New grower with the typical is it ready question

The Dogfather

420 Member
Hi all, I've enjoyed reading and am at that rookie grower moment when I want to chop but don't want to make a mistake. Pictures below are of a Jack Herer Autoflower started the first week of March. As you can see a fairly low tech grow. LED lights but no tent. Grown in dirt. Buds have nice density, stopped nutes 3 weeks ago thinking it was almost ready. The trichomes on the buds look ok to me, but on the sugar leaves, no amber. Some of the fan leaves are beginning to yellow. Any input would be appreciated. LMK if you need any other pics.
IMG_9426.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg

Welcome Dogfather, nice plant! If it were mine I'd feed her until the very end as I've come to learn the end game of starving them is counter productive and not at all better tasting. That's if she's still making a fair amount of new pistols still. Seems to be but I can't really see. My way to go is feed to the end, and the end it when there's no new pistols or all milky trichomes with a few ambers if grown indoors.

Hey @The Dogfather, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Looks pretty good for a first grow, and you are almost done, so congrats! I am not at all a fan of starving your plants at the end as I think this does a great disservice to the plant that needs more nutrition at the end to finish out the buds than at any other time in the grow, but I know that they popular myths going around tell you that you need to do this. Maybe next time you can try feeding right up to the end and see what a difference it makes in the plant not yellowing at the end, and probably getting much bigger and producing more.

You could try feeding her again to help her finish out as you continue to watch for amber trichomes at the top, but even if you don't, she will continue to cannibalize what she needs to in order to finish, and you will have bud at the end. Next time you will do better... we all did in the beginning. Good luck, be patient and enjoy your harvest!

Welcome Dogfather, nice plant! If it were mine I'd feed her until the very end as I've come to learn the end game of starving them is counter productive and not at all better tasting. That's if she's still making a fair amount of new pistols still. Seems to be but I can't really see. My way to go is feed to the end, and the end it when there's no new pistols or all milky trichomes with a few ambers if grown indoors.
Thanks for the advice. Have one growing outdoors now, so will try.

Hey @The Dogfather, welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Looks pretty good for a first grow, and you are almost done, so congrats! I am not at all a fan of starving your plants at the end as I think this does a great disservice to the plant that needs more nutrition at the end to finish out the buds than at any other time in the grow, but I know that they popular myths going around tell you that you need to do this. Maybe next time you can try feeding right up to the end and see what a difference it makes in the plant not yellowing at the end, and probably getting much bigger and producing more.

You could try feeding her again to help her finish out as you continue to watch for amber trichomes at the top, but even if you don't, she will continue to cannibalize what she needs to in order to finish, and you will have bud at the end. Next time you will do better... we all did in the beginning. Good luck, be patient and enjoy your harvest!
Thanks, Emilya. Will try to ride it out a little longer!

Hi all, I've enjoyed reading and am at that rookie grower moment when I want to chop but don't want to make a mistake. Pictures below are of a Jack Herer Autoflower started the first week of March. As you can see a fairly low tech grow. LED lights but no tent. Grown in dirt. Buds have nice density, stopped nutes 3 weeks ago thinking it was almost ready. The trichomes on the buds look ok to me, but on the sugar leaves, no amber. Some of the fan leaves are beginning to yellow. Any input would be appreciated. LMK if you need any other pics.
IMG_9426.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg
Hello @The Dogfather :ciao:
Welcome to 420magazine.
When she is finished flowering and building for you their white pistols turn red and crinkle in.
Never harvest white pistils.
Then check your tric's.
Clear / cloudy energetic feeling.
Cloudy / amber relaxed feeling.
Beautiful lady my friend.
Here is a link if you want to meet everyone and say hi.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill284

:welcome: to the community, Dogfather! Let me know if you need help finding anything. 420 Magazine can be a confusing place for the uninitiated.

Back
Top Bottom