Need suggestions regarding Pot size - coco hydro DTW

altainta

Hello,
First of all i am totally newbie in growing this is my very first attempt with free seeds from nirvana.
I am confused on the pot size
Kindly take time to understand my situation

Current - 46 days from seed to veg
I have four unknown strain unknown sex (the sex signs are little not understandable currently will check next week)

I am using Drain to waste in veg and currently preparing for switching to recirculating flowring but i need some advice over it.

I transplanted 2 times the entire life of the plant. Currently i am in
Current POT SIZE
dia - 5.8 inch
Height - 5.1 inch

I think i am using small pot size and will run into problems when i switching to flowring (where transplanting is difficult)

So i want to ask how one will change the pot and when. What size will be needed for transplant. ?

So in short

46 days seeds to veg

My plant size with heavy lst now is (generally). (did heavy lst 4 days ago)

Height - 7"
Width - 16-18"
Medium used - Perlite 30-40% + 60% coco + 10%hydroton (top bottom layer)
system - DTW
Light - CFL (for 4 plant only 3 cfl and 23 watt per cfl). In flowring i will be switching to 400w HPS i didn't planned well for the lighting and it is costly affair. For the 4 plant it was a mistake but will choose a specific strain and go with it next time via cloning.

Current POT SIZE
dia - 5.8 inch
Height - 5.1 inch

in which pot size should i be in currently? (please don't suggest in gallon as it is confusing better in Diameter and height because pot here do not specify with liter or gallon metric)

Re: Need suggestions regarding POT size - coco hydro DTW

I am very sorry but i have very bad camera. Sorry can't upload. hope you don't mind.
They are mostly tied to the pot collar holes (with 4mm aluminium wire) its working great.
Thought i tore a stem 1 inch from middle. The plant is topped 2-3 times and heavy lst.
I hope the size will give you idea though.

edit : And i am also shy because i used too low light for the plant cycle but i hope i will recover that in flowering with 400w. I think my plant size is small for its age ? or is it okay ? (i know the root cause is low light but there are no major strecths on my plant)

you can flower and grow in any size you want. but .imo your pots are realy small.for the end stage. my pots are 13inches wide and 14 inches deep.= 20l. i dont like to re-pot my babies from one pot to another. once my plants have roots i re-pot once in to the bigger pots until finish.
last_pics_003.JPG
40_days_F_012.JPG

Okay i was short in my post because i tend to make very big post which confuses people but now this time i will be more explanative/descritive over the subject.

pointwise
- i am trying to work with thecapn style he uses rockwoll i use coco (because importing rockwool is too costly)
- He says that to use "Top Feed to waste" during veg which i did and i didn't ran with any def or lockdown.
- to use the same method in flowring is costly so recirculating method will be used instead in that.
- in one of his post (simple hydroponics) he says
"Sometimes I use the netpots because when the roots grow out the sides, they air prune themselves, causing new roots to grow. You should transplant up a size a few times. This gets a nice root system growing. If you go with a giant pot right away, roots tend to grow to sides and then circle."
So i used the same method. But i think i have to do the transplant often.
-My second problem was as i was using the DTW hydroponics method still i was feeding by hand and as always human being tend to forget and ignore the feed time many time. So 2 - 3 times feeding is rare occasion mostly 1 time feeding per day. So that also lead to slow growth or can i say not so hydroponics style (in which we feed often).
-This is my first time so i am confused. I used this pot sizes

0-14 (days) - Pot size 2 " x 2 " (with rockwool of 1.5")
15-30 days - Pot size 4" x 4"
31-46 (today) - pot size 5.8" x 5.1"

So i guess i followed the pattern double the size.. Is that a problem ?

no its not a problem buddy.i dont do that. re-potting all the time . iam to old in the tooth for all that....like i said i just re pot once and thats it.all i want is big fat nugs.with no stress and thats what i get.every time for the last 20 years.you will NEVER see my plants stressed .never .why ? .. cause i keep it simple.i average 30- 50 dry zips from a small space. imo 5,8 x5.1 is small. but hey if it works for you .happydays.

when i run NFT i grow from start to finish in 4inch rockwool cubes. BUT, my roots have a spreader matt to lie on.

1) what is zips ? i mean is it considered as 10grams/zip ?

2) Yes i understand but i would really like to know how often do people shift from one pot to another (who ever uses the small pot to big pot method). I mean i shifted when i thought that the plant is outgrowing the container (you get a hinge of it) But i might be wrong because its my first grow ever. I don't want to sound rude but i think you do not use the small -> big pot increment method. I do respect your exp but currently i am using that method so i think i will go with it. Still if some one might answer on it i mean how they shift between 4-5 pots in the entire grow.

sorry buddy just the way we speak in north Scotland. zip=a ounce. 28g.
yea i go from small to final pot. no in between potting for me.there will be some one on here that goes from pot to pot to pot to pot to pot.
only my opinion. from experience. that way is just not necessary. sorry i could not help you any further. good luck.happy growing.

Okay i think i will answer my own question

from the capn
I would suggest using cheap, #1, #2, #3 pots for veg, and not transplant to the large air pot until you get ready to go to flower. In veg, we don't want to "prune" roots or branches or leaves. We want it to grow as big and bushy with the biggest root mass possible. Use a regular nursery pot for veg. Start small, transplant up a size every 2-3 weeks and you will get roots that look like this, no matter what the strain:

Hi Altainta

Did you get my message from the other thread?

No gaurav. but after you posted here i check it. Thx for replying back i almost forgetted that.
The said thread is so long so i lost the track of it.
I want to still ask few question but i guess here it is limited. because we can't go private. (as your post are also too low).
Still i will ask you few short things so kindly hold on for 1-2 days as i am also busy in few things will make a list of question and will ask you.

The smallest pot I've ever used with coco, 3gal. You can grow trees in a small amount of coco. I agree with the others, big up your size.
Respect

Two gallon Hempy buckets (DTW) coco/perlite, two plants (Mr. Nice Seeds Black Widow, 6 plus zips dried, 7 sqft 400W HPS.
Seeded in Hempy cups, one transplant into the 2 gallon Hempys. Curing now.
Have 7-2 gallon Hempys with some clones from these two plants, harvest in about 3 to 5 weeks. Four are in the Cabinet under the 400W HPS and three are in the closet under a SS400 LED.

GR

20150501_183405.jpg
20150429_071215_-_Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom