My first grow cfl pic

those plants are Nirvana's "Papaya" ,behind them are clones from the same ,I have 9 bulbs in there ,5 full spectrum 27=100 watts , and 4, 27 = 100 daylight . it's a 44"X 49" grow area , the lights are on a pulley,so I raze it as needed,, here's a better pic
mar_29_008.JPG
I have some of the lights off during flower stage,, It seems to work OK ,,
3-22-2012_Papaya_001.JPG

hi mate, are you saying your cfls are using 100 watt and 2700k bulbs, or are you saying you use 27watt cfls with expected output of 100 watts,

also could i ask how long you vegd for and how big where the plants when you flipped them to flower, im growing using cfl so trying to get some advice

Compact fluorescent lights are the most simple to set up. They can be screwed into any household connection. They are commonly known as energy efficient. You could put one into replace your bedroom light the same way you would change a bulb. I can't understand why you find that confusing.

CFL in it's connection
1333214967313.jpg

CFL on it's own
1333215037712.jpg

CFL being connected
IMG-20120331-00222.jpg

Very simple really. Would you like me to put a video on via youtube to show you step by step?

No you don't have to put a vid up lol but thank you a million billion times for the pictures and telling me that those bulbs could go into any lamp fixture. I thought it had to be a special fixture made for cfl's like the hps and that I had to put it together. Now I can just find the kinda fixture that I can chain on the clothes rack where my grow is and I'm gonna copy your pic with the clothespin thing to take along with me. Your kindness and patience with answering is so very much appricated. :love:

hi mate, are you saying your cfls are using 100 watt and 2700k bulbs, or are you saying you use 27watt cfls with expected output of 100 watts,

also could i ask how long you vegd for and how big where the plants when you flipped them to flower, im growing using cfl so trying to get some advice

yes they are 7=100,watt, 2700k bulbs , I veged em for 6 weeks, 1st. 2 plants have been flowering for 7 weeks now, :peace: this is my last grow ,nirvana super skunk..
danis_candystore_010.JPG

very nice mate, its amazing what cfl's can do, im not using the 100 watt actual output due to costs plus i had loads of cfl's around the house that i had got for free off energy companies so all i neeeded to get was 6500 daylight bulbs so got mine of amazon, so at the moment im using several 30watt 6500 cfl's and a couple of 20watt 2700k bulbs thrown in for the extra light spectrum, hoping they will aid in the development in the veg stage, but ill be switching to mainly 2700k bulbs when i switch to flower, im not sure what height i want my plants, im trying to keep some in veg and some in flower so i got regular plants and a sort of continuos smoke, just not sure when to change them to flower stage, i dont want to veg for to long but dont want to lose to much yield, im not hoping of getting much using basic cfls but if i can get enough to give me a smoke while im waiting for the next crop to flower and dry,

so what sort of height do you flower yours at, and roughly how long do you veg for. hope you dont mind me asking, im trying to get sort of an rough average compared to plant size, i know its not going to be exact due to strains and things like that, but if i can get a rough idea comparing height to yield then i should be able to decide what time scale im looking at and what sort of yield i can expect,

I usually let em veg for 7 - 8 weeks, height makes no difference to me , I have plenty of height to play with..I always take some clones about 1 week before I switch em to flower . then if I flower the mothers for 8 weeks , my clones are ready to turn to flower by then, so that starts the perpetual grow , but I have 2 different areas to grow in also , so that makes it easy ..and I start new seeds , in the mix somewhere ....sounds like you got a great plan on your lighting..:peace:

very nice mate, its amazing what cfl's can do, im not using the 100 watt actual output due to costs plus i had loads of cfl's around the house that i had got for free off energy companies so all i neeeded to get was 6500 daylight bulbs so got mine of amazon, so at the moment im using several 30watt 6500 cfl's and a couple of 20watt 2700k bulbs thrown in for the extra light spectrum, hoping they will aid in the development in the veg stage, but ill be switching to mainly 2700k bulbs when i switch to flower, im not sure what height i want my plants, im trying to keep some in veg and some in flower so i got regular plants and a sort of continuos smoke, just not sure when to change them to flower stage, i dont want to veg for to long but dont want to lose to much yield, im not hoping of getting much using basic cfls but if i can get enough to give me a smoke while im waiting for the next crop to flower and dry,

so what sort of height do you flower yours at, and roughly how long do you veg for. hope you dont mind me asking, im trying to get sort of an rough average compared to plant size, i know its not going to be exact due to strains and things like that, but if i can get a rough idea comparing height to yield then i should be able to decide what time scale im looking at and what sort of yield i can expect,

put ur cfl as close as posible and they would strech that much they will some times triple the size of ur pots hope my thread is helping u out man

im keeping them closer than i was, i lowered them down a bit more today, trying to find a sort of level where its a close as it can be without drying out or burning the leaves, the 30watt cfls im using are only warm to the touch but would probably dry out any leaf that got to close or touched it, ive got 2 12v fans running to circulate air over the lights and the top of the plants, so hoping this will prevent the lights drying the leaves up

yes but dont i want my plants to stretch and get taller or am i going to get more if the plant stays short and bushy, i mean when i put it into flower im going to have 2700k bulbs all over the place, i got she loads so ill have them above and all around the plants making sure no shade anywhere, but dont i want the plants to grow taller now so i have bigger buds or by keeping it bushy am i going to end up with more bigger buds instead of little buds running along the branches, would moving ghe light away make the plant grow taller and if so wouldnt i be better doing this say for a wekk then lower the lights to make it bush out more, i really dont know whats best to do, i mean i could raise the light which will lower the lumins, this could make the plant grow even less and stretch even less, ive not got many grows to go on to compare, so bit stumped at whats best

Plants only stretch when there is lack of light, try taking out a bulb for a few days. Raising would also help.

All depends on how much space you will have when they are flowering, is the area they will be in tall and thin or low and wide?

the height is no issue as its floor to ceiling, my grow room is roughly 2 n half ft by 2 n half ft.

so the reson my plants are staying short is due to the lights being close to the plants, so if i raised the lights say 5 inches will this then encourage the plants to grow or would it slow the growth down due to the light being further away. they just dont seem to be getting taller, they have got loads of growth at stem and the new branches below the top have all got to their 2nd node and the lower branches are now level with the top of the plant, so at the top now ive got 3 main stems coming out instead of the one.

yield wise am i going to get more with a short bushy plant with node spacing very close or am i better letting it stretch for a few days.

so if i want it to stretch i just raise the lights from having them 2 inches from top of the plant to say 6 inches

I'd say raise them to about 12 inches at least if you want them to stretch. it's the same way they bend towards the light in the wild. if the light is further away they have to stretch to get to it.

I have plants that are 2,1/2 ft wide ,and 2 ft tall .,, So your not gonna get a real tall plant in that narrow space,, :smokin: If you have all that room above , why not make 2 grow areas in the same spot ..1 on top of the other, 1 more shelve , and another light and poof :idea:

right ive raised the lights, i didnt notice much difference in the light till i was about 7 inches above the plants so i raised the lights to 8 inches, ill leave it like that for a couple of days and see what happens, if i see no difference then it might be down to the strain of the plants and ill lower the lights,

its gota be worth a try,

i was thinking about doing that, i could possibly have 3 levels, but im only growing 4 plants so ill see how i get on with these and then decide whats best after.

my space is roughly 3ft square i just measure it, so its 3ft by 3ft, now i can see what your saying thet i wont get very wide plants in that small space, but at the moment the plants are not as big as the pots so i have no problem with sidways space, my plants have been in veg for 30 days and are only 8inches tall, all lower branches have now grown and are pretty level with top of the plant with the new branches now growing off the new branches if you can get what i mean, so as my plants are not fighting for space i just thought it was strange why my plants are not getting taller and didnt know if it was a good thing of bad thing, im just not sure, their indica strain so not going to be tall anyway, so am i best keeping them small and just bush them out by pulling new branches down or am i going to get more yield if i let them stretch a bit,

but even if my plants where in seperate rooms i still think ill have the growth issue, none of my plants are anywhere near touching each other and i could probably fit 9 3gallon pots in my grow space, as of now ive got just 3, so width is not a problem, their is loads of room between the 3gallon pots so dont think the plants are stunted due to over crowding,

Back
Top Bottom