My First Grow: I Hope This Goes Well!

Took your advice Mr Teddy.

Day 65, the girls have stared their LST.

20150305_123625.jpg
20150305_123620.jpg
20150305_123601.jpg
20150305_123550.jpg
20150303_202814.jpg

And I eventually purchased a thermometer..........

I looks like the room has been maintaining around the 25 deg c during the day a16/17 at night. Although I havent been able to tell the temp it feels constant.

The next thing I need is to understand my humidity.

I also need to start thinking about a heater for the room. It gets cold here so I night see if I can get a small oil heater just in case! The seasons are a changing!

And I eventually purchased a thermometer..........

I looks like the room has been maintaining around the 25 deg c during the day a16/17 at night. Although I havent been able to tell the temp it feels constant.

The next thing I need is to understand my humidity.

I also need to start thinking about a heater for the room. It gets cold here so I night see if I can get a small oil heater just in case! The seasons are a changing!

If those are your summer temps, then yes you will need an oil heater.
From my research, all electric heaters are pretty much the same efficiency, so the choice is price and features.
Oil heaters are good because of their gentle heat.

I suggest one with a low setting/low power power draw. A setting for 2.5 amp/500 watts would be good.
Watch out for LED lights and flowering rooms. An LED on as heater is a light source in your dark period.

If you buy a cheap high/low temp and humidity meter, even a simple dial thermostat for heat control is fine.
Usually you have to go to a digital thermostat to get the low power setting.

Another update.

Thanks for the advice again Radogast, I picked up 2 × 6 fin oil heaters. The good thing is one of them has everything you suggested as well as an in built timer. Temps have picked up and the girls have taken to it well.

The PC has thickened up after the topping and the LST has opened up a number of bud sites.

The NLxBB is still slow however, she has also started to thicken after the topping. She has taken well to the LST, it seems she has picked herself up.

So, looking at where we are.

Seeds arrived 30/12/14, I started germination straight away. 3 days later they sprouted and were planted to build root mass.
From the 2/1/15 the girls bedded in until they were moved into their permanent home on the 3/2/15, they have been in veg since under the twin groflo fluro light. This is really holding them up and the new Mars II should pick things up, I really hope it turns up next week, these plants need it. Throughout last week I was able to get the girls out in the natural light on three occassions and the new growth was incredible. I think I now have a good understanding of lighting requirements now, I am really looking forward to my next grow. I have only been growing for a few months now and I've learnt so much. The biggest thing I have learnt , and would like to pass on is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING PREPARED AND READY!

Now, working out when to flower. And I have listened to all the great advice, from the above timeline, if Im thinking right!

Seed to veg 30/12/14 to 3/2/15 = 35 days (to the transplanting day)
Veg to flower 7 weeks. We are currently in this stage, day 40 of 49! This gives me about another week before I send them into flower. I will wait and see how they are this time next week. And if the light does show up I might just let them veg another week or so.

Any help here would be good, am I in the ball park?

I have also brought a few things off ebay that im waiting to arrive that are going to help heaps. 1x digital thermometer ànd hydrometer, 1x hp test kit and 1x soil tester (PH, light and wetness)

Once this light arrives I will post some new pics showing how the room turned out and what the girls look like!

snip...
they have been in veg since under the twin groflo fluro light. This is really holding them up and the new Mars II should pick things up, I really hope it turns up next week, these plants need it. Throughout last week I was able to get the girls out in the natural light on three occassions and the new growth was incredible.

...snip

Have you considered putting in a N facing window in the grow-room/shed to allow for sunlight to enter as a "free" supplemental light source? Melbourne is around 37°S right? So plenty of sun even in winter :)
If worried about peeping people, a semi reflective foil will let the light in and overly inquisitive eyes out. Shutters will keep the sunlight out if you want to fully control lighting times for flower.

Vis vobiscum.

Your right and it would help me. Melbourne is a lovely place to live, the only issue is its on the ass end of the world. As previously, here we have 4 seasons in one day. It can drop 15C in a matter of hours. I went to work at 5am this morning and it was 11C, we got to a big 25C today and are expecting serve rain and 95km winds!

Now if I lived in Brisbane or Sydney that would be a different story

I have to tell you, it shocked the bejesue out of me when I realised it was USD!

It was a youtube moment. I went to the website put the order in and come to the realisation that it was USD when I went you pay using PayPal!

Shit....shit.....shit.

I gathered my thoughts and had a bit of a think..................I will get the 900w (the 1200w will be to big for the area I want) now use it for tha girls now and next month get the 1600w. Then I will have one for veg the other for flowering and the fluros for seeding/cloning.

Now I will need to get the son to build me a smaller veg room, this time have it ready for the new family members in the mail!

Your right and it would help me. Melbourne is a lovely place to live, the only issue is its on the ass end of the world. As previously, here we have 4 seasons in one day. It can drop 15C in a matter of hours. I went to work at 5am this morning and it was 11C, we got to a big 25C today and are expecting serve rain and 95km winds!

Now if I lived in Brisbane or Sydney that would be a different story

:) Hence the window to shut out the weather, and hence the sun as a "supplemental" light source. :)

At the concentrations we are talking of here there is no detrimental effect from vinegar. You'll probably find that there is also next to no beneficial effect as the vinegar has very limited buffering capabilities. You will soon find the pH creeping up again.

Since you are growing in soil, I would suggest you just water with untreated water and then measure the pH of the runoff. chances are that if you have enough peat in your soil the pH will be just fine as peat will lower pH and has excellent buffering capability.

If the runoff pH is too high, add a peat top dressing (if you don't want to work it into the soil).
With most peat/compost soils with high organic content (organic as in decomposing plant matter, not organic as in non chemical fertilizer) you really should have no need to worry about water pH.

If you are using, or suspect you may be using pH sensitive nutrients, try diluting a little in untreated water wait a few hours, then inspect to see of any precipitate has formed. If so, you may need to adjust water pH or get some other nutrients with a more forgiving formulation.

Vis vobiscum

Yep thats what has happened to mine.

They are still alive and I am learning everyday so there is an upside! We will look after these girls and see how they eventually turn out. I have to say this little hobbie is good for the sole. Im really into this at the moment and want to do better on my next grow.

At the concentrations we are talking of here there is no detrimental effect from vinegar. You'll probably find that there is also next to no beneficial effect as the vinegar has very limited buffering capabilities. You will soon find the pH creeping up again.

Since you are growing in soil, I would suggest you just water with untreated water and then measure the pH of the runoff. chances are that if you have enough peat in your soil the pH will be just fine as peat will lower pH and has excellent buffering capability.

If the runoff pH is too high, add a peat top dressing (if you don't want to work it into the soil).
With most peat/compost soils with high organic content (organic as in decomposing plant matter, not organic as in non chemical fertilizer) you really should have no need to worry about water pH.

If you are using, or suspect you may be using pH sensitive nutrients, try diluting a little in untreated water wait a few hours, then inspect to see of any precipitate has formed. If so, you may need to adjust water pH or get some other nutrients with a more forgiving formulation.

Vis vobiscum

I was wondering about the usefulness of vinegar... but since it is soil. Thanks for the knowledgeable opinion.

I am so mad at ProMix BX. I thought I was buying peat moss with amendments.
Instead I was buying a soilless medium PH adjusted to what appears to be more than 7.0
The perlite heavy mix is actually a lower PH.

I've been trolling local stores for real peat moss for weeks. I'll do a top dressing when I can.

Back
Top Bottom