Home Depot Nutrient Finds

I dunno, it was just a suggestion. I tried searching for lime on their website and got a bunch of wallpaper. That site is as useless as the store is.

I'm really not sure but the concrete/cement/sand might be a good place to look. I can tell you exactly where it's at in any one of three stores local to me that carry it but since none of them are national corporate entities that decide what I can and cannot buy (any of those three stores, being locally-owned and actually valuing my patronage, can and will stock things even if they don't expect to sell more than one or two of the item per month for example), that won't help you. Prices are often - but not always - higher, but the way I look at it, just how cheap do you expect stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, etc. to be after they have driven all of their competition out of business?

And... Yeah, I guess the "look at the construction area" was a little bit vague lol. I meant look for the area where they keep the ingredients that you use when you make your own concrete mix. Long day and all that. My apologies.

BtW, a locally-owned garden center, hardware store, farm supply, or "building center" place ought to have the stuff too, especially since it's Spring.

No dolomite lime at Home Depot in my neck of the woods, but Lows had it! CHEAP! $2.99 for 40lbs so i picked up 80lbs! I think I am set for life! Funny how the container I got to keep it in was more expensive than the lime $8.99, but the lime has more value to me!! I am so thankful I found it!

at hdepot today picked up some vigoro 10-10-10 all purpose liquid and mg 15-30-15 bloom boost, sure i can use something to cut it down. also shultz clone/transplant rooting horome (all about 5$ give or take)
im trying the schulz stuff tonight and put some cuttings in the dome under the 100w 10500lumen cfl i picked up there for 60

they also had 20$ soil ph test meters and n-p-k test kits for like 3$

rc51sport, I have one of those cheap 3 in 1 Ph/Moisture/Light meters with the metal probes. The light and moisture sensors are fine but the PH meters on those things are useless. You're better off with a cheap soil test kit.

I've seen a few higher quality soil PH testers online but you can get an inexpensive digital pen for $20 on fleabay.

another item at home depot that is useful is fine dolomite lime. I bought a 10lb bag on clearance because of a "pencil hole" in the bag for $1.97 I expect it was probably 5 to 10 bucks at normal price.
Yes. That's a good Lowes/Home Depot item for the soil grower as well.

Walmart was selling worm castings last year but they sold out fast at $4 a bag. $12 at the grow shop for the same size bag. Haven't noticed them at wally world so far this year but it's early.

No dolomite lime at Home Depot in my neck of the woods, but Lows had it! CHEAP! $2.99 for 40lbs so i picked up 80lbs! I think I am set for life! Funny how the container I got to keep it in was more expensive than the lime $8.99, but the lime has more value to me!! I am so thankful I found it!
Was that dolomite lime?

The only lime I can find in large quantities in my area, including at Home Depot or Lowes, is Hydrated lime. I have read where Depot does sell large bags of real dolomite lime but I can't find it here. From what I've read, Dolomite is preferred for MJ. The only dolomite I can find is Espoma (pelletized), which I grind to powder with an old coffee grinder.

Anyway, here are my notes on lime ...

Lime neutralizes acidic components, making it a great soil anti-acid. Furthermore, plants utilize applied fertilizers more efficiently on soils that are properly limed.

You will find reference to at least four kinds of lime in agriculture: crushed limestone [Calcium carbonate (CaCO3)], dolomitic lime [Calcium-magnesium carbonate (CaCO3--MgCO3)], burned or quick lime [Calcium oxide (CaO)], and slake or hydrated lime ]Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2)].

Of these, dolomitic lime appears to be the best additive to raise pH and promote growth.

This is because dolomitic lime includes manganese and because dolomite lime acts slowly and continuously. Hydrated lime acts almost instantly. Use hydrated lime instead of dolomite lime for faster results, but don't use too much; you can create toxicity problems, which won't arise with dolomite lime. Always use fine or powdered dolomite lime, since coarser grades take years to have a substantial effect. Dolomite lime is available at most nurseries.

Another benefit to using dolomite lime is that is provides additional magnesium to plants. Magnesium is an essential trace element, the chlorophyll molecule is based around a central magnesium atom.

Do not over-lime. It's best to apply lime only when a soil test shows the PH for your plant is too low. Excess lime is likely to result in iron chlorosis of the plant. If plants appear chlorotic after a lime application, low manganese can be the problem. Applying lime raises the soil pH and reduces the availability of manganese. In such cases, manganese should be applied to the soil.

Hope that helps!!

:peace:

Harry

Yes it was dolomite lime, it says "dolomite lime". Thanks for all the info on lime, how much dolomite lime should I use per gallon?

Jumbo bags of perlite at HD.
OSH has Whitney Farms products, like 25# Dolomite Lime for less than $8. OSH also has "white fly" yellow sticky paper packs too.

Harry Red i wanna give you +rep for starting this thread man only if you knew how many times i have refered people to this thread, and i do so because most of them dont have any hydro stores around so the easiest thing to do is home depot and since you already figured out what ferts can be pretty good for us members take this in considerment and actually try these products

is vigoro all purpose plant food good for my lil ones?

i bought some of that and was wondering the same thing. but im still waiting to see sprouts... its like watching paint dry

for now im going to HD route until i get the fox farm nutes ive been eyeballin
i might run through a bagseed grow with all HD stuff for the hell of it, there will be a journal once they decide to do something

i bought some of that and was wondering the same thing. but im still waiting to see sprouts... its like watching paint dry

for now im going to HD route until i get the fox farm nutes ive been eyeballin
i might run through a bagseed grow with all HD stuff for the hell of it, there will be a journal once they decide to do something

ok well when they sprout let me know how it works cuz vigoro is the only one on this list that is at my home depot around here

Ive read several posts on this site saying that MG nutes are basically made up of the same chemicals and ferts that the Pro mixes use, FF, B52, groBIG, all that stuff.
Just in different concentrations. Well, if used correctly i dont see how it can be any worse than the other nutes.
I think MG got a bad rep because it is very common and cheap so people who may be trying to cut corners for profit, and not doing whats best for thier plants, would use these nutes.
Then while neglect and ignorace run rampid, they grow schwag and then blame the result on the nutes instead of the caretakers.
Just my take on it, treat your ladies well and they will reward you in the end.
Grow BIG:yummy:Grow Proud:rollit:

Ive read several posts on this site saying that MG nutes are basically made up of the same chemicals and ferts that the Pro mixes use, FF, B52, groBIG, all that stuff.
Just in different concentrations.

Got links?

has anyone tried or used vigoro all purpose plant food? im still trying to find out how if it works good or not.

ill let you know when i start using it... just get some its not expensive

would MG quick start mix well with my FFBB ????

If you've got FoxFarms nutrients, why bother with MG?

Or do you just have the one part?

Back
Top Bottom