My miracle grow experiment

droppony

for those of you that havent read my journal, i grew 12 plants outside and did a experiment with miracle grow. i used foxfarm on 11 and miracle grow on 1. just to se what will happen.i fed them every 3 days. on the plant that i used miracle grow on it took off way ahead of the rest from the start, they never caught up. they were all the same color through vege ,the plant that i gave miracle grow to finished at 12 feet. and the rest at 9, and the yeald on that one was over 3 pounds, while the rest had about 2.in the end the bud from the miracle grow plant was the same as the others but yealded over a pound more in the end,and they were the same strain. the bud smoked good and smelled just like the others. so in my opinion miracle grow doesnt make your bud taste like ass like people have told me before.now im looking forward to useing it every year on all of my plants!hope this helps any newbys.

lol Miracle grow has a bad rap but in reality it does work as nutrient. I used it for years myself and 1000's of growers use it to this day with great results. But....there are better nutrients out there that are geared more towards cannabis than miracle grow. Miracle grow seems to be a little short in some elements like magnesium. But those short comings can be taken care of with certain supplements.
Glad to hear you got a bumper crop! Good job.

noobie97 said:
People need to quit listening to everyone else and figure out what works for themselves.

That has to be one of the best suggestions/comments I've ever heard period. These posts should be used for guidance and not taken as gospel. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Here's my tip to everyone...if you don't agree with a suggestion or advice someone gives you, ignore it. Going nuts or being a jerk to the suggester doesn't help in anyway. It just causes hard feelings.

noobie97 said:
My first grow I used Miracle Gro. Everyone hate's on it but it worked great for me.

People need to quit listening to everyone else and figure out what works for themselves.
good point! :laughtwo: i used it and it worked for me, and im sticking to it.i had to se for my self.i just cant wait to se how big my monsters will be next:cheesygrinsmiley:

I have to reiterate here guys. While I agree that miracle grow will work if that's all you have or can get, I have to repeat that there are better nutrients to grow with. General Hydroponics 3 part series, Pure Blend, Pure Blend Pro, Earth Juice, Advanced Nutrients and a lot of other nutrients would actually work better for your grows. Some are even made especially for cannabis and have the elements in ratios that compliment cannabis.
I agree that MG products seem to get a bad rap here. But IMO that's because a lot of new growers use it (it's cheap and sold just about everywhere) and make mistakes that are blamed on the nutrient instead of the growers themselves. That's not saying all problems are the growers fault. MG has been known to cause some problems for some growers. That is my opinion anyway.lol Im hope I'm beingt understood as I just medicated.:cheesygrinsmiley:

someone should show rangerdanger this thread.....all i have to say, i agree that MG isnt the best fertilizer out there, but i have to say, the results speak for themselves.

11 plants w/ fox farm = 2 lbs. per plant

1 plant w/ MG = 3 lbs. per plant

just another comment...

MG isnt the best food for plants agreed,but think of it like this....

okay, theres two body builders trying to put on more weight before competition, 1 of them we'll call adam well call the other brian they both train the same, only differences are how they choose to feed themselves.

adam wants to go as healthy as possible and eats an all around diet, complete with eggs, meats, etc, high protien foods (well consider this fox farms). while he is healthier than brian he can only put on so much weight naturally.

now as for brian he decides to go the other less healthy route and use steriods and synthetic chemicals like creatine (well consider htis MG). in the end he is not as healthy as adam but i can guarantee that he puts on a hell of a lot more weight than adam.

so the moral of the story is this; the goal was to put on more weight more quickly. who won.......lol

all i know is that i experimented with the foxfarm and the mg, the bud tasted looked and smelled the same no difference at all. but i had a extra pound on that one. so im using it next year on all of them. it worked for me,but i had to se for my self.the plant that i used miracle grow on was one of the bigest and best looking plants i have ever seen! and that includes on the net. tha thing was ungodly! and i started them in june. i bet i can pull 4 if i start them earlyer.

Chemical ferts. are the devil. :laughtwo:

g3tblunt said:
someone should show rangerdanger this thread.....all i have to say, i agree that MG isnt the best fertilizer out there, but i have to say, the results speak for themselves.

11 plants w/ fox farm = 2 lbs. per plant

1 plant w/ MG = 3 lbs. per plant

I too have done side-by-side experiments.
Organics won, hands down. Not only in an increase in yield but potency and WAY better taste.
Thousands of others have had the same experience, which is why experienced growers who still use miracle grow are as common as hen's teeth.

Miracle grow is like AM/PM hot dogs.
Will they keep you from starving to death? Yeah.
But you'll die of malnutrition.

The first time you use miracle grow or other harsh chem. nutrients, the results are impressive.
But the next year you'll find out you have to use more to achieve the same results. Why? Because miracle grow kills all the benficial micro-organisms that exist naturally in healthy soil, like nematodes, mychorrizae. etc.

The only growers who use miracle grow--I used it for over 20 years--are growers who don't know any better. When I found out how much better organics are, I switched and never went back.

So are you saying that you know better than the thousands of growers who KNOW miracle grow is crap?

no im not saying that at all;
....all i have to say, i agree that MG isnt the best fertilizer out there
im just saying that quantity wise, not quality, for droppony, you can clearly see that he got a better yeild using mg.

If you were only using Fox Farms Grow Big from start to finish then yes, maybe the MG plants did grow taller. You did not switch to one of the many other choices for organic flowering nutrients including other Fox Farms products like Big Bloom or Tiger Bloom.

While the MG plants may have grown taller or bloomed more, this was not an entirely fair test because you used MG in the plants you used Fox Farms in, killing any beneficial micro-organisms that soil may have contained. Also, you kept a steady dose of phosphorus to the MG plants (MG All Purpose Plant Food, 15-30-15) and while failing to switch from Grow Big (6-4-4) to another organic flowering nutrient, you also deprived these plants of this nutrient thus decreasing your overall yeilds.

Also, by measure of taste, I'm absolutly certain the MG stuff didn't taste so great.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but an experiment is only as good as its controls, and this one has way to many variables to be accurate at all.

RooRman said:
you used MG in the plants you used Fox Farms in, killing any beneficial micro-organisms that soil may have contained

What in the MG killed these organisms? I've always been led to believe that they all contain the same elements. It's where the elements came from that is different. Have I been led to believe wrongly?

God , I wish I can keep my mouth shut and stay away from the comp but threads like this pop up and people comepletely miss the point.
Ranger is correct, MG is for beginners and people who don't know better. Might go good if you only grow 1 crop a year but I grow 5 to 10 grows a year and with the better nutes you can change the PNK at different cycles of its life.
Fox farms is a good product but you need the add the other parts than just one. I prefer chem ferts because its easier for me, I been using them in hydro since the beginning and have my own custom blends for differents weeks of the plants life. I use General Hydroponics but might try Advance nutes next year. Organic has been proven better in taste and looks but size depends on the life of the plant and its whole environment including nutes.
I don't know anything about MG killing beni bacs, could be possible but sounds more like a myth.
I have never talked bad about MG because it is a good all around nute and is very simple to use but the way it was compared to the Foxfarm was just note fair. Like having meat but no potatoes.

i wonder could a person who needs bacteria use something like ridex? its bacteria that you add to a septic system.

i overdosed mine with nutes (peters) and the leaves were doin the seashell pretty bad so i flushed them out. tomorrow will be the first watering since then. they are recovering very nicely. I've not tried MG since reading all the opinions on the boards. but i don't have any extra bucks to spend. probably gonna try the piss thing. i also decided to experiment with the old cd's. i have 4 ft. floro's about 4 inches above the plants. i'm using 5 gallon buckets. my bottom leaves were pretty shaded so i placed 3 cd's in each bucket at a 45 degree angle leaning against the sides in a triangle pattern. it really seems to be making a difference. they are having a growth spurt and starting to get really bushy in just a couple of days. its a little hard to say because of the overdose then flushing etc. but i think it helped and its pretty to look at. i also sit with them 3 or 4 times a day and smoke cig's and blow the smoke on them. sorry , don't wanna steal the thread, i got a case of motor fingers.

I think thats the wrong bacteria bro^.

Advance Nutrients is one of the few nutes out there that was made specifically for cannabis. They used to advertize their product like that but very few hydro stores would carry them until they removed cannabis from their packaging. They are also one of the few organic nutes you can use hydroponically. Per Blend pro is also a good one that I can use and contains organics and chemicals.
Chemicals are not bad, its just how you use them, I never have a chemy taste and I personally can't tell the difference between organic bud and reg bud. I also use booster to help with oil production and other things.

Peters, schultz, miracle grow...they are all basically the same thing. Cheap all purpose ferts that are carried in just about every grocery/hardware/home improvement store.. I don't know why miracle grow got the bad rep while the others are considered okay. That is something I would love to figure out though. Any ideas?

It's the most commonly used and mj plants are one of the easiest to burn.
People think more is better,not always the case.

Back
Top Bottom