My first grow cfl pic

im using 6500k cfls at the minute, ive got a few above the plants but will be hanging some around the plants when they get a bit taller, i was getting very little stretch so added 2 2700k cfls their all around 30watt actual power, the plants all seem healthy, i fimd the big bud and its starting to grow new heads, the lower branches that have just started shooting up are nearly level with the top of the plant all ready, im trying lst with one of my plants as well, i dont want to do to much first time round till ive got some clones going, i just want to try and keep the veg short without impacting yield to much, i was heading towards letting them be a foot tall before turning to flower, i hane no height problems as its floor to ceiling, just didnt want to drag it out for ages, probably another couple of weeks, tesmp and jakester hooked me up with some bpn nutes so want to give the plants a week or 2 on them before turn to flower, basically i want to be able to have a rotation so when i harvest the plants their are some ready to move into flower, ill just see how it goes,

nice nice u see to have some green thrum i believe ur on the right track do u plan on using hps or staying with what u have u have a lot more stuff going on right now then i do illbe doing some out door growing soon should be good i have some kush seeds females to so i cant wait to pop them in the ground i was working on my pc grow but i had to take a break i was going to veg them in there for a couple of weeks then move them out side when the weather is normal cuz we have been having some fucked up weather first its not even spring and its 80 out then it go to low temps for a couple of days then its liket we have tornato weather like what the fuck so yeah keep on grow it suck on how slow they grow somtimes but what can u do pce for now friend! geturgrowon!

strictly cfl for this grow, its an experiment to see what i can get with cfls, depending on the yield i might stick with them or not, i chose cfls as ive got at least 50 2700k bulbs the energy companies give them away and vouchers in the papers so i kept ordering them and get loads of 20watt 2700k cfl's it was the 6500k i struggle to get, i got them off amazon in the end, thats why i can hang lights all around the plants, even between the plants as the cfls dont get that hot, the 30watt cfls i can hold in my hand and its barely warm, it wouldnt burn put it that way, it might dry the leaves out if it was to close but im planning on packing the 2700k bulbs in when i go to flower, so all been well i should be able to get the plants covered with light when i switch to flower

donpaul just because you can hold it does not mean it will not burn the plant. I was using cfls and if the plant lay on the bulb all day it will eventually burn. and just so you know the more lights you put in there the more heat it going to be generated. I have grown with both CFL and HID lights and I suggest the hid over cfl. I used over 300 watts worth of cfls and only got about 13,000 lumens, I switched to 2 70 watt hids(one hps and one MH)and I am getting nearly as many lumens with half the amount of energy consumption. I do understand that people are on a budget but for about 70 bucks you can get one of each from your local hardware store. they are just security lights. check out my grow journals. you will be able to see a cfl and hid grow.

donpaul just because you can hold it does not mean it will not burn the plant. I was using cfls and if the plant lay on the bulb all day it will eventually burn. and just so you know the more lights you put in there the more heat it going to be generated. I have grown with both CFL and HID lights and I suggest the hid over cfl. I used over 300 watts worth of cfls and only got about 13,000 lumens, I switched to 2 70 watt hids(one hps and one MH)and I am getting nearly as many lumens with half the amount of energy consumption. I do understand that people are on a budget but for about 70 bucks you can get one of each from your local hardware store. they are just security lights. check out my grow journals. you will be able to see a cfl and hid grow.

Interesting cause I'm in the clouds about lites with using the simple and suitable LEDs for vegging and HPS for flowering so I'm not keen about other types of light which brings me to wonder what HID lights are because my UFO LED burnt out after 4 years of continuous use though i still have the 2 led vegging 250w leds when i can't put my vegative ones out in the sun so I thought mayhap i should get something else for vegging cause i read that the hps doesn't give out the right type of color for vegging now i did investigate cfls but that seems to complicated for me to put together as i am a female and don't understand all that electrical stuff and just want some kind of plug-in-screw-thebulb-in-type of fixture. So what's a HID light for good vegetative growth that i can just plug in besides fluorescent? :thanks:

Interesting cause I'm in the clouds about lites with using the simple and suitable LEDs for vegging and HPS for flowering so I'm not keen about other types of light which brings me to wonder what HID lights are because my UFO LED burnt out after 4 years of continuous use though i still have the 2 led vegging 250w leds when i can't put my vegative ones out in the sun so I thought mayhap i should get something else for vegging cause i read that the hps doesn't give out the right type of color for vegging now i did investigate cfls but that seems to complicated for me to put together as i am a female and don't understand all that electrical stuff and just want some kind of plug-in-screw-thebulb-in-type of fixture. So what's a HID light for good vegetative growth that i can just plug in besides fluorescent? :thanks:

Compact fluorescent lights are the most simple to set up. They can be screwed into any household connection. They are commonly known as energy efficient. You could put one into replace your bedroom light the same way you would change a bulb. I can't understand why you find that confusing.

CFL in it's connection
1333214967313.jpg

CFL on it's own
1333215037712.jpg

CFL being connected
IMG-20120331-00222.jpg

Very simple really. Would you like me to put a video on via youtube to show you step by step?

i think she means connecting all the lights together into a light strip or something like that, such as wireing them into plugs and mounting the light fittings on something thats going to hold the bulbs, its not hard i know but you gota remember their are people out their who have never changed a fuse let alone change a plug, now it dont matter if the lights are wired backwards ie pos n neg when coming to cfls, but some people are not confident or dont want to risk burning the house down, its not as easy as just changing the bulb, fair enough you can buy clip on bulb holders from hardware store and hang them anywhere as long as you got something to clip them onto, thats the easy method, but when you want to wire 6 light fittings in 1 line using 1 plug then it can be difficult for people to want to risk doing, anyone with any diy skills can wire it up but it only takes one short to start a fire and all the crap, she may not have any diy skills and just wants to be able to put the plug in the socket and switch it on without the hassle of getting her own wire and connectors and building her own lighting rig, im sure she can change a bulb

and as for my grow like i said its an experiment, i had shed loads of 2700k cfls lying around so dont need to buy anyway, my set up costs have so far cost me about £20 tops, i got nutes to get i know, well 2 kind growers on here hooked me up with bpn's products so i owe them reps for that and corey for sorting shipping out to where i am, but £20 is all its cost me to set up, and depending on what i get back from it ill decide then what method i want to use, at the moment ive got 5 30watt 6500k cfls and 2 20watt 2700k cfls and my temps never rise above 70f and keeping the 12v fan running prevents any heat building up at the lights, and i can keep them withing 2 inches of the top of the plants, ill see how i get on with cfls for this grow then may consider something else for the clones,

i think she means connecting all the lights together into a light strip or something like that, such as wireing them into plugs and mounting the light fittings on something thats going to hold the bulbs, its not hard i know but you gota remember their are people out their who have never changed a fuse let alone change a plug, now it dont matter if the lights are wired backwards ie pos n neg when coming to cfls, but some people are not confident or dont want to risk burning the house down, its not as easy as just changing the bulb, fair enough you can buy clip on bulb holders from hardware store and hang them anywhere as long as you got something to clip them onto, thats the easy method, but when you want to wire 6 light fittings in 1 line using 1 plug then it can be difficult for people to want to risk doing, anyone with any diy skills can wire it up but it only takes one short to start a fire and all the crap, she may not have any diy skills and just wants to be able to put the plug in the socket and switch it on without the hassle of getting her own wire and connectors and building her own lighting rig, im sure she can change a bulb

and as for my grow like i said its an experiment, i had shed loads of 2700k cfls lying around so dont need to buy anyway, my set up costs have so far cost me about £20 tops, i got nutes to get i know, well 2 kind growers on here hooked me up with bpn's products so i owe them reps for that and corey for sorting shipping out to where i am, but £20 is all its cost me to set up, and depending on what i get back from it ill decide then what method i want to use, at the moment ive got 5 30watt 6500k cfls and 2 20watt 2700k cfls and my temps never rise above 70f and keeping the 12v fan running prevents any heat building up at the lights, and i can keep them withing 2 inches of the top of the plants, ill see how i get on with cfls for this grow then may consider something else for the clones,

I get this also, but with a 4 way adaptor you can have 4 in a straight line and they would essentially all run from one plug. Again with a 6 or 8 way adaptor. No need to complicate things if you don't need to. This way you get all you need with minimum effort and no DIY skills are needed, and defiantly no risk of a fire etc. Plus for little cost a trip switch can easily be added for extra security.

i know your right, you mean one adaptor that fits into a light socket and lets you put 4 bulbs in, ive not seen them, ive only seen the double v shaped ones that convert 1 socket into 2 sockets, not sure what you mean by 4 in a strait line, im not an electrician but ive not seen anything that has 4 light sockets in a strait line, plus how long is that section, might be something i would be interested in as you could then fit the double sockets into each of the 4 sockets giving you 8 bulbs in a v shape as cfls give off more light from the sides than they do from the end of the bulb, av you got some picks or a link to the 4 sockets your on about as it would save me buying all the pieces seperate and bulding them myself, ive just been buying the single sockets and fitted them to a sort of light board that holds the sockets, if i could get these 4 sockets i could run 8 bulbs in them

me fick, any chance of a link, when i search for 4 way light adaptor or 4 light adaptor i keep coming up with extension leads just for the plugs to go into, is this what your going on about or are you going on about something that holds 4 light bulbs in a strait line, i thinking of lighting and not the plugs, maybe i read your comments wrong,

@ Vampire. Metal Halide or MH is a light that falls under hid lighting. Hid stands for high energy discharge. MH lights tend to range more in the blue spectrum which is good for veg growth because plants in the veg stage want a blueish light over red. I use both through the whole grow to optimize the color spectrum through out the whole grow. If you are not confident in wiring one then I would read up on it and inform yourself on how to do it. This site has a tutorial on how to wire them that is very good. And there is a link in the thread that has all the photos you will need to do it. Because if you buy the security lights your going to need to pull the ballast out of it so that it does not generate any extra heat.

Back
Top Bottom