui's in there with them, for a cross breeding experiment. They are all three over 5' tall as well and still in preflower, but I'd like to get a few AK x Maui beans to try and stabilize a great mostly sativa cross, with the potency of that AK. :yummy:

I tried to get a pic, but it turned out blurry and you can't see the hairs. sorry ).;

I've never heard of a hermie male though? It did breed my girls though...in fact I had 2 males and 2 fem's, until I pulled those males as to give the girls a chance to establish some decent buds, without too many seeds.

:cheesygrinsmiley: I've heard that a male with female flowers is very rare and that they produce only female seeds! However, I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it for myself and would be intersted in your results - so please keep us updated.

Who'd the seed come from?
private or a seed bank?

It have thick trichromes?
thicker than the other males?
Yes...I got them from a bank
The pistils kinda died off when the pollen started producing good, and the trichs weren't real thick on it...but I thought it was strange that a male would have pistils at all.

I've heard that a male with female flowers is very rare and that they produce only female seeds! However, I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it for myself and would be intersted in your results - so please keep us updated.
I hope your right about that, because I have 2 AK47's full of seeds now, and it would be choice to have all fem seeds from them :yummy:

I'll let y'all know if I start getting all fems out of these seeds...cool?

That would be really cool! Can't wait for the update!

Will do...should be around Thanksgiving before these seeds will be ready to try out....then of course, we'll have to wait for vegging/flowering to tell, but I'll try to get a journal going for those, to see the male/female ratio on them :smokin:
Should be interesting :grinjoint:

Y'all remember this though...I did have another male in with them as well, that was about 7' tall, that didn't show pistils like the other one did, so I let them both go to full pollen, then I pulled them after they bread the girls and I had also collected enough pollen in a med bottle for future crosses with my Maui's.
So, those seeds will not be all fem for sure, but I may get another male later that shows fem parts...who knows?

Bump!

This is a thread I started back in July of 2008, not long after I first came to the site. I went by the handle "Jimbo" back then and changed my handle to 420 Warrior when I became a staff newshawk.

As you can see by the responses to the title question, it wasn't something anyone here had ever experienced before, to have female parts growing from a male plant? Is this weird or what?

This was back 12 years ago, and there's been a lot of different people that have come and gone over the years since, but the question still remains...Has anyone here ever seen, heard of or had experience with male plants producing female pistils before?

I still to this day have some of those AK47 seeds, and whenever I do get back into growing, it'll certainly make for an interesting grow journal, to say the least...Especially if they all turn out to be fem seeds, fathered by a hermie male plant. I just hope they're still viable?

Yea brother, I've heard a lot about females herming out, but I believe it's pretty rare for a male to do that..But I may be wrong?

I do know I'm dying to see if those seeds he fathered will turn out to be feminized or not?

Dang Georgia and our legal status ATM! It's frustrating to say the least :eye-roll:

Not sure on the "true hermies" like that were they have both male and female parts, as most hermies seem to be the "trying to self" type with just the nanners. Also along with the fact that most folks toss a Male as soon as he shows up, so the percentages would be skewed no matter if it happens also ;) as unless I'm goofing around with breeding the Males go into the trash or recycle bin as soon as they show so they don't stick around long :rofl:

Not sure on the "true hermies" like that were they have both male and female parts, as most hermies seem to be the "trying to self" type with just the nanners. Also along with the fact that most folks toss a Male as soon as he shows up, so the percentages would be skewed no matter if it happens also ;) as unless I'm goofing around with breeding the Males go into the trash or recycle bin as soon as they show so they don't stick around long :rofl:
Good point, most people will toss males before getting that far into full maturity, so one never knows how many of those would show flowers as they never get that chance.

I'm still curious as to what this means for the seeds I have from that he/she plant though? Hope it doesn't promote hermies in the females?

TBH, I just hope those AK beans are still viable after 12 years?

Good point, most people will toss males before getting that far into full maturity, so one never knows how many of those would show flowers as they never get that chance.

I'm still curious as to what this means for the seeds I have from that he/she plant though? Hope it doesn't promote hermies in the females?

TBH, I just hope those AK beans are still viable after 12 years?

I haven't experimented with that one to find out if they more prone to Hermies or not, as that is what many think but could be another "bro science" kind of thing. Might have to soak them longer or scuff up the shell some, or some of the other things folks do with older seeds. But another of those "many variables" as how they were stored, how old they were when you got them, and a bunch of other variables I don't know of ;) .

Back
Top Bottom