Moving across country

It might be a state-by-state thing:

What Is a “Pretext” Stop?
A “pretext” traffic stop is where police have reasonable suspicion to pull a driver over, but really have some other motive for doing so. For instance, an officer might suspect a driver is involved in drug dealing and use a minor traffic violation as an excuse to make a stop. The officer then uses the traffic detention as an opportunity to investigate for drugs. Can evidence the officer finds during such a stop be legally used against the driver in court?

In Whren v. U.S., the Supreme Court said yes. The Court held that a traffic stop is legal—at least at its inception—if it was supported by an objectively reasonable basis. In other words, the officer’s subjective motives aren’t part of the equation. (517 U.S. 806 (1996).)

However, some state laws provide drivers with more expansive rights by making the officer's subjective beliefs part of the equation. In these states, an officer's pretextual motives for pulling someone over could make the stop illegal and result in any evidence that was obtained being thrown out by the judge.

It might be a state-by-state thing:

What Is a “Pretext” Stop?
A “pretext” traffic stop is where police have reasonable suspicion to pull a driver over, but really have some other motive for doing so. For instance, an officer might suspect a driver is involved in drug dealing and use a minor traffic violation as an excuse to make a stop. The officer then uses the traffic detention as an opportunity to investigate for drugs. Can evidence the officer finds during such a stop be legally used against the driver in court?

In Whren v. U.S., the Supreme Court said yes. The Court held that a traffic stop is legal—at least at its inception—if it was supported by an objectively reasonable basis. In other words, the officer’s subjective motives aren’t part of the equation. (517 U.S. 806 (1996).)

However, some state laws provide drivers with more expansive rights by making the officer's subjective beliefs part of the equation. In these states, an officer's pretextual motives for pulling someone over could make the stop illegal and result in any evidence that was obtained being thrown out by the judge.

Pretty much makes my point, you need PC for a search, but in any case we're way off topic. Travelling across country in motorhome with weed is pretty darn safe. If the OP is really worried, he could probably map out a way to get to his destination through "Free States".

I'm a pessimist. And, do you know the great thing about being a pessimist is? When the fire breaks out, you all ready know where the fire extinguishers are.

I remember looking up how to handle something similar and stumbled upon some super useful info regarding what you can and can't bring with you when you're hiring movers. It turns out, there's a whole list of restricted items that I never even thought about.

I remember looking up how to handle something similar and stumbled upon some super useful info regarding what you can and can't bring with you when you're hiring movers. It turns out, there's a whole list of restricted items that I never even thought about.
Yeaaah, I had a similar revelation when I was moving. I had no idea that movers wouldn't transport hazardous materials, which makes sense, but also things like perishable food and plants. This details I found on https://threemovers.com/restricted-items-when-hiring-movers/ really opened my eyes to the kinds of things you need to consider, especially if you're traveling with anything out of the ordinary.

Back
Top Bottom