Medical Marijuana Services - Looking for a prescription in Canada under new laws?

You have to fill out MMS's form online which explains why you need it. I'm not sure what you wrote to them if MMS declined you (not their doctor). You might want to try again. I didn't have a doctor when I sent my request in. I also explained a lot of detail as to why I felt marijuana would help. I had examples of various pills doctors (walk-in clinics) have prescribed. Saying something like I'm depressed, I want weed to fix me wouldn't work obviously. There are examples on MMS site explaining what marijuana can help with. Might be a starting point ;)
Nothing wrong with the black market either though. Usually can get it for $8/gram which is not much more than what you can get it through a prescription. Just don't anything that sparks and crackles. That's not good stuff.

I went on their website and it said "We recommend that you speak to one of our representatives before applying to see if you qualify and to understand the process of applying."

So i emailed them first and explained that i have been suffering for a long time but only became aware of marijuana this year as an alternative to suffering in silence or taking pharmaceutical pills.

There are many many peoples taking medical marijuana for anxiety, depression and sleeping problems. These are real problems.

Those who don't use marijuana are either:

A. On some pill from their doctor (I went that route two years ago and it was terrible so i didn't return to my doctor) also my doctor made me feel humiliated for having anxiety and depression. Like there should be a way to deal with it without anything. Well if that worked. There wouldn't be anyone in the world using marijuana as a medical alternative.

B. Suffering in silence ( this is me ) Most don't want to go to their doctor for four reasons: ONE.... it's humiliating telling someone that you are depressed and suffer with anxiety on a daily basis. TWO... their doctor thinks they are a shrink and instead of prescribing something that can help they try to spend thirty minutes psychoanalyzing. THREE... they have been down that route and got pharmacy pills that made their life worse. FOUR... it can actually affect getting hired by a company as some companies want to see medical records to make sure you are sound in mind. If they saw you had been in because you have been having ongoing anxiety and depression you might not get hired, so some avoid their doctor for that reason.

Asking for documentation is like trying to pull a camel through the eye of a needle with my doc. Asking for help for depression and anxiety and sleeping usually gets an answer like.. drink milk at night, take a shower in the day and have these mind crushing pills that do nothing. They are not helpful and after visiting them two years ago about anxiety, depression and not sleeping well ( which i might add required a lot of convincing by my wife for me to go ) i went and never received anything that was helpful. I came out feeling worse than when i went in and it certainly didn't make me want to go back there. And i don't have a prescription receipt from two years ago. ( who the hell keeps those?)

Lastly and most importantly.

It said clearly on their website that while they ask for supporting documents ( and outline which ones ). It says and i quote "NB* In many cases Supporting Medical Documents are NOT necessary". Contact us for more information."

I asked for clarity on that. They didn't clarify and just replied with yes we do need documents. So basically that statement on their website is false. It should be removed. As medical documents ARE NECESSARY according to them.

I think the only reason they have that statement there is to confuse folks and hope that people fill out their online form and pay. Then they will refund 80% or in some cases i've heard they didn't refund people. Either way they win.

It's a false statement that they should remove from their website.

At the end of the day, people with real anxiety and depression are slipping through the cracks because companies like this demand that you get a note. I don't mind a person demanding it. But don't lie on your website and make statements that you don't need the documents that are listed.

I also wouldn't get it from the blackmarket because i don't want trouble ( hence the reason i was looking into a legal means ) and secondly i wouldn't know where to look. I don't hang around dubious looking places in the downtown.

Well if you've been suffering for a long time and went to your doctor, they want some type of record of that. Ask your doctor for that, not for weed. They will give you a copy of your records I'm sure.

If they prescribed you pills, get records of them too.

You pay if MMS has reviewed your submission and they setup an appointment with a doctor. If MMS doesn't feel you would get doctor approval, they won't ask for the $. The 20% covers the doctors fee as they have to be paid. Think of it like going to a private clinic and paying.

If you just say you want weed cuz you've been suffering from depression without any proof, then ya I suppose you won't have luck with them and likely any other place is my guess.

Good luck.

Well if you've been suffering for a long time and went to your doctor, they want some type of record of that. Ask your doctor for that, not for weed. They will give you a copy of your records I'm sure.

If they prescribed you pills, get records of them too.

You pay if MMS has reviewed your submission and they setup an appointment with a doctor. If MMS doesn't feel you would get doctor approval, they won't ask for the $. The 20% covers the doctors fee as they have to be paid. Think of it like going to a private clinic and paying.

If you just say you want weed cuz you've been suffering from depression without any proof, then ya I suppose you won't have luck with them and likely any other place is my guess.

Good luck.

Most of these places (including clinics) require that the prescription from the doctor has to have been within 1 year. Mine was two years ago so i am way out of that time frame, and i don't collect prescription receipts or bottles.

Like i said before, few people don't want to go to their doctor and discuss 'anxiety and depression' as their is a stigma attached to it unlike other ailments and it can affect future employment ( i have outlined the reasons above ). However i did go to them two years ago after my wife nagged me to just go and see what they would say. After a lengthy conversation. They gave me sleeping pills for depression, anxiety and trouble sleeping. Those did not help as they placed me in a comotosed state and i was useless. My wife explained they would only give me something similar to that if i went back, so i didn't go back and have had to spend the last two years struggling with this until i learned about Marihuana this year ( never taken it before )

Other people i know who did go back were put on pills that caused even more ailments. I shouldn't have to go through that just to prove to someone that i qualify.

It was embarrassing going to the doctor the first time around. I was made to feel as though i shouldn't be anxious or depressed. No one should have to deal with that. I'm not comfortable going again but i will if there is no other option.

As for getting medical records. There is a fee involved of close to $617. Take a read of this article

Third, how the heck do people without a doctor prove a diagnosis?

It seems if they are making harder and harder for people to get their hands on a natural alternative that mother nature obviously created for us to have.

I hope they legalize soon as this is B.S having to go through all of this.

Regardless MMS is not being accurate on their website about not needing medical documents. They need to remove that.

Anyway i have booked in with my doctor again, and i think i have found a company that can help. Hopefully i can get this sorted out this side of heaven.:thumb:

Is everyone paying around $150 to $200 for an annual renewal?

Not sure why you're having such a hard time, I was in a similar position 1.5-2 years ago and went through MMS with no problems. I have a little bit of anxiety and was using ativan without much success. Asked my doctor about medical marijuana but he didn't feel comfortable prescribing it. This is what I did to get past that:

Took day off work and visited my doctor because my anxiety was especially bad that week. He prescribed me ativan again. Asked doctor for a note about my visit, and to include why I was there and what was prescribed. Told him it was for my employer. Did not mention to doctor at all that this was for marijuana.

Filled prescription, and asked Shoppers Drug Mart to print prescription history for last 3 years. They do this for free.

Contacted MMS and provided 3 years worth of prescription history and note from doctor with diagnosis. Had following up meeting 2 days later with MMS doctor online and was approved. Was able to order marijuana from my chosen LP the next week. Couldn't have been easier.

When I signed up with MMS I paid initially $450 I think, but this was about 1.5-2 years ago and the pricing seems to have come down substantially. Paid $150 for renewal recently.

I was in a similar position this year and like you, my doctor didn't approve of MMJ so I also got a note like the one you described and I said that it was for my employer, too.

However, I accessed MMS through Tweed, my LP and I didn't have to pay anything.

Not sure why you're having such a hard time, I was in a similar position 1.5-2 years ago and went through MMS with no problems. I have a little bit of anxiety and was using ativan without much success. Asked my doctor about medical marijuana but he didn't feel comfortable prescribing it. This is what I did to get past that:

Took day off work and visited my doctor because my anxiety was especially bad that week. He prescribed me ativan again. Asked doctor for a note about my visit, and to include why I was there and what was prescribed. Told him it was for my employer. Did not mention to doctor at all that this was for marijuana.

Filled prescription, and asked Shoppers Drug Mart to print prescription history for last 3 years. They do this for free.

Contacted MMS and provided 3 years worth of prescription history and note from doctor with diagnosis. Had following up meeting 2 days later with MMS doctor online and was approved. Was able to order marijuana from my chosen LP the next week. Couldn't have been easier.

When I signed up with MMS I paid initially $450 I think, but this was about 1.5-2 years ago and the pricing seems to have come down substantially. Paid $150 for renewal recently.

Hello everyone, I am hoping to finally get my medical too.
I have back, sciatic and neck pain, as well as stress and insomnia.
I have no paperwork, and I have discovered they are lying when they say no paperwork required.
So I am going to go to my local walk in clinic soon to try and get documentation.
Question for you guys: how do I do that?
I go and tell the doctor my back and neck and sciatic hurts, and that I can't sleep and am stressed. Then what? Tell him I need a copy of that diagnosis? For what? What wording do I use to make sure I get what I need for paperwork? I am self employed so I have to take time off without pay to do doctors appointment and do not want to have to go more than once.

I want to get legal ASAP, then register to grow legally too.

Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone, I am hoping to finally get my medical too.
I have back, sciatic and neck pain, as well as stress and insomnia.
I have no paperwork, and I have discovered they are lying when they say no paperwork required.
So I am going to go to my local walk in clinic soon to try and get documentation.
Question for you guys: how do I do that?
I go and tell the doctor my back and neck and sciatic hurts, and that I can't sleep and am stressed. Then what? Tell him I need a copy of that diagnosis? For what? What wording do I use to make sure I get what I need for paperwork? I am self employed so I have to take time off without pay to do doctors appointment and do not want to have to go more than once.

I want to get legal ASAP, then register to grow legally too.

Thanks for your help!

Well, in less than 12 months you wont have to worry about registering to grow or getting a medical card to legally use as much as you want in Canada.

Well, in less than 12 months you wont have to worry about registering to grow or getting a medical card to legally use as much as you want in Canada.

Ha ha...that's the story the Liberals want us to vote behind. Time will tell whether, or not they're lying. Likely another 4 years before everyone will be allowed to due to some "unforeseen" hiccup, or hurdle. 4 plants also includes clones starting out. I have can grow 15 plants so I'm still happy with my medical card at this time.

If I were a recreational user 4 would probably be enough. As a legal medical user I can have 25. Im trying to go perpetual, and between mothers, clones and flowering plants I'll probably use close to 20

Good stuff Pink. I'm only good for 15 inside. But at least I can store 675 gms dried or equivalent, you can store 1.125 kilo. That's on top of the growing plants.

Funny enough my Dr actually lowered my Rx last visit. When I renew the permit I'll have a 20 plant limit. Will still be more then enough I'm sure

Mine got raised a gm when I told the doc I mostly make infused oil to use with edibles, and that I wasted a lot throwing away the pulp.

disclaimer: I don't throw away pulp "anymore", it makes a great base for brownies, cookies, you name it, and mixes well with ground beef. Canna-burgers or canna-meatloaf anyone?
:yummy:

I'll have to try the Cannaburger. As it is I plan to find out just how much coconut oil the human body can take

One of the best investments I have made is the Magical Butter Machine. And I haven't made any butter either lol. Mostly infused oils, sometimes infuse VG for e-juice, and you can bake with the VG as well. Been using sunflower lately. I use the 8 hour tincture setting.

Now that a new vape is on the way, the magic butter machine is the next toy on the list, along with the last few things needed for the garden. I really hope to be able to buy it in time for first harvest.

Don't forget to save your shake and trimmings. The MBM puts them to good use. The only waste in my grows is the roots.

Back
Top Bottom