Home Depot Nutrient Finds

I was browsing around looking at nutes available in the national chains and ran across a few easy to find nutrients that could be used in a pinch. I know not everyone has easy access to to a hydro-store. These items are routinely stocked at Home Depot.

Anyway, here's a few that I came across that might be useful.

Alaska Fish Fertilzer
Looks like it might work well as an organic veg nute: NPK = 5-1-1
Lilly Miller :: Alaska Brand

Miracle-Gro Liquid All Purpose Plant Food
Analysis is 12-8-4 so 50% strength is 6-4-2 , which is about the same as full strength Fox Farm's Grow Big (6-4-4) so it should work for vegging.
Miracle-Gro® Liquid All Purpose Plant Food : The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company :

Miracle-Gro Liquid Quick Start
Analysis is 4-12-4 so 75% strength is 3-9-3, which is about the same ratio as full strength Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) so it should work for flowering.
Miracle-Gro® Liquid Quick Start® Plant Food : The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company :

Vigoro Root Stimulator
Might be useful as a starter nute or when transplanting. Here's the blurb..

Vigoro® Root Stimulator & Transplanting Solution 2-5-2 helps plants overcome transplant shock and get off to a better start. Our gentle 2-5-2 formulation provides nutrients that promote new root growth for faster establishment. It also contains Vitamin B1, which many professional growers include in their starter solutions.
Vigoro :: Root Stimulator and Transplanting Solution

If anyone knows of something else that can be easily purchased at national chains and may be useful for our purposes, please add to the list.

Comments welcome!

:peace:

Harry

Is that what you've decided on? The granular version of that stuff is 24-8-16, so if you go with "All Purpose", you should go with the liquid that I have listed. The 12-8-4 NPK ratio will be better to work with than 24-8-16.

I know you said you were only vegging a week or two so you'll probably want something with higher P and lower N as you get further into flowering. To be honest, you'd really be better off using the Alaska Fish for the first couple of weeks and then ease into the Liquid Quick Start, which has a more suitable NPK ratio for flowering.

Harry

One of the main differences with the MG "Bloom Booster" is that it's more concentrated (15-30-15) so you're going to have to start with a very weak solution and work your way in but I see no reason why it can't be used in a pinch.

Good luck and it will be interesting to see what kind of results you have with it.

Harry

You're right about that Racefan. You never know what might be in stock at a given Home Depot, especially this time of year. I did check a several zipcodes, east/west coast and I didn't run across any locations that were not selling these items in the store. You can always check Lowes, Ace Hardware or other national chains, as they usually carry these same items as well.

Online is another matter. I figure If you're ordering online, you'll skip Home Depot and just buy something that is designed specifically for our purposes. ;)

Hightide805, all of these items are for use in soil. I wouldn't know how useful some of these items might be if using hydro. I not actually recommending these nutes either. I'm just suggesting these might be used in a pinch.

Harry

Fish emulsion is about the most useful and widely available ferts. I can think of for vegging plants. I like Neptunes Harvest brand but Alaska works good too. :peace:

I thought this one was for soil only? will this work for hydro

The problem with most soil fertilizers is that they have much of what a plant needs, but not all. Ok for soil grows where the plant can get some things from the soil, but not so much in a hydro environment where the media is inert.

Of course for that reason you can generally use hydro ferts in soil.

another item at home depot that is useful is fine dolomite lime. I bought a 10lb bag on clearance because of a "pencil hole" in the bag for $1.97 I expect it was probably 5 to 10 bucks at normal price.

what area was the lime in? I could only find the pellet version, and the staff is clueless as usual.

Try the construction area.

BtW, cheap coffee grinders are good at turning all sorts of things to powder.

Its home depot, the entire store is in some way related to construction. Do you mean the concrete area?

Back
Top Bottom