Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Autos

Re: Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Au

WTF?!? This happened to the rhino literally overnight! I have no clue what happened, and I'm not very confident about what to do. I need help here dot dot dot apparently an awful lot. Can you help a brother out, guys?

Rhino
06-17-17_RR_Top.jpg

06-17-17_RR_Side.jpg

Express
06-17-17_PX_Top.jpg

06-17-17_PX_Side.jpg

Trickle
06-17-17_BT_Top.jpg

06-17-17_BT_Side.jpg

They were watered and fed with a 1/2 solution of ProTech, seaweed liquid and molasses. Kelley check the soil, and it is nice and moist she says.

I am not sure what is going on with the Rhino, it doesn't look like it will make it, I would snip off the bud and dry it, the rest looks like no use for any extra's...after you snip, pour out the dirt/roots/material on a newspaper outside and sift through the soil, look for pests and take a good look at the roots/root ball, they should be a constant off white/tan color after you rinse them with a hose.

What I think is going on with this plant is considered root rot, and doing a autopsy on the roots will confirm it. The roots will be mushy, probably very dark brown/near black looking when rinsed, the roots near the stem will be better/whiter/firmer than mid pot and bottom pot.

This is a sign of not enough drainage from the pots they are in and the temps are too low...I have had this happen many years ago in soil when germinating/starting my plants, over-watering soil and the temperature in the low 70's, raised the temps up to the low 80's and kept the soil slightly damp with run-off showing up maybe 30-60 seconds in a 2 qt size pot.

My disclaimer is that this was back then when the only grow light was from the sun so late winter indoors was still a low sunlight period and cloudy days were common:smokin:

If I were in your and Kelley's shoes, cut your loss with the Rhino, salvage what you can, do a autopsy of the pot it is in to try and answer the unknown questions, and concentrate on the other gals that are not having many issues. If you find what I described when assessing the roots of the Rhino, that will help answer many of the questions on the rest of small quirks the others are having.

:green_heart:
OTM

Re: Grandpa's 1st Grow - Soil - Tent - 300W LED - Blue Mystic & Northern Lights XL Au

OT... that's what I thought about the root rot, I just didn't want to believe it. I had a real sneaking suspicion you are right period good process to check it out. I would have just dump it on the concrete of the back patio and sifted through it then swept it into the grass. Paper makes more sense, as you can wrap it up and just throw it away. I wouldn't be surprised if the pH had something to do with it. Thanks for your help, I really needed someone to verify what I was thinking, although it was way back in my brain where it wouldn't raffle to the foreground.
Alien... thanks for subbing in at this late point in the journal! You are, of course, more than welcome. I am glad you got something out of this journal, and thank you for your kind words. We still have two more to go, and concentration will definitely be on those too. Thanks again for joining us, and stay tuned for my next Journal. I am 100% positive the next will be awesome thanks to all the people on this wonderful forum.

Next time use perlite if you can to improve drainage, mix it at a 15% ratio with the soil.. and do NOT get miracle grow perlite lol

Sorry she went kaput gramps.. i hope the other two will do better. The blue trickle looks to be doing well! But the express doesnt look so great.. not sure if she is having the same problem.

IT... thanks for that great input. We have been fighting with the express for at least three weeks now. She has been stunted almost from the very beginning. What blows me away is the fact that the Rhino looked really good yesterday.
I think we will take OT's advice above and go ahead and harvest the very little we can. We will dump out bolt pots check out the root system and any bugs, then throw all of it away. I'll report any findings here.
That will leave the blue trickle all alone. Once she is done, we will sanitize the 10th very well. Probably using a bleach and water solution. I think I would like to place a little shelf on the bottom of the tent so that the next grow can have the ability of light adjustments as they grow. I'm thinking to cinder blocks with a wooden shelf on top. That should give us the height we need. We will be starting out with a Fresh, clean tent, learned lessons and a flan. A plan put together from what I have learned thus far.

I would like to submit my plan for the next grow for your suggestion, critique, comments and anything any of you would like to let me know. I know I have learned quite a few things from this grow, and they will be employed along with the equipment that OT so graciously sent me.
The soil will be FFOF with about 10 to 15% added plain ole Pearllite.

I think I will see if I can find some organic nutrients that work well with the soil. I would rather do organic other than chemical nutrients as the sodium levels would not build up. I have read and heard good things about Earth Juice nutes. Which of these would any of you suggest, or is anyone familiar with others that may be as effective or better. I know it's a nature thing and an experience thing, but I feel I need some education on these types of things.

Now that I have the meters for pH and PPM reading, I am sure that whatever I give them will be more affected. In learning about controlling pH initially in the base water and then after 24 hours checking it again, I will avoid a lot of the problems we had initially. I feel that doing this way, by not screwing up the beginning, we will have much better results. The idea this time is to keep it as simple as we can. The soil will have plenty of nutrients for the first four to five weeks. That is approximately the time it takes for them to go into flower, then I will need the blooming nutrients and anything else as they tell me they need it. I do have one question about the soil however. After initially placing it in the pot, which will be Fabric, and watering it down, how far do I compact it? Or do I just add more soil to get to the soil level desired in the pot?

We will get another fan to add as an exhaust fan blowing out of this tent for air circulation. Other than that, the tents and light are the same.

I'm sure I am forgetting things, so anything that strikes you that I'm forgetting, that needs correcting, or any general comments and things to think about... Please don't hesitate to post them! It may seem small to you, but it could be huge to us. Thanks again everyone! God bless!

When i fill my fabric pots i add soil to almost the top and compact it until at the halfway mark maybe. then i add soil until the desired level and dont compact it again until after ive transplanted and finished adding the soil around the plant.

It's handy to have the plants sitting on something with an open bottom, that allow air to circulate underneath the pot and plant. I DO NOT have this, but have some 2" tall plant stands on the way. I've seen folks cut off a 5 gallon bucket and place a grill or grate over it for diy drain setup, which works fine and simplifies watering. Anyway, this may have been covered earlier in the journal, just thought it might help ya!!.

Yeah, I can see how that makes sense with the air flow around the pots. I was simply thinking of light adjustment. Thank you very much for that info. The more little things like that, the better things will go.

IT...since we're going to be planting from germinated seed directly into their final home, I'm going to assume just keep it dry compact it down to half way then build it up doing the same process until at the correct level in the pot. Then soak it down, and plant the seeds. Thanks, bro.

I think you are set. Moving the lights up and down will be something you become comfortable with after a few grows of healthy plants doing what they should down below your lights. But like others have mentioned, I'd be careful if you try to get closer than 16-18". I'd be very gradual about getting closer from there.

MG...I have read and have been told not to go below 12 to 14 inches. But to get there consciously, if I have to. Cautiously meaning lower it's an inch and give the girls 3 to 4 days and see how they react. I think starting at 16 inches or so if they look like they're stretching, that's what I will do is lower it little by little. If I get to 12 inches, I stop. However, I doubt that I will be able to keep them that low.
IT...thanks. that tells me I must have compacted this soil lot too much. I put most of my weight on to it when I get it. I think it went down to one third of the pot when I did it instead of 1/2. Then I continually did it until we got to the level so... I won't do that again! Thanks again for correcting me there. Another thing I have figured out is that Details Matter when you initially set up and plant. If things are screwed up then, there is really no way of fixing things like this.

Has anyone used the Earth Juice Trio. I believe that includes a quart each of Bloom, grow and micro blast. I believe it is a good deal for $45 and free shipping. The product look like they are pretty damn good and would augment the soil that will be used. What do you think? Am I correct or way off of Base?

A lot of growers are using Earth Juice right now. Sounds like a solid product from what i gather.

Thanks, PW. By using these, instead of the fox farm Trio, I am organic using nutrients. While there is still the danger of it, the sodium levels should stay very low. I guess I'll order them when our checks hit the bank for July.

Back
Top Bottom