New Guy, New Setup, Help with Temps!

If you are in Canada, check out the Atmosphere Vortex S-Line at GrowLights Canada. They are an on-line retailer for our sponsor Mars Hydro. They are good people, I've dealt with for over ten years. What? I've only been growing for three? They have a sister company dealing in other imports.
I am in the good old US, but will do some digging.

Im a huge fan of hyperfans. Haha. Incredibly powerful and the most efficient on the market, how do you get any better than that? I also really like the thermostatic speed controller they offer. I'll never waste money on a fan that's not a hyperfan. I dealt with AC infinity and some of the earliest inline units they had. I won't give them any business, if you won't provide a fan curve for customers to make an informed decision with, I'll pass.

I need to find a way to get rid of this 4" stuff!

CraigsList? Just remember to meet in a public place; it's unwise to give a potential thief directions to your house.

Im a huge fan of hyperfans.

Kind of sucks that the HyperFan company is now owned by the Scotts Miracle-Gro monster. It's been quietly(?) buying well-known companies in the cannabis industry for a while, now, through its Hawthorne Gardening Company shell corporation. And it looks like they're buying up multiple companies that offer the same type of product, so that if someone realizes that "company A" is owned by S M-G and, therefore, decides to buy from "company B," instead... There's a decent (indecent? :rolleyes: ) chance that the customer will still end up enriching the monster with his/her money.

Just have a look at the multiple nutrient, fan, and filter companies on their list of brands and you'll see what I mean:
Code:
https://www.hawthorne-gardening.com/

...like if WalMart decided that, instead of competing with all the stores in your town... to just buy them instead :mad: 💢 😠 Hmm... This forum needs a : pissed off: "smiley."

Hey some quick thoughts on setup:
Add a slim rotating tower fan and/or some lil clip on fans to create airflow.
I would also detach your filter until it's needed . I usually don't need my filter until late into flower. This will greatly extend life of filter and also allow fan to move much more air unrestricted. I would just add a few feet of flex duct. Great setup . Good luck.

Yup when I started nothing I used was part of the Hawthorne conglomerate, now most of it is. Shoot I mean they have sunlight or htg supply now as well right? Even if you don't buy a product from a company they own the money still trickles back to them. No escaping it, but for the quality of a hyperfan, I'll let them have a cut as long as they don't screw them up. I'm not going to stop using a product that works because someone else owns it's now.

Kind of sucks that the HyperFan company is now owned by the Scotts Miracle-Gro monster. It's been quietly(?) buying well-known companies in the cannabis industry for a while, now, through its Hawthorne Gardening Company shell corporation.

actually not so quiet. there is a famous rumour of a meeting the ceo had with the heads of the different departments a couple years ago.

the ceo asked for their plans, and they gave him the usual reports of developing lawn and garden products.

at which point he yelled in fury at them to get their collective heads out of their asses, and realize the only growth in the industry was going to be cannabis.

the rest has followed suit

Yup when I started nothing I used was part of the Hawthorne conglomerate, now most of it is. Shoot I mean they have sunlight or htg supply now as well right? Even if you don't buy a product from a company they own the money still trickles back to them.

this is a multiple industry phenomenon. the largest ones keep swallowing up anything smaller in order to keep market share. i've seen it in two totally different industries i worked in. liquor sales and show production.

It's a good list of brands to stay away from

:thumb: .

if you can.

Yeah... Not as easy - or as simple - as it used to be. Used to be if you didn't like a company's product, you bought from a different company. Or if you did like the product, but couldn't abide the company's business practices, the attitudes of its owners, some of the rather concerning things it was spending its profits on, or some of the other entities that it was entering / had entered into business relationships with... Same thing, you looked around, found a product of comparable quality/utility, and bought that.

Now, you stand in a store, reach for your favorite product, remember reading that the company is now owned by {entity}, grab something from a different shelf, remember that it's also owned by {entity}, turn around and grab something from the shelf behind you, remember that it, too, is owned by {entity}, walk into a different aisle - and it's rinse/lather/repeat.

Yup when I started nothing I used was part of the Hawthorne conglomerate, now most of it is. Shoot I mean they have sunlight or htg supply now as well right?

The list was on the web page I posted the link to (above) and, AfaIK, it's current or nearly so. Let's see...
  • Botanicare
  • Mother Earth Products
  • Eco Plus
  • PAR Pro Grow Lamps
  • Measure Master
  • PowerAll
  • AgroLED
  • Sun System
  • Gavita Horticultural Lighting
  • Tightan Controls
  • Grower's Edge
  • Super Sprouter
  • Rainmaker
  • GroVision
  • Urban Oasis
  • SpectraLux
  • General Hydroponics
  • Black Ops Carbon Filters
  • Hydro Flow
  • Shear Perfection
  • LEC Grow Lamps
  • GrowLab
  • Galaxy Ballasts
  • Vermicorp Organics
  • Sun Hut
  • Ideal Air
  • HyperFan
  • Buried Treasure Guano
  • Sunlight Supply
  • TRAP Carbon-Lined Bags
  • Can-Filters
  • Harvest Keeper
  • Ultra Sun
  • Duralastics
  • Sun Film
  • Sun Blaze
  • Sure Test
  • Hurricane Fans/Ventilation
  • Gro Pro
  • Phresh Filter
  • FastFit
  • Flo-n-Gro
  • Alchemist Grow Room Cleaning Products
  • Sun Grip

I might have missed a couple :rolleyes: . And they're also tied in with other entities in the cannabis industry through business relationships.

No escaping it, but for the quality of a hyperfan, I'll let them have a cut as long as they don't screw them up. I'm not going to stop using a product that works because someone else owns it's now.

I can understand that. I "cut my hydroponic teeth" on General Hydroponics products a long time ago, and used their products nearly exclusively for years. And... I bought a couple of their products within the last year or so :rolleyes: . I already had most of "a complete set" of GH nutrients/supplements on hand from a combination of what I had from past years and what friends had given me, and - after thinking about it for a while - it kind of made sense to go ahead and buy them. I wasn't exactly happy to do so, but... <SHRUGS> . I also bought the basic Fox Farm "trio," to play around with, and I'll probably end up trying out the (base) set of DNF nutrients in the next year or two, to see how I like using them and whether one of them would be an adequate substitute for GH products.

I also picked up both a bottle and a largish sack of Osmocote Plus a couple years ago at an end-of-season sale when they were greatly marked down ( <$2 for the bottle, something like $5 for the sack). And then, later, I learned that the Osmocote brand is owned by... Scotts Miracle-Grow <FACEPALM>.

actually not so quiet. there is a famous rumour of a meeting the ceo had with the heads of the different departments a couple years ago.

Probably not a rumor, all things considered.

this is a multiple industry phenomenon. the largest ones keep swallowing up anything smaller in order to keep market share. i've seen it in two totally different industries i worked in. liquor sales and show production.

The "if you're not growing, you must be shrinking" attitude?

I wouldn't mind eating until I wasn't hungry any more. And, once in a while, it'd probably be fun to eat until I was full. But I cannot imagine deciding to get fat so I could eat everything on the doggone table.

My guess is that S M-G's ultimate goal is to leave just enough companies independent of it in each part of the industry that they cannot be hit with the anti-monopoly laws.

They ship with a basic speed controller. The good one is a separate product. It ramps the speed up and down depending on the temp at the probe. It also allows you to set a minimum fan speed so your fan isn't off when your under the setpoint.

The body is anodized aluminum so screws and clamps will scratch it. I use hard duct for the fittings and long runs so good foil tape is enough to hold it together for my setup. Foil tape with the red lettering on it is code approved and much stronger, sticks better than the plain silver tape.

As far as your odd space, scrog it, won't matter, say 2 plants in 15 gallon pots. As far as your fan though...best fan I ever found is the AC Infinity 6' exhaust fan. Automatically speed adjusts itself to whatever set temperature, AND can help regulate humidity in the tent as well. GREAT for saving on watts of power too...I believe 40W ONLY! Your filter, what kind you using?? I remember I got busted by the cops and they said couldn't smell shit around my house or anything cause I was using a phresh filter 6" Australian virgin charcoal that collects more contaminants in its pores and surface. Moved since to Colorado. Intake, again would suggest a 4" AC Infinity cause you can sequence with the AC Infinity 6" and they work in conjunction with one another on speed, temperature, and humidity. Be sure to use an intake filter too for better IPM on bugs and mold too. Schroom cap??? Hope I helped, trying to change my name to my Instagram, and other social media as 420refugee.

They look similar, but there are very few actual details on them. It would be nice to see a fan curve and power consumption numbers.
In any industry there are those who pave the way and those that ride the wave.

All great information, but I didn’t see anyone provide a VPD chart for reference.
You can run whatever temp (within reason) as long as the RH% is correct.

This is the one that I found most helpful as a good base reference.
EFC116DE-FFA2-45E9-B5B6-307C9D086FE6.jpeg

All great information, but I didn’t see anyone provide a VPD chart for reference.
You can run whatever temp (within reason) as long as the RH% is correct.

This is the one that I found most helpful as a good base reference.
EFC116DE-FFA2-45E9-B5B6-307C9D086FE6.jpeg

To properly measure the vapor pressure defecit you need to measure the leaf surface temperature. Your chart does not account for that at all. There's a very big difference in the charts for +1° and -4°.
Right now the focus is on making sure he has properly sized equipment to begin trying to dial things in closer.

You'll be happy with a hyperfan

Back
Top Bottom