New grower with issue

RoadKing07

I have two plants about a month old and tranplanted them into 3 gal pots. One of the plants have black curled leaf tips on many of the leaves. I am using Fox grow soil and they are under an HID light at 18 inches. The heat is moderate at the tops and stay at around 82 degrees in the grow tent. The plants are otherwise looking healthy. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong. This is my first grow. Also I just purchased LED lighting but havent installed yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Palm Bay

Welcome to :420:

It would be easier to diagnose with a picture. There's a how to post pictures that I will find link for you.
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Also check out the problem solver linked in my signature.

Other info that would help:
Are they old or new leaves?
What fertilizers have you used?
Is it getting worse or has it stopped spreading?
Does affected part of leaf look dead or just discolored?

Might be phosphorus deficiency. Check out the photo in problem solver. That's best I can do without photo or more description.

Thank you for your reply and will try to upload pictures and will look at your link. To answer your questions the tups seem to have affected the newer leaves and are discolored blackish just at the tips. They are rounded and curled under. The salesman I bought the Fox Grow soil said there should be enough nutes already in the soil so I would not need fertilizer for about a month so I havent given any additional nutrients yet. I understand its difficult to diagnose without pictures and will work on getting them uploaded. Thanks again for your help Rabbi.

I have two plants about a month old and tranplanted them into 3 gal pots. One of the plants have black curled leaf tips on many of the leaves. I am using Fox grow soil and they are under an HID light at 18 inches. The heat is moderate at the tops and stay at around 82 degrees in the grow tent. The plants are otherwise looking healthy. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong. This is my first grow. Also I just purchased LED lighting but havent installed yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Palm Bay

From seed, takes 2-6 weeks to be done seedling stage ( when rapid leaf/steam growth occurs it has finished creating its initial root and is focusing on foliage ) Stress can occur if transplanted too early (before a nice root has formed)

Fox grow soil ? I'm not familiar with Fox products
potting mix or garden soil, they are NOT interchangeable

I ask because one thing you did not mention is your watering habit.

82 with lights on ? 85 is when growth slows/stops.
get that temp down, 72-75 day, 62-67 night temps

asking the right questions might help more, so here goes:

1. How long have the leaves beens turning black/curling?
2.top or bottom first?
3.whole plant affected?
4.what is your current lighting schedule?
5.how often have you been watering?

[ if a plant basically wilts overnight, its usually root problems which heat ]

Thanks Sweeet and I am definitely making my mistakes during this first grow. I screwed up from the start using initial containers without drainage. I transplanted them after 3 weeks of very slow growth. The seedling soil was FoxFarm Light Warrior Seed Starter. They are now in FoxFarm Ocean Forest Porting Soil. I didnt realize Seedling stage goes as long as 6 weeks. I may have used the vegging soil too soon and caused stress. Also when I transplanted them into 1 gal pots I did not have enough soil so the plants were way down below the top of the pot. So yes I transplanted them once again after two weeks into 3 gal pots. The roots were not as developed as I have learned they shouldve been. Onto the over watering...yes I was over watering them too and had firm drooping leaves. That has been the hardest thing for me is not to over water...but Im learning. The black curled leaves seem to be all at the same level which leads me to believe they were stressed at the one point probably from all the transplanting. I will say that after weeks of no growth they are now growing allot. The heat has been an issue in spite of having an in line fan but I have no way of exhausting the heat out of the room. I was going to cut a hole in the ceiling for an exhaust into the attic but didnt want to go to that extreme. So I just replaced the HID light with an LED light system. Something called a P300 Platinum...I just installed it last night and temps are now in the low to mid 70s. Of course I live in Florida so AC is usually on but have cooler temps lately. I am keeping a journal cause I wont remember all this during my next grow. I am planning for only 2 or 3 plants per grow cycle and am really enjoying this. Thank you for your advise and I am reading some of the posted journals online here. Big source of info here. Thanks again and hope I answered most of the questions.

Also I wonder your thoughts on LED lighting. I wstched the sales videos and selected what I thought was the best one. Its new technology so I dont know allot about them. I was desperate for a solution to my hot conditions in the tent. Thanks again.
Palm Bay

+Reps for admitting.
first step to not making the same mistake twice, that and writing it down....
in soil i prefer the lift test.
fill the same sized pot with the same soil, let it dry out and call it the lift-pot
then compare your planted pot to the lift pot and water when it feels light like the lift pot.

I read on here to stick a glass rod into the pot bottom like you would a cake. if the soil sticks to the rod at the bottom its wet still.

Advanced Platinum P300? looks like a solid built light with a more than decent warranty.
One issue with LED's is the bigger diodes burn plants if too close, however cool the light may be. Platinum overcomes the intensity issue by staying with 3w diodes but utilizing a secondary lens to focus the light. One note, LED lights don't have the light spread HID's do. Meaning you may need multiple p300's to cover more than the rated "core coverage" area.

Well...my two plants have started flowering...Blueberry Auto Fem and due to the initial stunted growth they are a bit small and expecting a small yield. I still have the black curled leaf tip issue with the one plant. I have not added any nutients yet and am not sure when I should. They have been in fresh soil for just about a week so am told theres enough to last 3 weeks. Ill keep things the way they are for now. Keeping my journal and am having a great time doing this. My next grow will be White Widow...maybe 3 plants then too. Thanks for listening and providing me years of experience.
Palm Bay...gotta change this name too...lol

Well...my two plants have started flowering...Blueberry Auto Fem and due to the initial stunted growth they are a bit small and expecting a small yield. I still have the black curled leaf tip issue with the one plant. I have not added any nutients yet and am not sure when I should. They have been in fresh soil for just about a week so am told theres enough to last 3 weeks. Ill keep things the way they are for now. Keeping my journal and am having a great time doing this. My next grow will be White Widow...maybe 3 plants then too. Thanks for listening and providing me years of experience.
Palm Bay...gotta change this name too...lol

You don't have a mobile phone?:Namaste: Anything that can take a pic and be hooked to pc/ it is a bit difficult to guess on the black tip.
My seeds in waiting are white widow fem too :)

Angry bird...I was able to upload the photos I took I thought but when I go to my gallery there isnt anything there. Not sure what Im doing wrong but will keep at it. From what I am reading it takes 8 or 9 weeks to flower. Problem is we are going out of town for Christmas. I heard they have auto water devices. Ill look into that.

I dont see a camera icon in the reply box. I actually only use my mobile phone on here and I just now see the selection for either Desktop or Mobile and Desktop is selected with the mobile selection grayed out. I have time this weekend to play with this site and will get this fixed. I may have to bring in the calvary and have my wife help...lol. I plan on making growing a life time effort and not just a fad. I will use this site to learn from you all and then to be able to eventually help others. Thanks for your help Angry Bird.
Yesterday was the first day for my lighting to 12 on 12 off and my plants are flowering wonderdully. Although I wonder since these are Autoflower plants does it even matter what light schedule I use?
Now I have the smell to deal with and will have to figure something out to resolve that. I have an inline filter but the hose exhuast blows into the room. I really dont have a way to blow it out a window or something. I was thinking about cutting a hole in the ceiling and installing a flange but I dont know if I want to do that.
One more thing I have a question which I am confused on is how long will flowering take for these plants. I read some saying 8 or 9 weeks then read some saying 2 or 3. I have a microscope ordered and know the trichomes (?) will let me know but since we are out of town for Christmas I want to plan it out. Whew...sorry this post is a bit wordy but greatly appreciate the help.

If they plants are Autos from what I have read light schedule don't matter as they will flower when they are ready no matter, but I haven't grown any yet. Flowering time takes minimum 8 weeks I think (8-10 seems average depending on strain and type), never heard of any doing it in 2 to 3 weeks anyway and that seems impossible to me. Only on my 2nd grow but IMHO trying to plan it out doesn't seem to work, as they will do what they want when they want ;) lol

Thanks Urbanmonk for the info. This is my first grow and do much info is out there. Much of it accurate and helpful but some is not so accurate. I watched a video this morning where this guy washes his buds after harvest and before drying. He mixed it in a solution of lemon juice and baking soda. Acid and an alkaline which I would think cancells eachother out. He never states the advantage of it.

20161121_180747.jpg
20161121_180744.jpg

Thanks Urbanmonk for the info. This is my first grow and do much info is out there. Much of it accurate and helpful but some is not so accurate. I watched a video this morning where this guy washes his buds after harvest and before drying. He mixed it in a solution of lemon juice and baking soda. Acid and an alkaline which I would think cancells eachother out. He never states the advantage of it.

There is a whole topic on the bud washing thing here too, many folks swear by it as you will tell if you read thru the topic. I'm just too "old school" I guess as it just seems "so wrong"......to each their own, and whatever works for you more power to you. On my 2nd grow so I'm seriously still learning the "how to grow right" part, almost past the "flying by the seat of my pants" stage at least ;) LOL.

Back
Top Bottom