Managing Multiple Strains

SMO MAN

420 Member
Growing from CLONES not from SEEDS-
I have been collecting different strains for a while now and I don't want to lose any of them.

Since I do not have seeds, I need to keep at least one of each strain growing. Unfortunately, that's not practical, (for several reasons).

While my regular crop grows, I'm contemplating keeping the extra strains in very small containers, (for space/lighting). Then, when they get larger or root bound, cloning them and tossing the mother. Thereby keeping the strain.

I would be interested in any thoughts on this idea or any other ideas.

There is no right or wrong way to keep a strain going. Your method is as good as any, barring breeding a male and female of the same strain or using colloidal Silver to produce fem seeds.

The easiest way, in my experience is to clone them. Personally, I would not toss the mother, but, if you don't have the space to keep her going, put her to flower and get a harvest out of her. Tossing a good mother is a waste. :Namaste:

Small pots work for a while but they need more watering and (obviously) outgrow them fairly quickly. I manage about 10-12 strains at a time these days of which at least a half dozen are permanent keepers. I don't keep mothers and haven't made femmed seed yet of any of my main strains - have just been cloning them. Several of them I've been keeping alive this way for a couple years now. When a veg plant gets big I either take a cutting from it and flower it, take a cutting from it and then kill it, or machete it down to about 6" tall. I also dim my veg lights sometimes to slow them down. Next project just underway is to make fem seeds of all my favorite strains so I don't have to be quite as much a slave.

There is no right or wrong way to keep a strain going. Your method is as good as any, barring breeding a male and female of the same strain or using colloidal Silver to produce fem seeds.

The easiest way, in my experience is to clone them. Personally, I would not toss the mother, but, if you don't have the space to keep her going, put her to flower and get a harvest out of her. Tossing a good mother is a waste. :Namaste:

I'll look into colloidal Silver. Keeping seed backups would be much easier, as long as they don't go hermaphrodite on me.
Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities to grow every mother or even one mother of each strain at the same time.
As for tossing out plants, I always start with more plants than I intend to finish, (allows me to pick & choose the healthiest).

Reply to Weaselcracker:
I like the seed bank concept, in spite of the fact that I've done everything in my power to avoid seeds in the past.
I would love to hear how your fem seed project goes.

Including the few starts I just picked up, I have 17 strains, (getting out of control). I'm not a 'hoarder', I've eliminated at least 10 strains for one reason or another.

My concern was/is loss of integrity over a few generations keeping them in slow-growth-mode, or cloning young plants.

Root balling or bound is not a great problem when it is pretty easy to deal with.

On a side note i look after some pretty big green house with private plant collections for display for the manor house, ya fuzzy some sort of ye old English gardener type dude & some of the plants i care for are decades old same plant same pot size... so what is my trick ah !

Well it is called re - potting & involves a bread knife most the of time perhaps a steak knife, Mmm images or flash's of a certain psycho movie may spring to mind... oh the shock horrors what i do to plants will make you tremble at the knees !

I dread the thought of throwing away plants if they are root bound when a little gentle root pruning is very good practice to keep them going for longer with out any real hassle.

Now for example i have a plant in a 2 liter pot it is heavy root bound with roots growing out the drainage holes etc

1. Remove plant from pot.

2. Use a suitable knife of choice & slice of the bottom inch or so off root mass, you can apply this to the sides as well plus remove some surface area of soil/medium as well.

3. Have some fresh soil/medium handy sprinkle a dash in the bottom of pot place plant in with freshly trimmed roots & repack with fresh soil/medium... easy as pie ah !

4. Water in well.

Just in case any one thinks i'm a total nutter, well ya best check this link out on bonsai mothers check those stems out... totally old man with so tiny pots.

Bonsai Mothers :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom