New Grower & It's A Guess Grow!

Thanks, ItsNatural. I'm sitting around thinking of defoliating the bigger Northern Lights x chronic. What are your thought of removing the "food" at this stage in flower? :thanks:

As far as defoliating, I prolly would take a few big fan leafs from the middle that are blocking the lower bud sites.

As far as flushing goes.....that kind of talk is liable to start a riot. lol Everyone has their own opinion with their own references as to why their opinion is "right". With synthetics, I would say for sure. (IMO) With organics, its a little more complicated. Some say flush no matter what. But the thing with organics is, Other than the fact that one of the points (I thought) was it was suppose to give a better taste, And If you flush that out, wouldnt that defeat the point? Thats me honestly asking cuz IDK. BUT what I DO KNOW is this.
The soil is basically alive. Filled with beneficial bacteria. The bacteria eat the exudates (simple sugars, carbons, carbohydrates) that the plant puts out through its roots, who are then eaten by the protozoa, and what it excreted by the protozoa is plant available nutrients. Beneficial fungi protect the plant from pathogens and harmful microbes, as well as creating pathways in the soil that bring water and nutrients back to the plant from larger distances. Bacteria and fungi work together in decomposing organic material and making the nutrients plant available. So Even when you quit feeding it, the beneficials are still in there doing work. But I guess you can at least control how much food is available to them.

I think, IMHO, that when growing organically, Cut the nutes the last 7 -10 days, and focus more on a good cure. I think there will be a bigger difference in a good cure than the flush. But Im sure there are better qualified people with more experience and knowledge to be giving advice in this critical time. :) Thats just what I do.

As far as defoliating, I prolly would take a few big fan leafs from the middle that are blocking the lower bud sites.

As far as flushing goes.....that kind of talk is liable to start a riot. lol Everyone has their own opinion with their own references as to why their opinion is "right". With synthetics, I would say for sure. (IMO) With organics, its a little more complicated. Some say flush no matter what. But the thing with organics is, Other than the fact that one of the points (I thought) was it was suppose to give a better taste, And If you flush that out, wouldnt that defeat the point? Thats me honestly asking cuz IDK. BUT what I DO KNOW is this.
The soil is basically alive. Filled with beneficial bacteria. The bacteria eat the exudates (simple sugars, carbons, carbohydrates) that the plant puts out through its roots, who are then eaten by the protozoa, and what it excreted by the protozoa is plant available nutrients. Beneficial fungi protect the plant from pathogens and harmful microbes, as well as creating pathways in the soil that bring water and nutrients back to the plant from larger distances. Bacteria and fungi work together in decomposing organic material and making the nutrients plant available. So Even when you quit feeding it, the beneficials are still in there doing work. But I guess you can at least control how much food is available to them.

I think, IMHO, that when growing organically, Cut the nutes the last 7 -10 days, and focus more on a good cure. I think there will be a bigger difference in a good cure than the flush. But Im sure there are better qualified people with more experience and knowledge to be giving advice in this critical time. :) Thats just what I do.

Thanks, IN..... I'm not ready to start flushing yet. My plant has at least another month or more to go. I was concerned about taking out some fan leaves, because I thought that is where the buds get their nutrition. So yeah, there are big fan leaves blocking those big buds growing underneath, but will that screw things up if I remove them? I'm just pushing them aside right now and I rotate my plant about 6 times a day.

In the long run, I do plan on "flushing" the plants a week before harvest. I'm also going to wash the harvest right after it's cut. My goal is to get a really good taste and I will do whatever I can to see that happens. Since this is my first "successful" grow and it's taken A LONG TIME. I don't want to screw it up at the end :thanks:

Thanks, IN..... I'm not ready to start flushing yet. My plant has at least another month or more to go. I was concerned about taking out some fan leaves, because I thought that is where the buds get their nutrition. So yeah, there are big fan leaves blocking those big buds growing underneath, but will that screw things up if I remove them? I'm just pushing them aside right now and I rotate my plant about 6 times a day.

In the long run, I do plan on "flushing" the plants a week before harvest. I'm also going to wash the harvest right after it's cut. My goal is to get a really good taste and I will do whatever I can to see that happens. Since this is my first "successful" grow and it's taken A LONG TIME. I don't want to screw it up at the end :thanks:

I hear that. And if your constantly tucking the fan leafs and rotating your plants you prolly dont even need to defoliate. Not sure. But I do know that some people swear by it. and will defoliate 3/4th of the plant. Only leaving the top leafs on each branch. It seems to do them just fine. I was never brave enough to go that far, plus im growing in a screen. I honestly prolly wouldnt even worry about it. You seem to be doing pretty good with what you are doing. :thumb:

I've been giving my potted outdoor plants a quarter turn every morning. I'm going to take a couple cuttings in attempt to get some clones.

I've also been pushing a metal rod down to the bottoms of the pots every other time I feed. I then slowly pour the nutes into the holes left behind. I have no idea why I'm doing that but I am. hahahahaha

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've been giving my potted outdoor plants a quarter turn every morning. I'm going to take a couple cuttings in attempt to get some clones.

I've also been pushing a metal rod down to the bottoms of the pots every other time I feed. I then slowly pour the nutes into the holes left behind. I have no idea why I'm doing that but I am. hahahahaha

Sounds like you have a system set up that works for you! I turn my plants about 6 times a day. I'm not sure why you are putting nutes into holes --- are you trying to be selective which roots get fed? :morenutes:

Oh, I love the smell of marijuana growing in the morning! This morning I mini-flushed all the flowering plants with great bottled water. They look so happy :allgood: With the watering I noticed the humidity was creeping up to 60+ degrees, and the one last Damp Rid I was using was almost filled with water. So, up to the Home Depot to purchase new Damp Rids:

damp_rid.jpg

This keeps my humidity at 35! Works wonders.... be kind to your plants and yourself!

WillysMom, as I stated I don't know why I'm doing the rod/ holes thing. When I water I like the idea of it getting to the bottom. With the big pots I use I'm not sure a gallon of water gets all the way to the bottom. I have never seen any run out from the drain holes in the pots.

WillysMom, as I stated I don't know why I'm doing the rod/ holes thing. When I water I like the idea of it getting to the bottom. With the big pots I use I'm not sure a gallon of water gets all the way to the bottom. I have never seen any run out from the drain holes in the pots.

Ahhhh, got ya. Well, it's a good idea to give them enough water -- so give them more water until you see run off. After that let them dry out. Easy-peasy! :thumb:

Are u afraid of cutting roots like that. You should be watering till 10% runoff or so.

We have had a lot of rainfall this summer. Several rains exceeding 2-3". I was going to water today but rain was in the forecast. Now they are saying the rain missed us. I'll water a bit heavier tomorrow if the forecast looks clear.

As far as the rod goes, I suppose it does some "damage" but I can't complain about my plant growth. Maybe I'll knock the rod. LOL

LOL! Probably a good idea! Are those plants going into tents? You won't have to worry about the weather :goodjob:

The rain is the best part of outdoor growing......days on days of raining can be a problem....but most times they do great after rain. And since paying attention to thunderstorms they also grow more over night and look so happy the next morning from the nitrogen that is produced with lighting.

The only time I take my plants to the greenhouse during rain is when they are babies and their stems are still weak.

The rain is the best part of outdoor growing......days on days of raining can be a problem....but most times they do great after rain. And since paying attention to thunderstorms they also grow more over night and look so happy the next morning from the nitrogen that is produced with lighting.

The only time I take my plants to the greenhouse during rain is when they are babies and their stems are still weak.

That's good to know. I should consider growing on outdoors. I had some herbs going on and I've been dumping my soil in the outside garden. Then I saw my cat peeing in it! Scratching and covering it up as well. I don't want to eat that oregano now!:loopy:

We have had a lot of rainfall this summer. Several rains exceeding 2-3". I was going to water today but rain was in the forecast. Now they are saying the rain missed us. I'll water a bit heavier tomorrow if the forecast looks clear.

As far as the rod goes, I suppose it does some "damage" but I can't complain about my plant growth. Maybe I'll knock the rod. LOL

You could alway just run a couple of tubes or hoses down it with a bunch of holes poked in them. That way you only have to rod it once. You know, if that is something you really want to keep doing. But I would just keep watering until you see runoff. To each their own though. :)

Back
Top Bottom